Best Books for M1 & M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMcDreamy231

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be starting med school in Fall 2007... Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best books and/or study guides to invest in. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Will be starting med school in Fall 2007... Just wondering if anyone could recommend the best books and/or study guides to invest in. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

free ones from your school's library

Trust me.

For my first year I or others used the following pretty frequently

Lippincott's Biochemistry (the smartest guy in my class used Rapid Review Biochem, but generally people swear by the Lippincott's)
BRS Physiology, also get the Cases and Problems, they go well together
High Yield Neuroanatomy or USMLE Roadmaps Neuroanatomy
Clinical Microbiology made rediculously simple
Lange Microbiology and Immunology Review (the thick one)
Netter Anatomy Flashcards
High Yield Embryology
High Yield Behavioral Science

Second year, here's what I have used so far
Rapid Review Pathology 2nd ed. (Don't bother with the first)
BRS Pathology 3rd (But am using RR more)
Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 7th
Rapid Review Pharmacology (haven't used it much yet. bought it mainly for board review)

By default, you should pick up a copy of First Aid. You may see people wait to get the 2008 if you're going to be an M1, but the 2007 should be just fine. There's not much change from year to year, and the subtle differences shouldn't make much difference in your score. I'm taking step 1 this year, and I'm using 2006. I'm annotating it as I go through my review books.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my first year I or others used the following pretty frequently

Lippincott's Biochemistry (the smartest guy in my class used Rapid Review Biochem, but generally people swear by the Lippincott's)
BRS Physiology, also get the Cases and Problems, they go well together
High Yield Neuroanatomy or USMLE Roadmaps Neuroanatomy
Clinical Microbiology made rediculously simple
Lange Microbiology and Immunology Review (the thick one)
Netter Anatomy Flashcards
High Yield Embryology
High Yield Behavioral Science

Second year, here's what I have used so far
Rapid Review Pathology 2nd ed. (Don't bother with the first)
BRS Pathology 3rd (But am using RR more)
Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 7th
Rapid Review Pharmacology (haven't used it much yet. bought it mainly for board review)

By default, you should pick up a copy of First Aid. You may see people wait to get the 2008 if you're going to be an M1, but the 2007 should be just fine. There's not much change from year to year, and the subtle differences shouldn't make much difference in your score. I'm taking step 1 this year, and I'm using 2006. I'm annotating it as I go through my review books.

You used these books frequently as part of MS1 & 2 for board review or for classes? Also, did you feel that Lange for micro was necessary in addition to MRS + FA? FA 2006 has a long list of errors that someone had posted elsewhere.
For class, don't you think the full text physio would be better from constanzo rather than BRS?

Don't buy anything until you start school. Honest. Most med students spend several hundred dollars on books they never use. Don't add to this statistic.

You used these books frequently as part of MS1 & 2 for board review or for classes? Also, did you feel that Lange for micro was necessary in addition to MRS + FA? FA 2006 has a long list of errors that someone had posted elsewhere.
For class, don't you think the full text physio would be better from constanzo rather than BRS?

Ah I forgot to put that. I used BRS Phys and Costanzo; I was thinking of both and wrote out just the one. I did use the full Costanzo physio.

As far as full textbooks, I did sometimes but most of the time relied on review books because they are quicker and faster to go through. If people in my class want more in-depth info, they'll look something up in a textbook. It saves time, IMO, to study board-relevant material from the beginning and supplement it with more detailed study on areas that lectures or our lab cases require.

Don't buy anything until you start school. Honest. Most med students spend several hundred dollars on books they never use. Don't add to this statistic.

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought a couple of books before my first year began, convinced that I was really on top of things. I never opened them.