• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

bluesTank

Zombie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
College Station, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Alright...I NEED to get some, I cant stand my dorm/library/local coffee joints when there are people talking around me and im trying to study.

What are some good brands? I am leaning towards some earbuds but im not sure which ones are good.

Thanks

About the Ads

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Alright...I NEED to get some, I cant stand my dorm/library/local coffee joints when there are people talking around me and im trying to study.

What are some good brands? I am leaning towards some earbuds but im not sure which ones are good.

Thanks

If you plan to play music, earbuds can do more damage than good if you turn the volume up to over 70dB (or about the level of normal conversation). I would stick with over the ear head phones.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001P4XA/104-9883721-6433545

B00001P4XA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These are Koss earphones. To me, they are the combination of earplugs and earbuds, as they conform to your inner ear to seal out external sounds, while rigid plastic tubes in the center of the foam plugs channel sounds in. When I sued to study at coffee shops, these allowed me to listen to music without having to crank ip up to compete with the ambient noise. Pretty cheap solution for about $11.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2000
Status (Visible)
I have the over-the-ear model from Sharper Image and love them. I also have the noise reduction ear buds from Sony and hate them.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Bose sucks -- avoid Bose at all costs. Horrible sound quality! You DON'T get what you pay for.

The best earphones are the "noise-isolating" ones, not noise-cancelling. The best earphone, in terms of sound quality, bang-for-the-buck, and noise isolation, is the Etymotic Research ER-4 headphone. It can block up to 42 dB of external noise. Since it blocks out external noise, you don't have to turn up the volume in order to hear your audio, so it spares your eardrums. I got my pair for $160 at Amazon (ER-4P model). There's really nothing good for under $50 in my opinion. For under $100, look at the Etymotic Research ER-6i, which can block around 35 dB of noise. I have both and they sound great, more audiophile than the Bose over-marketed crap.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2002
Status (Visible)
How about saving yourself a few hundred and $5 bucks (coffee), and study somewhere quiet like the library? Or your room? Or an empty classroom?

booji

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
Okay this may seem like a stupid question but, are you allowed to take noise cancelling headphones into the testing site? I mean if its not plugged into anything, would it be a problem?

docG2383

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
most test sites provide u with headphones....You cant bring your own. It is very strict ....I had a cold and was not even allowed to bring in tissue.

NY Musicologist

Career Changer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2005
Boston
Status (Visible)
Mack's Ear Seals

I used Mack's for a while, but my hair kept getting caught in the wax. I use Hearos foam plugs, which are comfy and actually seem to block MORE noise than the Mack's did. You could try layering these under another type of earmuff-type headset, maybe, but I've never done this myself.

dr_90210

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
Bose sucks -- avoid Bose at all costs. Horrible sound quality! You DON'T get what you pay for.

The best earphones are the "noise-isolating" ones, not noise-cancelling. The best earphone, in terms of sound quality, bang-for-the-buck, and noise isolation, is the Etymotic Research ER-4 headphone. It can block up to 42 dB of external noise. Since it blocks out external noise, you don't have to turn up the volume in order to hear your audio, so it spares your eardrums. I got my pair for $160 at Amazon (ER-4P model). There's really nothing good for under $50 in my opinion. For under $100, look at the Etymotic Research ER-6i, which can block around 35 dB of noise. I have both and they sound great, more audiophile than the Bose over-marketed crap.

i agree, i suggest ER-4

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.