Best books for First 2 Years of DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen this in Allo (and recognize that there could be some overlap), but I thought I would attempt to compile a definitive book list for the DO students. I'm really not too keen on spending hundreds of dollars on textbooks I'm not going to use. What texts and review books (for studying purposes the first 2 years - not board review) would you recommend?

And, please, no one tell me to do a search. I did. I just haven't found a DO version yet.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Kick me if need be, but I hear that First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is an outstanding resource. While I realize that DO's aren't trained specifically for Step 1, I've been told that it summarizes and highlights the critical concepts in biochemistry, genetics, physiology, etc.

That's my two cents.

Evo, the possible/maybe DO student, c/o 2005.

The book lists are not different for MDs vs. DOs. Biochemistry is biochemistry; we use the same books as they do. The only thing to add might be a book on OMM, but whether or not you need one depends on your school. Most people I know bought OMT Review by Savarese for the boards, it was a pretty concise summary of board-relevant osteopathic principles.

My only advice is to buy more review books than textbooks. In reality you are not going to have time to read those big thick texts, especially if you receive comprehensive notes like here at CCOM. In retrospect the only textbooks I'd buy would be Robbins and a good Physical Diagnosis book (Mosby, Bates, etc). And of course an Anatomy, Histology, and Neuro atlas. But otherwise focus on the review books such as High Yield and BRS. They are much easier to get through and cost much less. And you should definitely be using First Aid as well...I wish I used it more prior to boards studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people will disagree with me on this but I think that Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease is essential. It is an awesome path book. If you read the relevant chapter when you are going through path class you WILL know your pathology. It also covers a lot of micro and immuno. It is a biggie but a goodie.

Robbins Path
Guyton and Hall Medical Physiology, good explain for the stuff the class notes doesn't tell you (don't need newest edition, ninth is fine)
Netter
Clinical Micro made Ridiculously Simple
Histo Atlas (? i rarely used mine, all the slides we needed were available online)
One Medical Dictionary - gotta have that!
Greenmans OMT book, but i am at MSU so thats what we go off of, i know the folks at LECOM put out some sorta publication that a few people use, or at least get yourself a OMT review book

Ratch said:
Greenmans OMT book, but i am at MSU so thats what we go off of, i know the folks at LECOM put out some sorta publication that a few people use, or at least get yourself a OMT review book

OMT Review by Savarese is good.

Ratch said:
Robbins Path
Guyton and Hall Medical Physiology, good explain for the stuff the class notes doesn't tell you (don't need newest edition, ninth is fine)
Netter
Clinical Micro made Ridiculously Simple
Histo Atlas (? i rarely used mine, all the slides we needed were available online)
One Medical Dictionary - gotta have that!

I agree with all of these books and I would also add:

First Aid for USMLE step 1

Any Anatomy Book with photos of live specimens (cuts down on lab time and gives you different view from your own cadaver) -- Youkochi (sp?)

Neuroanatomy Made Rediculously Simple

Robbins Path has a great question workbook that goes along with the text book, including 1000 + USMLE style questions with explanations to the answers and the answer choices. Between the baby Robbins (pocket version of the big text book) and the q&a book, you'll be ready for boards and class.

Medical Spanish for Health Professionals - CD + book combo. Any type would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Pharm books?

dr_almondjoy_do said:
I agree with all of these books and I would also add:

First Aid for USMLE step 1

Any Anatomy Book with photos of live specimens (cuts down on lab time and gives you different view from your own cadaver) -- Youkochi (sp?)

Robbins Path has a great question workbook that goes along with the text book, including 1000 + USMLE style questions with explanations to the answers and the answer choices. Between the baby Robbins (pocket version of the big text book) and the q&a book, you'll be ready for boards and class.

Medical Spanish for Health Professionals - CD + book combo. Any type would work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Pharm books?

Lippincot Pharmacology 2nd, but I think there may be a new edition due out?

Elysium said:
I've seen this in Allo (and recognize that there could be some overlap), but I thought I would attempt to compile a definitive book list for the DO students. I'm really not too keen on spending hundreds of dollars on textbooks I'm not going to use. What texts and review books (for studying purposes the first 2 years - not board review) would you recommend?

And, please, no one tell me to do a search. I did. I just haven't found a DO version yet.

Cheers.

Doesn't the school (Tucom Vegas?) have a book list?

There are a couple of "gold standard" books in each area - Netter, Moore, Rohen, for anatomy, for example.

There probably (anyone who knows differently, feel free to flame me) a hell of a lot of difference between the names in each field - for example, is big Costanzo much different for physiology than Guyton? Little Costanzo is a BRS book, of course so not nearly as much background.

So, what does the school say? BTW, I've seen TUCOM-MI's online bookstore, the prices seem pretty high to me, and I can't believe that EVERYTHING is required.

And, why do you want two years worth of books? Going for gunner? :)

flighterdoc said:
Lippincot Pharmacology 2nd, but I think there may be a new edition due out?

For Pharm I used the Holy Bible myself, but I did refer to Lipincott Pharm when I needed to. I also used First Aid for USMLE step 1.

I also had Pharm Cards, but it didn't include alot of the new toxicology stuff like Extasy. Also, it didn't provide any MOA , Pharmaco - dynamics or - kinetics either, but good for jogging memory.

Yeah, of course TUCOM-NV has a book list, I'm just trying not to spend over a grand on textbooks I'm never gonna have time to read. Also, I'm not ordering from the TUCOM online bookstore, as it's all more expensive than other online bookstores (mostly ones that sell used books). I was looking for advice about what review books to get and what texts people consider MANDATORY for doing well in school.

Hell no, I'm no gunner. Just trying to save a few bucks on books.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

dr_almondjoy_do said:

Do you feel that this is better than High yield Neuro? I havent bought a neuro book yet and im not sure which one to get.

Pharm...Katzung is very good, but man it is loooong. Lippincotts is a good substitute and I used it as well.

Best resource by far for pharm was Pharm Recall. Get this, write your notes in it, and boom you're set.

For neuroanatomy I actually read the text (haines) and filled out the pathways in my atlas. Pretty nerdy eh? In restrospect HY neuroanat (excellent book) would have been an excellent intro to fly over before jumping into the larger text.

Members don't see this ad :)
neuro text that is super short and helped me alot was one my dad gave me, Manters Essentials of Clinical Neuroanat and NeuroPhys. Granted it was printed from 1970-1973 (it may still be around, this book is only 130 pages and its paperback sized) so i don't know if you can find it still, but it has good pics and explains the pathways quite well, helpful for intro neuroanat courses and good clinical overviews.

Personally i thought Rohen (the cadaver picture book) was not too helpful, but then people who didn't spend much time in the lab did.

Cowboy DO said:
Do you feel that this is better than High yield Neuro? I havent bought a neuro book yet and im not sure which one to get.

I have a friend that swears that Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, as well as the pharm and micro ones in this series helped her pass her course exams. She is now a MSIII

Micro made R. simple is an awesome book. Havent read the others though.

This year we are supposed to buy the new HARRISON'S Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th @ $135. Cha ching. You think this is necessary? Apparently there is a "baby" harrisons out there which i could get cheaper. I guess im going to buy the big one unless i get a resounding no from this board. I just hate the fact i have to spend 135 on one book (ouch)

I use harrison's online via our library's site. :thumbup:

I bought foundations of osteopathic medicine (and now I'm selling it)...used it now and then to supplement omt notes. But, you see, your library will have every required book on reserve. I would recommend buying books only if you want the convenience of having them available in your apartment. I had an unpredictable study schedule, so I wasn't going to rely on the library that much.

Just don't shortchange yourself and not buy books. I WISH I would have used lippincott's pharm instead of katzung. and costanzo's physiology book (not BRS) is good too.

Cowboy DO said:

This year we are supposed to buy the new HARRISON'S Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th @ $135. Cha ching. You think this is necessary? Apparently there is a "baby" harrisons out there which i could get cheaper. I guess im going to buy the big one unless i get a resounding no from this board. I just hate the fact i have to spend 135 on one book (ouch)

Harrisons is a great reference book. good for shelling pecans, too.

Look the info up online (or on a PDA) and read the thing in the library.

BTW, I bought the 15th ed last year on ebay (new, in the box) for like $50. It pays to shop around.

Amy B said:
I have a friend that swears that Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, as well as the pharm and micro ones in this series helped her pass her course exams. She is now a MSIII

I just bought Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple. Its only 91 pages and i bet if i wanted to i could read the whole thing in a few hours, also it is focused only on clinical application. Its a good book so far but i think im going to need another book to go along with it.

There is no way I could have passed my neuro class with any neuro review book. Our official text was Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases. I thought it was a good book. I used High Yield Neuroanatomy for board review & thought it was sufficient for that.

Elysium, you're in a sticky spot with the books here since you don't have any upper classmen to ask which books were most useful at your school. I'd definitely start with the bare minimum. I'm a book junkie, myself, but I wait for a class to get going before I go buying much of anything. That said, here're my basic recommendations of books that have served me well:

Anatomy: Netter I'd just read Moore or whatever text you're using in the library & save the $$
Histology: I don't think I have any book I'm big on here
Biochemistry: One of these 2 books. I think both are good. Lippincott's Biochemistry or Rapid Review Biochemistry
Physiology: Costanzo's Physiology
Immuno: High Yield Immunology
Micro: Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
OMM: Savarese's OMT Review
Pathology: either one of these 2 books (Goljan is incredible). The first book is new. Rapid Review Pathology or Goljan's Pathology
Pharm: Brenner's Pharmacology

Hope that helps some :)

Ok what does everyone think about older edition texts. I am extremely fortunate in that I personally know a resident who went to the medical school I'm attending and she passed down a bunch of books to me. They're almost all 1 or 2 editions behind what the school is recommending.

Is this really a big deal? Do the texts change that much? I remember looking at my MCAT materials from KAPLAN and the crap didn't change for like 5 years - maybe some new pictures or diagrams.

I am used to reading a lot and plan on being a book junkie but don't want to all out waste $$$.

-J

DrMom said:
There is no way I could have passed my neuro class with any neuro review book. Our official text was Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases. I thought it was a good book. I used High Yield Neuroanatomy for board review & thought it was sufficient for that.

Elysium, you're in a sticky spot with the books here since you don't have any upper classmen to ask which books were most useful at your school. I'd definitely start with the bare minimum. I'm a book junkie, myself, but I wait for a class to get going before I go buying much of anything. That said, here're my basic recommendations of books that have served me well:

Anatomy: Netter I'd just read Moore or whatever text you're using in the library & save the $$
Histology: I don't think I have any book I'm big on here
Biochemistry: One of these 2 books. I think both are good. Lippincott's Biochemistry or Rapid Review Biochemistry
Physiology: Costanzo's Physiology
Immuno: High Yield Immunology
Micro: Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
OMM: Savarese's OMT Review
Pathology: either one of these 2 books (Goljan is incredible). The first book is new. Rapid Review Pathology or Goljan's Pathology
Pharm: Brenner's Pharmacology

Hope that helps some :)

Costanzo vs. Guyton?

DOctorJay said:
Ok what does everyone think about older edition texts. I am extremely fortunate in that I personally know a resident who went to the medical school I'm attending and she passed down a bunch of books to me. They're almost all 1 or 2 editions behind what the school is recommending.

Is this really a big deal? Do the texts change that much? I remember looking at my MCAT materials from KAPLAN and the crap didn't change for like 5 years - maybe some new pictures or diagrams.

I am used to reading a lot and plan on being a book junkie but don't want to all out waste $$$.

-J

Depends on the book. I wouldn't use an old pharm book (although, I don't mean that you have to have this year's book...the one I have listed isn't absolutely new...but didn't lack anything I needed), for example, because there are always new drugs coming out. Most anything else won't be too different if it's relatively recent.

Cowboy DO said:

Totally unnecessary. Buy Cecil's Essentials of Medicine. If you get through that and understand it then go buy Current Clinical Medicine. Its actually useful. Crack open a Harrisons for presentations.

Thanks again guys, for all the replies. Yeah, I feel kinda screwed since we're the first class and no one knows what to expect. I'm not much of a textbook person and I'm cheap as hell to boot (strictly out of necessity, mind you) so that's why I'm badgering my fellow future and current DOs for advice.

Seems like Costanza is the fave across the board, as is Rohen's and Netter's. My SO only read notes during his first two years (and managed to honor just about everything), while other people use texts heavily. It's hard to know what to do. I truly do appreciate all your suggestions. Please, keep them coming!

Costanzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She could teach a monkey physio.

Guyton is a dangerous object to own. If you happen to drop it onto your foot, you may very well find yourself in a cast for awhile :scared: . That book is pyschotic.