Best Camera for Orthodontic Records

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquidsLife

Navy to NiTi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for an affordable digital camera to use for orthodontic records? I've seen some photos from point and shoot camera's that are almost as good as SLR cameras.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any suggestions for an affordable digital camera to use for orthodontic records? I've seen some photos from point and shoot camera's that are almost as good as SLR cameras.

Just make sure it's a different one than what you use to take naked pictures of your wife/girlfriend/mistress... Don't need those memory cards getting mixed up...

Consider a Sony H5. A friend in clinic has one and it takes sweet photos.

Members don't see this ad :)
I own an Olympus C8080 and will use it for residence.

I am curious as to whether anyone has any experience with or has heard anything from someone who does have experience with the camera set-ups from PhotoMed. They equip digital SLRs and some of the top-of-the-line point-and-shoot digitals with proper intra-oral settings and ring flashes or their own flash diffusion systems for those that are not made to accomodate a ring flash. I am particularly interested in info on the non-SLR digitals such as the Canon G7 fitted with the PhotoMed proprietary flash diffusion system. Thanks for any info.

I have a G6 from Photomed, and I don't have one complaint about the pictures. However, I use it only occasionally for orthodontic photos. Unless the flash diffuser is attached differently than mine, it is a little awkward to remove and reattach when taking full face shots. It can be done, and will work great, but not the most efficient in my opinion.

Anyone using the Canon S3 IS for intra-oral and extra-oral shots? Looks like a decent camera for ortho records.

I use the Canon S3 IS for intra and extra oral picture for ortho records.

its decent, I dunno if it meets the requirements for the ABO

the disadvantages of this camera (and of any other non advanced SLR systems): having to hold the camera in weird positions to get the flash in the right direction, magnification since you cant go 1:1 ratio in macro

but can live with that

Im thinking of buying a macro lens and some kind of directionnal flash

the results are even better than shown but I made a pdf

Attachments

• am3.pdf
    283.9 KB · Views: 211
Thanks for sharing the pics. Not too shabby:thumbup:

Does anyone know anything about the Canon EOS Rebel XTi? I am thinking of buying one. Does it meet the ABO requirements