Best areas to volunteer at Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwillsie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a premed with no health care training ro experience what would be the best areas to volunteer in that would accept such an applicant?

health enhancment services, home health care services, nursing services, outpatient survery, rehab, patient transport services, etc?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pwillsie said:
For a premed with no health care training ro experience what would be the best areas to volunteer in that would accept such an applicant?

health enhancment services, home health care services, nursing services, outpatient survery, rehab, patient transport services, etc?

Thanks

If you have time time, work as a phlebotomist. I spent a couple of summers 'phleboto-mizing' in my hometown's small-ish hospital - was great experience. Because of the relatively small size (~130 beds), I was able to do hands-on procedures all over...from the birthing center, peds, ICU..even got to respond to codes in the trauma room. I was also able to get to know some of the docs and shaddow them some in my downtime.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want patient-contact, check out psychiatry.

No filing, no cleaning, no busy work. Just talking with patients, playing games with patients, watching TV with patients, doing activities with patients, and sitting in on groups with patients.

yeah psych might be cool, you could see some real nutcases just be careful. like one flew over the ****oos nest or girl interrupted

pwillsie said:

Thanks

Wherever they let you do the most. Talk to other volunteers (pre-meds would be the best) and ask them what they get to do at those places.

Friends of mine volunteered at a hospice and had intense and wonderful experience. I got lucky and hung out at a level-1 trauma center :D :D

Hey, how could you get a job working with the psychiatry patients? I thought the general hospital only had regular patients like Er,etc? Do you need to call some dr who has some small office and a private practice?

CoverMe said:
Wherever they let you do the most. Talk to other volunteers (pre-meds would be the best) and ask them what they get to do at those places.

Friends of mine volunteered at a hospice and had intense and wonderful experience. I got lucky and hung out at a level-1 trauma center :D :D

:thumbup:

iamlonely said:
Hey, how could you get a job working with the psychiatry patients? I thought the general hospital only had regular patients like Er,etc? Do you need to call some dr who has some small office and a private practice?

I volunteered in a psychiatric inpatient unit at the psychiatric hospital that's a part of the UPMC. I imagine that most medical school-affiliated hospitals will have one of these.

iamlonely said:

Some general hospitals have psychiatric inpatients although more and more is being done on an outpatient basis. VA hospitals also have inpatient psych departments.

If you work at an understaffed hospital, anywhere you end up will be a good experience. Generally, ER is good. Peds is also fun, you get to play with the kids, but it's also sad if you know what kind of diseases they have when they're so young.

There's a psych hospital near here (CT) that people volunteer at, so I'd imagine there are others in the country. I volunteer in the hospice, and as someone has already mentioned, it's really intense but there's a lot of opportunity to work directly with patients and give a lot of hands-on care.

UNOStudent01 said:
If you have time time, work as a phlebotomist. I spent a couple of summers 'phleboto-mizing' in my hometown's small-ish hospital - was great experience. Because of the relatively small size (~130 beds), I was able to do hands-on procedures all over...from the birthing center, peds, ICU..even got to respond to codes in the trauma room. I was also able to get to know some of the docs and shaddow them some in my downtime.

you have to be certified by the state in some places now, especially in the larger cities. If you (talking to the other person now who posted the question) do want to get N2 phlebotomy, depending on where you are (small vs. large city) you may have to take a class and get certified by the state (by passing this big exam).

Or you can just volunteer in the ER.

the saint vincent's hospital on 11th street bet. 6th and 7th has a great Pre-Health Rotation Program. Best thing about it is that you get to volunteer in Child Psychiatry (these kids are great and not as "privileged" as those in the regular Children's dept. ) and the Operating Room (you're literally 1 foot away from the operating table), amongst regular departments like the ER and geriatrics. each rotation is 6 to 12 weeks, so you shouldn't get bored, and if you do, you can look forward to the next rotation.

The program is strict with attendance and hours but it'll give you great experience in a hospital setting.