Best book for MCAT biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

up40loves

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is ExamKrackers Biology sufficient? I also own the Kaplan biology book and Berkeley Review but the Berkeley Review book is huge. So I was wondering, would studying EK Bio thoroughly and doing lots of practice be sufficient? Or is EK weak in some chapters/areas and using other resources would be helpful?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I found EK Biology with practice, and perhaps supplemented with Genetics content from Kaplan or another source, to be sufficient!

Having taken the exam, agreed with Futuredoctor. Also pay attention to physiology and biochemistry topics if you can. There was an awful alot of molecular biology in the bio-section of my test.

I scored a 10 on BS without having taken bio. I used EK bio, plus a little extra genetics practice from "Primer of Genetic Analysis".

Also used EK 1001 Bio, which was the best of the 1001 series IMO.

Kaplan books are great for content review... they had all the material I needed to know the first time I took the exam, what I particularly like about their book is that they have notes on the sides when a particular topic is relevant clinically, or of it's relation to another topic (like physical sciences) and especially, they emphasize MCAT favorites, and are great about tying different topics together (concentration gradients and nephrology is a great example)...

but the most important part for Bio is to take practice tests, because about 65% of getting the questions right is being able to take out the correct info from the passages, and to read the graphs... AAMC CBTs are A LOT more indicative of the Actual MCAT Bio section than Kaplan, that's all I can say