Best AOA IM Residencies (with Fellowship Opportunities)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkskyline17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Current 3rd year D.O. student who will be applying for the AOA Match next year. I was wondering if there were any 4th year students or residents that can share their experience as far as what they thought were the best AOA IM programs with fellowship opportunities. I'm particularly interested in Cardiology but open to most fellowships (GI, Pulm/CC, etc.).

Any advice / information on the different programs would be very helpful. Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to do everything you can to participate in the ACGME match for internal medicine. Try to make life decisions that leave the most doors open for you.
- Source: DO in ACGME IM program

Reactions: 3 users
My advice is to do everything you can to participate in the ACGME match for internal medicine. Try to make life decisions that leave the most doors open for you.
- Source: DO in ACGME IM program

Well by this summer, every AOA program that will go through the 2018 match will have to have at least applied or started the switch over to ACGME. Or the programs will be shut down. So I guess what I meant is from the current programs on the DO match instead of the MD match. All the programs I have looked into, so far, are already dual accredited ACGME/AOA.

glad you're open to all those high paying subspecialties...

I've only had 1 elective rotation for IM (Cardiology) in my 3rd year so I guess I am biased... that doesn't mean I will rule out other fellowship opportunities. Those are just the "typical" ones that most people say when they talk about fellowships.

I've only had 1 elective rotation for IM (Cardiology) in my 3rd year so I guess I am biased... that doesn't mean I will rule out other fellowship opportunities. Those are just the "typical" ones that most people say when they talk about fellowships.
i don't expect a 3rd yr to know what they want to do in their 3rd year..but no...GI and Cards are different and attract different people...could see a bit of an overlap with card and CC, but not really so much for GI...the only thing that the have in common is that they are high paying...THOSE people who talk about wanting to do any of these...are typically looking at the $$...

I agree with @Stedari and @rokshana
It is also too early for you to think of residencies. You should experience these rotations first then you may have an idea of what you wanna go into.
The best but obvious answer to your question is to apply to AOA programs with in house fellowships. Or acgme university programs if you can. You can search my previous posts on my idea of tier rankings of AOA programs. I still chose to go to an acgme uni program and have absolutely no regrets.

Bump? I am applying AOA IM programs as well and was wondering what people have heard in terms of programs? I didn't do that great on my Step 1, so ACGME is out of contention. (Not necessarily interested in fellowships)

Bump? I am applying AOA IM programs as well and was wondering what people have heard in terms of programs? I didn't do that great on my Step 1, so ACGME is out of contention. (Not necessarily interested in fellowships)
ACGME is never out of contention. My roommate who barely passed step 1, failed step 2 CK and CS and had to retake both, and still matched (without soaping) into an IM program. (Granted it was a small, new community program, and our medical school's reputation may have helped). You would be shooting yourself in the foot not even trying for ACGME.

Reactions: 1 users
ACGME is never out of contention. My roommate who barely passed step 1, failed step 2 CK and CS and had to retake both, and still matched (without soaping) into an IM program. (Granted it was a small, new community program, and our medical school's reputation may have helped). You would be shooting yourself in the foot not even trying for ACGME.

Which program was this? Looking for low-tier IM programs to apply to this year.

Aoa im with strong training in process of acgme accreditation? One place is valley hospital in Las Vegas. My experience includes my tri location in california, im in Ohio and fellowship in Las Vegas in top of my 3rd and 4th year locations. I can tell you that this place at least from internal medicine is fairly comparable to smaller non tertiary care center acgme programs. They have been granted initial accreditation. They have fellowships in pulmonary critical care, gi, hospice/palliative care. Across the parking lot from umc which is level 1 trauma (Ortho residency does stuff here). They additionally have residencies in fp, neuro and Ortho. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile