Best Bio and Biochem books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't like Campbell's Biology. I used it for high school and college and didn't get good grades. I've never bought a biochem book before, but would prefer a very thorough book with lots of illustrations to a review book or crash course book.

Members don't see this ad.

I liked Campbell's...

We used Lehringer's Principles of Biochemistry.

Lehringer's is a good standard undergrad biochem book. I have used it and Voet & Voet as the primary texts for different biochem courses I took. Voet & Voet has much more detail but I did not like it overall.

"Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry" is aimed at medical students I think but I think it is an awesome overview of biochemistry that really helps you understand important concepts rather than getting lost in detail.

Since you said biology and not just biochemistry... I've gotta mention Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al. It is one of the best written textbooks out there and I'd highly highly recommend it for any molecular or cell biology topics.

General biology? Campbell.