Best books to use for studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtblt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before somewhere, but I've tried looking around and I can't seem to figure out which books people seem to think are best. Goljan, First Aid, UW, Kaplan are being mentioned, but if I could pick just one or two, which is my best bet?

I've already signed up for the Kaplan live course, but I was questioning whether or not I should stick with the live course or just study from the Kaplan books on my own. I came across this thread while researching; however, it seems like people here prefer other brands over Kaplan overall.

So... Has anyone here taken the Kaplan live course? Or what better suggestions do you have? Any help is much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has probably been asked before somewhere, but I've tried looking around and I can't seem to figure out which books people seem to think are best. Goljan, First Aid, UW, Kaplan are being mentioned, but if I could pick just one or two, which is my best bet?

I've already signed up for the Kaplan live course, but I was questioning whether or not I should stick with the live course or just study from the Kaplan books on my own. I came across this thread while researching; however, it seems like people here prefer other brands over Kaplan overall.

So... Has anyone here taken the Kaplan live course? Or what better suggestions do you have? Any help is much appreciated. :)

A few questions first:
1. Are you a US Student?
2. When are you taking your exam?
3. Have you assessed your baseline, i.e. taken an NMBE or simulated exam?

I am a US student, finishing my second year in the beginning of May. I'm taking the Step 1 in mid-June, leaving me 6 weeks from when finals end to my test date. I took the required NBME at school a couple of weeks ago, but I hadn't studying one bit for it, nor did I put that much effort into it, so I don't know how representative it is of where I am (I scored the equivalent of a 175, if it matters).

I am a US student, finishing my second year in the beginning of May. I'm taking the Step 1 in mid-June, leaving me 6 weeks from when finals end to my test date. I took the required NBME at school a couple of weeks ago, but I hadn't studying one bit for it, nor did I put that much effort into it, so I don't know how representative it is of where I am (I scored the equivalent of a 175, if it matters).

With 6 weeks to study and your background I would suggest:
FA+ Goljan or BRS Path + BRS Phys + World

Kaplan is a great resource, but there is a TON of information to get through in 6 weeks, it definitely can be done, but I would think focusing on a few key resources would be more beneficial.