Best books/reasources to shine on auditions and 3rd year rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc145

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 3rd year, really interested in peds. I know that the nelson's textbook seems to be the gold standard, but it seems too long/detailed for a beginner-- which I don't necessarily have a problem with, I just wont have the time to read it on a month long rotation.

What beginner books and resources would you all recommend to give me a good solid base in pediatrics before my auditions?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's great to be motivated to do some reading and preparation before a rotation, to demonstrate that you care enough to build a little knowledge base before you start. But a big misconception that a lot of medical students starting out have is that we care about how much you know on the beginning of the rotation. You're an MS3- nobody expects you to know much or else there would be no point to clinical rotations.

Way more important is the effort you put in to be a team player, to intuitively understand the ways you can help the team on a daily basis without being told, and then once you are given responsibility and assigned individual patients, reading up on their disease processes or physiology and then teaching us something we didn't know. As a med student, you will have more time for reading and learning than your residents will have by a factor of about ten, and making use of that in a way that's not too gunner-ish- maybe an interesting article every now and again, or a five minute discussion on rounds- is what will make you stand out.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's great to be motivated to do some reading and preparation before a rotation, to demonstrate that you care enough to build a little knowledge base before you start. But a big misconception that a lot of medical students starting out have is that we care about how much you know on the beginning of the rotation. You're an MS3- nobody expects you to know much or else there would be no point to clinical rotations.

Way more important is the effort you put in to be a team player, to intuitively understand the ways you can help the team on a daily basis without being told, and then once you are given responsibility and assigned individual patients, reading up on their disease processes or physiology and then teaching us something we didn't know. As a med student, you will have more time for reading and learning than your residents will have by a factor of about ten, and making use of that in a way that's not too gunner-ish- maybe an interesting article every now and again, or a five minute discussion on rounds- is what will make you stand out.

Does this apply to 4th year med students on audition rotations as well? Of course a little bit more fundamental knowledge of dev milestones, vaccine schedules, and antibiotics. About to go on my first real audition rotation and really want to do well here.

Does this apply to 4th year med students on audition rotations as well? Of course a little bit more fundamental knowledge of dev milestones, vaccine schedules, and antibiotics. About to go on my first real audition rotation and really want to do well here.

Yes. If the third year students on rotation with you are outshining you, you need to do more. But otherwise, just showing enthusiasm and reading up on your patients will get you pretty far.