Best all around noise canceling headphones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Kraken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have beats and can't stand them for noise canceling and sound quality. For a sub $300 set of headphones, what's best for med school and beyond? Sure ear plugs work great but I dont always like silence and I'm not always at the library in solitude. Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

I personally prefer in-ear earphones, because they are usually much more portable and compact than the over-the-ear ones. Sound isolating earphones work pretty well and for me personally makes more sense than sound-cancelling.

I currently use a pair of ultimate ears triple fi's that I got on sale, which I absolutely love. Easily the best pair of earphones i've ever used. Once I have some soft music playing, the outside world is effectively shut out from me.

I've previously used a pair of shure e2c headphones, which were pretty decent too. Sennheiser tends to get great reviews as well.

Audiophile equipment gets ridiculously expensive for marginal benefit after a while. For a general consumer, they say the best bang for your buck is about the ~100-200$ range anyway.

I should also mention that Beats has an absolutely terrible reputation in 'audiophile circles' as does Bose.

Last edited:
I have a pair of beats and Bose quiet comfort15 (both about 300) - the Bose headphones are much better quality. I know they aren't sub 300, but if you want to get a pair of headphones worth close to it's price tag (especially compared to Beats), I would go with the Bose QC15.

I know Audioteknika are a good cheaper alternative (80 bucks?), but I don't think they really compare to the Bose. I would also check other companies out such as Sennheiser - they make some good stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally prefer in-ear earphones, because they are usually much more portable and compact than the over-the-ear ones. Sound isolating earphones work pretty well and for me personally makes more sense than sound-cancelling.

I currently use a pair of ultimate ears triple fi's that I got on sale, which I absolutely love. Easily the best pair of earphones i've ever used. Once I have some soft music playing, the outside world is effectively shut out from me.

I've previously used shure headphones, which were pretty decent too. Sennheiser tends to get great reviews as well.

Audiophile equipment gets ridiculously expensive for marginal benefit after a while. For a general consumer, they say the best bang for your buck is about the ~100-200$ range anyway.

I agree with this too. In-ear headphones are a great way to get a great sound and block out noise for less money (you can get a great pair of earbuds for 60-100). Only bad side of having nice ear buds is they get lost somewhat easily (I've lost upwards of $500 in nice earbuds over the years - but i'm somewhat forgetful and irresponsible about those bad boys)

CNET reviews

I've heard great things about #1, Klipsch noise-isolating earphone. It's ~$80 in Amazon.

CNET reviews 2

It looks like Bose one, ~$299, is a great option to consider.

I personally have JVC RX900. This is ~$60 in Amazon right now, and it is not noise-canceling. However, although my ears could get warm if I use this headphone for a while non-stop, I thoroughly enjoyed its sound quality. Right out of the box, it might not be as impressive, but as I used it for some time, I am happy with its quality. I am not an audiophile, but as a classical musician, I wanted a decent quality and it fits in my head nicely. But for girls, this headphone might seem unattractive and way too large.

I currently have beats and can't stand them for noise canceling and sound quality. For a sub $300 set of headphones, what's best for med school and beyond? Sure ear plugs work great but I dont always like silence and I'm not always at the library in solitude. Thanks all

methylphenidate :laugh:

seriously though, I also heard good things about Klipsch.

I love my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. They're great for blocking out random sounds and listening to music with, but you can still hear people talking. I also find them kind of bulky, but I saw a commercial the other day for some Bose in-ear noise canceling headphones, which look pretty small.

I love my Bose Quiet Comfort headphones. They're great for blocking out random sounds and listening to music with, but you can still hear people talking. I also find them kind of bulky, but I saw a commercial the other day for some Bose in-ear noise canceling headphones, which look pretty small.

+1. No noise cancelling headphones are ever going to block out people talking. Usually, if I have my music at a moderate level on my Bose QC15, I cannot distinguish the conversations of others around me.

The QC15 is pricey, and some people criticize the brand by saying "No highs, no lows, must be Bose", but Bose definitely has the edge in best noise-cancelling, as they also make headsets for aviation.

I tried the qC15 but for some reason, it made my ears pop like they do in airplanes. Any way around this for noise canceling headphones?

Bose. They have the best noise cancelling technology hands down.

I tried the qC15 but for some reason, it made my ears pop like they do in airplanes. Any way around this for noise canceling headphones?

You could use regular headphones and hook them up to your laptop, open up a recording program and put your laptop mic out of phase and turn the volume up. The ambient noise around you will get picked up, and cancelled out : )

I call this the poor mans noise canceling!