Best Anatomy Book With "TEXT"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be taking systemic gross anatomy this semester. I have already had head and neck. I like netter's atlas but one thing that it lacks is words and explanations of things (like muscle origin, insertion, action, etc). I was wondering what you guys suggest for a book that covers this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Moore's Clinical Anatomy is probably a pretty good book for such information.

I like Grant's. It has paintings like Netter, but it also has tables of the muscle insertions/originations. It was recommended to me by an orthopod, and I found it useful for all other areas of anatomy (aside from musculoskeletal).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashers said:
I like Grant's. It has paintings like Netter, but it also has tables of the muscle insertions/originations. It was recommended to me by an orthopod, and I found it useful for all other areas of anatomy (aside from musculoskeletal).

Big Moore is too big, but has lots of text. If you have an atlas, the small Moore is really good.

Grant's is also good, and it, Moore and Netter's were by far the most widely used in my meds class. A few students had the brand new student version of Gray's and loved it. I looked through it and it seemed like the perfect combination of text and atlas.

In my class, BRS Anatomy was the most popular, but probably because Chung is our Gross teacher :) Seriously though, it's a great textbook. Horrible board review (WAAAAY too much info), but it's great for a texty-but-not-too-texty anatomy book. Lots of charts, etc.

Why does everyone love Netter and Grants as an atlas? I never hear Rohen being mentioned, but to me it is by far a superior atlas. All the text books have drawings, why would you want an atlas with drawings as well?

DrTacoElf said:
Hi,

I will be taking systemic gross anatomy this semester. I have already had head and neck. I like netter's atlas but one thing that it lacks is words and explanations of things (like muscle origin, insertion, action, etc). I was wondering what you guys suggest for a book that covers this.

Thanks!

BRS Anatomy, by Chung

Don't waste time with a large textbook.

MarzMD said:
Why does everyone love Netter and Grants as an atlas? I never hear Rohen being mentioned, but to me it is by far a superior atlas. All the text books have drawings, why would you want an atlas with drawings as well?

I agree with you. Grant's is terrible.

By using primarily Rohen, I did not need to spend much time studying in the lab. I used Netter's only for areas that were difficult to fully see in Rohen....

OSUdoc08 said:
I agree with you. Grant's is terrible.

By using primarily Rohen, I did not need to spend much time studying in the lab. I used Netter's only for areas that were difficult to fully see in Rohen....

I never understand why people praise Grant's so much, either. Compared to Netter, Grant is difficult to understand. The drawings also look ugly and very elementary.

grays anatomy for students is perfect combo of text/pics

super302 said:
grays anatomy for students is perfect combo of text/pics

grays anatomy for students is perfect combo of doorstop/paperweight

netter/rohen and nothing else.....

DrTacoElf said:
Hi,

Thanks!

BRS by Chung is the standard at my school, however, I found that rhone/netter atlas with MedCharts Anatomy By Thomas Gest was my preferred set up, the downside is it is out of print and was difficult to find, the up side, it's all on the internet free of charge link

OSUdoc08 said:
grays anatomy for students is perfect combo of doorstop/paperweight
lol...agree

What about Snell?