Best Anatomy Text?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drm36

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering med school next Fall.

I was wondering what you all thought the best anatomy textbook is for first-year.

I'm curious to know.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

netter all the way!
i saw an attending flipping through one as a refresher through a case the other day.

Clinical anatomy made ridiculously simple. Not comprehensive, but highlights the important anatomy/relationships and gives you mneumonics. Ditto for Netter -- a must for anatomy lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, the best anatomy text is NO anatomy text! Have you seen those things? They're like 1200 pages long!! :eek: I don't know of a single person in my class that reads them. Usually class notes will be provided that are thorough enough, and then you get a good Atlas, like Netter's. A good review book like the BRS might help as well.

That being said, Moore's text is usually the one that prof's recommend, if you're into reading a couple hundred pages on the lower extremity....

Atlas: Netters (you get 10 points on the Med School Geek scale if you have ever said, "Netter is God."

Photographic Atlas: Rohen & Yokochi (sp?)

USMLE Review: Clinical Anatomy Made Ricidulously Simple (good for class as well)

More extensive review: BRS Gross Anatomy, Chung

Textbook: By far, the best I've seen is Moore's Clinical Anatomy. Has lots of scenarios to make the anatomy "come alive" but that said, it is lengthy and more detailed than you really need to know.
Basically, an atlas, your lecture notes and a review book will do fine.

Hope this helps.

Kimberli has it all the way. I have all of the books she listed above and used everyone of them this year to study for anatomy!! Thank God I dont have to have that many books for any other subject!!

I also loved (hard to find, but worth it) Melloni's Student Atlas of Anatomy. It's broken down into sections: nerve, bone, artery, vein, & muscle, and then each section has each nerve, bone, artery, vein & muscle listed alphabetically, with a chart on one page detailing origins, insertions, irrigations, innervations, actions (as appropriate) AND excellent drawings on the other page. It's great for those moments in Netter where you think, ok, where's the rest of the median nerve going? Absolutely wonderful. And in terms of texts, I actually think the Anatomy Coloring Book is great--one page of essential information. I never have time to color, but I use it a lot!

Atlas: Netter. The colours! Rohen and Yokochi has colour photos which look exactly like the things you will see on the cadavers except dissected nice. The only drawback is that it's harder to learn from than using Netter. I really had to learn the arteries and veins with the blues and reds. It made things easier.

Text: None! You don't need one. Just go to class. If you don't then it depends on the focus of the courses and how they test you. Moore is really good but wordy. I got Thompson's Core Text in Anatomy. It's brief, but no colour. I find the text is only a reference. Everything else is learned in the classroom or in the anatomy labs during the dissections.

Histology: Wheaters Functional

Neuroanatomy: Any good coloured text and atlas is adequate.

It's still too early to buy textbooks. Wait until the first week of classes. Or buy them used. At this point, I think I stopped buying textbooks (for first year anyways) because I don't have a lot of time and money to read them. I just go to the library to read the relevant parts. It's much cheaper. Like for embryology, I didn't even buy one. Just use the library copy.

The best way to learn anatomy is to go over the structures on the cadavers with your classmates. As for a reference, I suggest using Clemente's anatomy textbook.

Since u guys are discussing anatomy class, how are you guys typically tested over anatomy? As in, what are the format of the exams?

I am studying for Step 1 right now. Two books I wish I had all along are the high yield gross anatomy by Ron Dudek, and high yield neuroanatomy by Fix. Both by Lippincott. They might be too simplistic for the actual courses, but they highlight the RELAVENT material very well. You can add in additional notes as needed. Excellent cranial nerve sections, MRI, cross sectional anatomy etc... If not now, get them for board study.

Netter is the answer to all your questions.
others are so :eek: Get Netter and you won't have any troubles understanding anatomy

As far as testing goes, a lot of schools use two-part tests. The first part is a written exam, probably multiple choice, over material covered in the lecture. An example question might be: If a pt severed the musculocutaneous nerve, would elbow flexion still be possible? And then 4 or 5 answers to choose from. Obviously, all the questions aren't nerve/muscle axn questions, but a few are. The second part of the test is the lab practical. All of the cadavers will be out and there will be 3 to 4 structures tagged with a number. You get a certain amount of time at each tag, and write down the structure on your paper. Because it is almost purely recall, this is a tough part for some people, and incredibly easy for others. Gross anatomy is a lot of work, plain and simple. A few people in my class could get away with studying 2-3 hours outside of lab to get an "A", but that is rare. Have a great day :)

Eric

We were tested similar to EricCsu except that our questions were all essay (ie, a clinical scenario which might end with the question, "what would happen if you lac the lower branch of the brachial plexus?"). We had the OSCE in a similar fashion - dissected section tagged for your identification. Some items were removed from the cadavers for the fun of identifying them without relevant environmental cues.

The rohen and yokochi book was extremely helpful in preparing for cadaver lab exams in undergrad. (though netter's is much more colorful pretty)
I would think these atlases are a necessity but I can't imagine an anatomy TEXT being very important, as some poster previously said.

Go ahead and get Netter - it is essential and an atlas that you will keep for your whole life (if you manage to keep it out of the lab). I can't imagine having passed without it.

As for a text, I found the mini Moore - "Essential Clinical Anatomy", by Moore and Agur, to be a big help. It has 90% of the important stuff from the big Moore text in a very portable version. If I really needed to look at the big Moore (to read a couple hundred pages on the blood supply to the thumb), it was in the library on reserve. It was also about 1/2 the price.

Just my 2 cents worth - I'll bill you later.