Best books/prep classes for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansbbans

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what's the best material to prep for the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I only used 2 things to study for the DAT:

1. Kaplan book with CD
2. Topscore CD

I read the whole Kaplan book first and then I took the test in the book. I then took the DAT on CD that came with the book. I'd like to note that I went over all my answers whether right or wrong, and made sure I understood the explanations.

After that, I took the tests on the Topscore CD, eventhough they didn't have any explanations to the answers, they list the topics for each question so I was able to refer to my Kaplan book when I was reviewing all my answers. Between these 2, you should have enough questions. Go through them at least twice (I think I went over some of the tests 3 times).

I had 2 months to study before the test, but the key here is to set a schedule and stick to it. I studied for about 20 hrs/week for the first month, and stepped up to 25 hrs/week the 2nd. I didn't study at all 2 days prior the test, got plenty of rest, watched a funny movie and kept my mind off the DAT.

It's gonna be a little sacrifice if you're not used to studying that much, but it's gonna be well worth it when you open that acceptance letter to your number one choice. Best of luck to you!!

save your money and don't take any of those prep classes. Buy the kaplan book and topscore cd-rom and you will be set. seriously, the 1000 bucks you'll spend on Kraplan will come in handy when you are interviewing.

shootin, did you use simply the normal kaplan book or did you happen to acquire the kaplan books that they give in their review classes.

Does anyone know if those books from the class are any good? Thanks a lot in advance.