Best book for medical Spanish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe_eves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently volunteering and shadowing at a free clinic for the uninsured. A large portion of our demographic includes patients who speak Spanish but cannot speak English very well. Due to budget restrictions, there is usually not a translator available unless a family member can come with the patient. I am fairly comfortable with regular conversational Spanish, but was looking to familiarize myself with medical terminology. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best books that cover this sort of material? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This book is pretty good. That or there are several free notecard decks you can download.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to learn Spanish but I'm so far removed I really just need to start from the ground up. Any recommendations for someone essentially starting from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Ho0v-man

Duolingo (https://www.duolingo.com) is good for if you have absolutely zero knowledge of the language: fast, easy to use, and good for picking up vocab. Not as thorough for grammar details or conversation practice but is a great start imo. Not everyone likes it but I did, so check it out and see if it works for you.

Try italki. It connects you with teachers in Spanish speaking countries, and you can get one-on-one lessons through skype for like $8 an hour. Some of the teachers I've had have said it's pretty common for US physicians to use the site to learn medical Spanish, so a lot of teachers even have experience with this. If you don't want a "certified professional teacher" you'll even be able to find people to help you for free, although they may want you to help them with English in return.

I´ve been using Spanish and the Medical Interview: A Textbook for Clinically Relevant Medical Spanish, and it´s been a great resource. I´ve worked at a Latino/Hispanic community health clinic for two years as an MA, and on a med-surg unit for two years as an RN, and have a good understanding of what kind of medical jargon is relevant vs irrelevant. I can say that this book has been extremely useful. If you go through is and Anki everything you come across that you are unfamiliar with, you will likely become proficient at communicating most things relevant to your practice if you are not in a specialty clinic/unit. The only catch is that this book is in fact not for beginners of Spanish, which should be fine for you. It´s very dense so I imagine this should be able to stand on it´s own as someone´s sole textbook resource. Good luck.