Best Anatomy book ? Netter´s vs. Thieme vs. Sobota ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which anatomy book is simply the best for anatomy?

• Netter: Atlas der Anatomie.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Sobotta: Atlas of Human Anatomy

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy. Thieme

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

A88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, i need one of the before mentioned books for my anatomy class.
What are you´re experiences and which would you recommend and why ?

Hope you can help out :)

Members don't see this ad.

3D anatomy atlas >>>>> any book. I would use that as a primary and Netters to supplement the obvious weak points.

I have a fringe opinion on this though, I'm sure everyone else is going to argue about Netter vs Thieme.

Reactions: 1 users
I use Thieme because it's what my school uses. One of the authors is the course director, so we get exam questions that will test us on a lot of the little text boxes and clinical vignettes in that textbook. I don't know how it stacks up against other anatomy books, though, as I have a biased experience. I do really like Netter's coloring book, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Netter's is very pretty and helpful for figuring out what's going on, but I find Rohen's to be the most useful. No drawing can beat an actual picture.

Last edited:
Rohen's for practicals. And whatever your prof recommends for written. Ours used thieme so that's obviously what I used.

BRS + Greys and any atlas.

I spent so much time with Netter that I have a biased emotional connection to it.

I recently flipped through the most recent Thieme and it was pretty nice and the added HY text is a bonus. However, the history of the Netter atlas and the fact that he puffed on a cigar and illustrated the whole thing is just amazing. His illustrations are medical history. I use Netter's Ortho a ton now too and it's nice seeing the same style again. Netter all the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Netter's and Rohen's for the win.

I like Thieme but I feel like when I'm learning arteries, netters always has ALL the branches and Thieme doesn't show them all. But I need to know all of them. But now anatomy is almost over so I don't feel like switching lol

thieme is the best book to learn from
rohen is a good resource for practicals although you can test yourself with online sources like umich website which is a fine thing to have

i honestly think that the best resources are those 3d apps where you can actually see things in the body but i've never actually used them

best thing to do is to go into lab with someone who really knows what they're doing and get tested on things so that you know

Members don't see this ad :)
Netter's is my favorite illustrated Atlas. It's great for conceptual learning of how everything interacts.

Rohen's is the best for practicals. I don't know how it's even possible to dissect as beautifully as they do.

Speaking of which, back to spending my whole weekend with those books...I need anatomy to be over :/

whatever your class uses.
But regardless of anything, thieme is very good. I ought to buy that if i ever need to review anatomy again in residency.

Everyone in my school used Netter's Atlas, I liked it overall.

I will say, the 3D Atlas's are an amazing tool though.
I might also suggest getting an Atlas with real pictures from cadavers, it gives bit of a better idea of what to look for in the lab. SUNY Downstate anatomy website has some good virtual pics form there lab.

Essential Anatomy App on mac or ipad

What's a good 3D app to use? I tried Netter's 3D, and it was good, but it also kept freezing and crashing my computer.

Rohen--the dissections are professional and typically unambiguous. Great last minute study tool for practicals. I also like Grant's for the tables. Netter is too busy for me to study with.

Does anyone know if it matters what edition you buy for these atlases? I imagine the human anatomy hasn't changed much but I don't know what the newer edition have compared to older ones.

I love the illustrations in Thieme but Netters has more detailed labeling. I use both because of this. Also Rohen's can't be beat for what it's actually supposed to look like. You could pick up a new Thieme and a 3rd edition (or any older one probably) Netters for pretty cheap.