Best Career of 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cochlear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to US News & World Report: "Moves to make healthcare more affordable will increase the range of opportunities for careers with fewer educational requirements (and more moderate pay), such as physician assistants or physical therapist assistants." But optometrists and veterinarians still made the list and their educational requirements are similar to audiologist's, a 4-year degree.

So, I think regardless of making the list or not, audiology is definitely on my personal best careers list.

Last edited:
According to US News & World Report: "Moves to make healthcare more affordable will increase the range of opportunities for careers with fewer educational requirements (and more moderate pay), such as physician assistants or physical therapist assistants." But optometrists and veterinarians still made the list and their educational requirements are similar to audiologist's, a 4-year degree.

So, I think regardless of making the list or not, audiology is definitely on my personal best careers list.

Interesting indeed. I noticed for the past couple years the editors of US News & World Report had been lamenting the fact that audiology transitioned to a doctoral level profession and no longer held that "master-level education with doctor-level prestige" bit US News writer/career expert Marty Nemko was so often fond of saying.

Our absence from the list can't really have much to do with amount of debt vs. generated income. If that were the case I highly doubt vets would be on the top careers list. They make around the same as audis with double and sometimes triple the debt unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting indeed. I noticed for the past couple years the editors of US News & World Report had been lamenting the fact that audiology transitioned to a doctoral level profession and no longer held that "master-level education with doctor-level prestige" bit US News writer/career expert Marty Nemko was so often fond of saying.

That's silly. If I have doctor-level prestige, I want a doctorate! I don't want to be incorrectly prestiged. I can't imagine having only a Master's in a clinic and someone goes, "The doctor will see you now."

Knowing me, I'd have to pipe up, "Actually...."

Registered nurse is a crappy job. It shouldn't be that way, but they are ridiculously understaffed and overloaded with charting work. This list seems to reflect lesser duration of education period.. Once our generation joins the professional ranks, we will own this list! (half-way kidding)

I consulted the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition and for Audiologists it stated: "Much faster than average employment growth is projected. However, because of the small size of the occupation, few job openings are expected. Job prospects will be favorable for those possessing the Au.D. degree."

Sound promising to you guys?

I consulted the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition and for Audiologists it stated: "Much faster than average employment growth is projected. However, because of the small size of the occupation, few job openings are expected. Job prospects will be favorable for those possessing the Au.D. degree."

Ack! I wish I could find the original source for what I'm about to say, but I learned it in class and don't have access to those slide show presentations anymore.

During my intro course to CSED, we were reminded of the Baby Boomer generation and how close they are to flooding the healthcare market. The chart my professor showed us indicated a significant leap around 2012-2020 in people over the age of 65. This means more jobs!

Just a thought. :)

Okay, this is the closest I could come.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/WAI-AGE/Drafts/slides/US-pop.png

In 2020, over 15% of the US population will be over the age of 65, as opposed to some 12% currently. Personally, I think the jump will be more significant. In any case, the chart shows that by 2035, 20% of the US population will be over 65.

Last edited:

While I think the above statement may be true, I would hesitate to rely on BLS information when making your decisions, especially the information they publish on wages. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure their statistics don't include self-employed people-as in private practice audiologists who tend to make more than those who are employees.

BLS actually has a pretty miserable estimation of wages for audiologists, including this table showing that pretty much all other healthcare therapists make more money:

figure_05.png

http://www.bls.gov/oes/2008/may/chartbook_occupation_focus.htm#figure5

This topic is becoming discouraging... as far as 4 years of school, $100,000 in debt, and only making that much.. whew good thing I love audiology.

The fact is at the medical facility I work at, audiologists get paid A LOT more than OT, PT, and other "therapists". I cannot speak for the SLP as she is a supervisor and gets paid as a supervisor.

Other doctorate professions such as eye and dental- they get paid A LOT more than audiologists here at the facility, but I blame that on audiology being a newer field!

-Hope this is encouraging!!

The fact is at the medical facility I work at, audiologists get paid A LOT more than OT, PT, and other "therapists". I cannot speak for the SLP as she is a supervisor and gets paid as a supervisor.

I think it really depends on:
-- your location
-- your employment setting
-- your ability to negotiate pay
-- the profession's recognition in the area
-- your qualifications (remember that you can still practice without an ASHA number, but you may make less that way) and specialties (balance and/or CI training may yield a higher salary than just normal education).

I'm hopeful. I see the Generation Xers and the Baby Boomers tipping the scales very soon. I'm not worried at all! :)

This topic is becoming discouraging... as far as 4 years of school, $100,000 in debt, and only making that much.. whew good thing I love audiology.

Other doctorate professions such as eye and dental- they get paid A LOT more than audiologists here at the facility, but I blame that on audiology being a newer field!

A LOT can mean A LOT of things. :) Just curious, what are we talking here pay wise for audiologists at your medical facility? I usually hear about PTs making a bit more than us, so I'm kinda surprised.

A LOT can mean A LOT of things. :) Just curious, what are we talking here pay wise for audiologists at your medical facility? I usually hear about PTs making a bit more than us, so I'm kinda surprised.

A LOt can mean different things. I am talking a difference of $10,000 or more. PT's and OT's are like audiology to where they are coming from a Master's to a Doctorate, they dont make more at this facility.

So yes it depends on location ect..

At least you're learning this now...

A LOt can mean different things. I am talking a difference of $10,000 or more. PT's and OT's are like audiology to where they are coming from a Master's to a Doctorate, they dont make more at this facility.

So yes it depends on location ect..

Could you ballpark a salary range for the audiologists at your facility and give us a general location i.e. midwest, northeast, etc.? Thanks!

Could you ballpark a salary range for the audiologists at your facility and give us a general location i.e. midwest, northeast, etc.? Thanks!

Sure! West Coast.. and the audiologists make ~$80,000 (that comes with experience too)

Hope this can clear up some confusion and discouraging thoughts!!

Think happy thoughts about audiology, we have a long way to go!!

Sure! West Coast.. and the audiologists make ~$80,000 (that comes with experience too)

Hope this can clear up some confusion and discouraging thoughts!!

Think happy thoughts about audiology, we have a long way to go!!

Nice! I'm on the West Coast too and that's definitely encouraging to hear. :thumbup:

While I know that salary is very important, I want to remind you all that when you are looking at jobs, the fringe benefits are just as important as the salary. This includes the quality and extent of health-, dental- and vision-care; maternity options; 401k options, etc.

These benefits cost employers a good amount of money. So, the goal is not to just find the highest paying job, but the one that has a better all around salary/benefit package that can help keep you healthy during your time there and that can help you build a nice retirement plan for when you leave.

Hope this helps. Good luck all!

While I know that salary is very important, I want to remind you all that when you are looking at jobs, the fringe benefits are just as important as the salary. This includes the quality and extent of health-, dental- and vision-care; maternity options; 401k options, etc.

These benefits cost employers a good amount of money. So, the goal is not to just find the highest paying job, but the one that has a better all around salary/benefit package that can help keep you healthy during your time there and that can help you build a nice retirement plan for when you leave.

Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Quoted for truth! This is a very good point, PinkShark, thank you for bringing it up! (Especially these days, when so many full-time employers are cutting medical benefits.)