Best Bio Classes to Round Out My Med School Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodDoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several choices to round out my Bio degree. They all sound good to me, so I figure I'll go with the three that will help most with Med School classes (assuming I get in :) ).

I need a lab course:
- Biochem DNA lab: Nucleic Acids & DNA focus. Gives me a minor in Chem.
- Neurobio Lab: electrophysiology. Fits my true intersets more.

I need a "From & Function" course:
- Behav. Neurobio: Fits my current interests best.
- Developmental Bio: Seems best for Med School prep.
- Compar. Vert. Morphology: Seems like good prep too.

I need another elective:
- Vertebrate Embryology: Favorite prof. ever. Sounds fun. Seems good prep.
- Cellular Neurobio: Sounds fun.
- Biochem II: Can use in place of Biochem lab for Chem minor.
- Any of the other five listed above.

So, any ideas which would be best for Med School class prep? I need one class from each of the 3 sets above. I would honestly take all of them if I could.

Members don't see this ad.

I say go with neurobio lab and behavioral neurobio as both "fit your interests best." Go with vertebrate embryology as this will be your last chance to take your "favorite professor ever."

A chem minor won't really add much to a biology degree in terms of making you stand out, and med schools don't make you play with DNA for a grade. Developental bio would probably be the best prep out of the selections followed by biochem II, but it sounds like you already have an incredibly strong background in biology as it is. You seem like an intelligent guy more than set for med school so I say go with what interests you while you still get to choose your classes. :thumbup:

One of my favorite biology electives so far has been "Evolution". It was really interesting learning about the history of the theories involved with evolution and also getting to know what evolution really means.

This is not in any of your lists but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Durden, that sounds like good advise. Pick my classes while I still can.

Are minors really meaningless (maybe just neglible)? For some reason, I like the sound of it. Maybe it's the same psycological need satisfied by my already knowing that this will be my 100th post. :D

DoctorPardi, I've actually got an "Ecol & Evol" class required still, so I hope it's as fun as you say.

GoodDoctor said:

Are minors really meaningless (maybe just neglible)? For some reason, I like the sound of it. Maybe it's the same psycological need satisfied by my already knowing that this will be my 100th post. :D

DoctorPardi, I've actually got an "Ecol & Evol" class required still, so I hope it's as fun as you say.

I think you should enjoy it, evolution is very basic to the understanding of any type of ecological relationship. It may not be super helpful for medical school, but I liked it and think it should be a requirement for anyone pursuing a degree in biology.

Neurobio lab: In my experience pretty cool especially EP stuff.

Behav neurobio: Neuro is awesome.

Cellular neurobio: See above.

These are also the courses you seemed interested in and that's usually a good ticket to good performance. Though if you really like the embryology prof it might workout.

I don't really think morphology and embryology courses are worth it since you have to learn it all in MS1 anyway. Chem minor might be worth it...

GoodDoctor said:

Though I'm sure many will argue with me, and I'm not sure I'm even right when it comes to this, I think that if you have a bio major and a chem minor, it won't stand out that much, but if you have a bio major and, say, a french minor, it might be a bit more meaningful... shows you've taken enough classes to earn that additional distinction, and that makes you a more rounded person. It certainly wouldn't hurt for the chem minor, though, even if it's just a little ego boost for you :p

I think you should go with the classes that fit your interests best.

I'd throw in a biochem. Doesn't hurt to have a solid base in an area you are going to have to study in depth in med school anyway.

DoctorPardi said:
One of my favorite biology electives so far has been "Evolution". It was really interesting learning about the history of the theories involved with evolution and also getting to know what evolution really means.

This is not in any of your lists but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.
I just scratched evolution on the surface, and its a freggin' awesome subject.

GoodDoctor said:
I have several choices to round out my Bio degree. They all sound good to me, so I figure I'll go with the three that will help most with Med School classes (assuming I get in :) ).

I need a lab course:
- Biochem DNA lab: Nucleic Acids & DNA focus. Gives me a minor in Chem.
- Neurobio Lab: electrophysiology. Fits my true intersets more.

I need a "From & Function" course:
- Behav. Neurobio: Fits my current interests best.
- Developmental Bio: Seems best for Med School prep.
- Compar. Vert. Morphology: Seems like good prep too.

I need another elective:
- Vertebrate Embryology: Favorite prof. ever. Sounds fun. Seems good prep.
- Cellular Neurobio: Sounds fun.
- Biochem II: Can use in place of Biochem lab for Chem minor.
- Any of the other five listed above.

So, any ideas which would be best for Med School class prep? I need one class from each of the 3 sets above. I would honestly take all of them if I could.

Lab course: Biochem DNA...assuming that this is the only class remaining to get your chem minor, then go for it. Durden is correct in saying that a chem minor doesn't add much to a bio major, but it's certainly something worth having and it might open a few doors. Basically, you nerver know, and at least if you take this course you will have something to show for your chem work.

Form: Behavior Neurobio....it's probably one of the most fascinating subjects of all. Just the "pain" complex is worthy of its own course. If you like it (which many people do), then go for it.

Vert. Embry: A good professor can make basket-weaving interesting. If he's (assuming he's a guy) your favorite prof, then take it just as a homage to his great work. If you don't do it, you'll probably regret it.

Basically, whatever you choose, go for balance. As much as you're temped to just take whatever courses you feel like (or on the other hand, taking courses exclusively to prep for med school), you've got to strike a balance and choose wisely.

Either way, you're a good guy (you have good posts :) ), I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
-Dr. P.

evolution is fun.....but not enough fun to fill an entire semester. After the 1st third of the class (nat selection, etc), yur gonna go into boring stuff like speciation definitions and extinctions/explosions.

Neurobio is a great class, but its a toughy. Probably the toughest bio class after genetics. Doesn't get boring, though. I'm not sure what your behav. neurobio is; in my school, i had to take a semester of behavior and a semester of neurobio (i'm a neuro&behavior concentration). Behavior is very similiar to evolution.

Biochem 2 i found really boring. Just straight memorization sprinkled with understanding how to read gels/fingerprints/etc.

Minors are good. Developmental Biology will really help you if you have a professor that kicks your ass and you have to work hard to earn even a B. (That's how it worked for me). Didn't exactly bring up my GPA, but o well.

Some of the classes you listed won't prepare you for medical school. I imagine that the embryology and developmental classes will have little or nothing to do with humans. Pick something that is applicable to all species. Neurobiology and biochemistry are always good choices. Unfortunately, bio classes are meant for biologists, not doctors.

deuist said:
Some of the classes you listed won't prepare you for medical school. I imagine that the embryology and developmental classes will have little or nothing to do with humans. Pick something that is applicable to all species. Neurobiology and biochemistry are always good choices. Unfortunately, bio classes are meant for biologists, not doctors.

Developmental Biology has nothing to do with humans? Did you take the class? Of course there are model organisms, but we have very little difference from mice that are used for some of the studies. Of course there isn't much difference between all organisms and the overlying concepts that are important to learn such as induction and other processes. Your text will talk about the differences between humans and the model organisms.