Best Board Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best study guide for the IM boards? MKSAP? Medstudy?

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard medstudy is easier to use b/c the books are really short and you can bang a whole book out in one night.

MKSAP is the gold standard, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my Boards in August and have to agree with the rumor that Boards are easier than the in-service exam. I think the scariest thing about the test is the possibility of having to pay that $1000 again if you fail. Otherwise, it's the quickest test you've taken since before the MCAT.

I used MKSAP + First Aid for the Boards ($80) and was very happy w/ my score. The only subspecialty book from MKSAP that I read was cards...for everything else I read the blurb in First Aid and did the MKSAP questions. Takes about a day or 2 to do all the questions for each subspecialty (depends on if you're working full time when you take it and whether or not you have the stamina that you used too in med school). I started studying in July and took it in August and felt well-prepared. My advice, save your money and go with MKSAP and First Aid. Good luck.

just do the mksap questions (I preferrred using the cd so that you can see the answer with explanations with each question right away without flipping around). If you finish all of the questions, you should be good. I didn't read anything for it.

MKSAP questions can be a lot harder than the actual exam. If you do all the questions you can get your hands on you'll be fine without reading.