Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

best bet

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Kevin3Ford, Nov 27, 1999.

1. Kevin3Ford

Kevin3Ford Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am majoring in biology and will graduate in May 2000, I have not taken organic chemistry yet or the MCAT. If it's best to get my applications in early, what is my best route? Should I cram organic in over the summer and take August MCAT? or take MCAT in April without organic and see how I do? Any suggestions might be helpful. Thanks!

2. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

Tough situation. Personally, I thought that the organic chemistry questions on the MCAT were the most difficult. So you got to know your organic well.
    If you are good at learning things on your own, then you should study organic from all the MCAT prep guides you can and write the April MCAT. After awhile you can pick out the stuff that's important and is repeated on most the previous MCATs. But that is risky, if you screw up then it will really hurt your chances of getting in.
    Why the poor planning? Did you just decide to go into medicine? Why not take an extra year and learn more about osteopathic medicine and take the MCAT and organic when you are ready.

3. 705

Do NOT take the mcat without organic, PERIOD. A good amount of organic is in the bio section, and you will need both semesters. If you think you can cram it in the summer then take the mcat in August and go for it. But good luck with that big chunk of information for one summer. And remember, if you plan to apply in June 2000 and use that August mcat then you will be at a disadvantage. But what the hell, what part of life isn't a crapshoot.

4. Kevin3Ford

Kevin3Ford Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

NAV, the late decision is due to prior focus on physical therapy school. I only recently (3 months) found out about Osteopathic medicine. By the way, I have five years as a professional personal trainer working with many deconditioned populations. Will this be very helpful for prior experience?

5. Dave

Dave Member
    10+ Year Member

I took the mcat w/ only one semester of o-chem and struggled. I wish I had waited and taken the august mcat. As it is I'll be taking it again.

6. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

The first time I took the MCAT was in April, during the same semester I was taking Organic 1. I did fine on the Bio section (10), but struggled with PS.

It did require that I studied the Organic material in the Kaplan book very hard, though. But, it did give me a head start on Organic 2 and made it much easier.

Boomer, NSU-COM '04

------------------
    Respect my authoritah
    --Eric Cartman

7. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

I have a friend who wrote the MCAT without organic and he did very good on it. If you study hard, you could do well.
    How are your grades? If they are decent and you feel that you have a good chance of getting in, then I think you should go for the April MCAT and apply really early. If you write the August one, it ruins your advantage of applying early because most schools wait until they have your MCAT results before they review your application.
    Have you shadowed a DO yet?

8. Kevin3Ford

Kevin3Ford Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Nav,

I have shadowed a DO and my major is biology with an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science of 3.5. My recommendations are very good, and I love a challenge...so I think I'll take your advice and take the April MCAT.

9. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Kevin3Ford,

Yes, your personal training experience will come in handy. I've been one for 10 years and by also being a triathlete, I am in a unique position to appreciate the musculoskeletal emphasis of osteopathic philosophy.

Study your butt off for the MCAT (get the Columbia Verbal Reasoning Powerbuilder book -I boosted my verbal section 3 points using thier strategy compared to Kaplan's), read books on osteopathy, visit schools, call admission coordiantors, join your state osteopathic association, shadow more DOs and ask for "strong" letters.

Phillip Snider, MS, RD
    UNECOM '04

10. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

Kevin3Ford,
    Good luck, hope you do well. How are you planning on studying? Some advice on studying for the organic part specifically:
    - Use alot of different review books. Some cover alot of topics and some don't cover enough. I found that Kaplan was pretty good.
    - Most the important stuff is at the beginning. Don't worry too much about specific reaction mechanisms. Just the more important ones: SN1,SN2,E1,E2 always come up.
    - They like to test on trends. Like acidity, reactivity, etc. you can pick out which ones are important if they are repeated in most the prep guides.
    - Most important thing, though, after you go over the organic chemistry section once. Do as many practice exams as you can. That is the best way to study for this test.

It will be some hard work, but you have alot of time. Hope the studying goes well. Write if you need any help.

11. bri1856

bri1856 Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't take any chances...take Organic before you take the MCAT. Just because it has worked for some people doesn't mean that it will work for you.