Quantcast

Best book for Family rotation/shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked the sticky threads, but no one had come up with a good reference/study guide for Family Medicine. To ace the family 3rd year clerkship, what review books are a must? Anyone crack the code to getting a great shelf score? Thanks for your advise.

riverie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten my shelf score back, but I used Blueprints FM alone and found the shelf to be very manageable. Of course, it helped that I've already done Medicine, Surgery and Peds, all of which have a significant presence on the exam. Ob-gyn would have been good to have before as well, but I'm not complaining. :)

Update: Just got score -- 87

rhino305

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
used step up to medicine and mksap questions for family medicine and got >90th %ile.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked Case Files. Also used Swanson's family medicine, Step Up medicine

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
used step up to medicine and mksap questions for family medicine and got >90th %ile.

Did you take Internal Medicine first or Family first?

PAPPAPPAP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any new thoughts on the general content of the FM shelf and what books are best to use for studying? Is it really a mostly IM exam? How much peds and OBGYN? Thanks.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the exam today. It did indeed cover everything. I got questions about STD's, reasons children cough, and lots about diagnostic testing. Just remember that everything is outpatient based. You won't get anything about delivering a baby or seeing serious illness, but you will see a broad set of topics.