Best Chances for Out of State Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted705154

Hi everyone!

I'm sure someone has asked this before but I'm having a hard time finding any answers - I'm trying to find information about average out of state acceptance rates / number of out of state students per graduating class for US veterinary colleges but so far, I've been unsuccessful. Does anyone have insight to where I could find that information besides checking each individual website?

I'm narrowing down my application list right now - trying to be frugal and only apply to state schools that regularly accept a decent amount of OOS. (I live in Colorado and am looking for other potential options in addition to CSU). For example, I heard from a current student that Oklahoma State accepts a fair amount of OOS students each cycle...not sure if that's true or not. Any others that stand out to you?

Thanks for any insight you may have :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!

I'm sure someone has asked this before but I'm having a hard time finding any answers - I'm trying to find information about average out of state acceptance rates / number of out of state students per graduating class for US veterinary colleges but so far, I've been unsuccessful. Does anyone have insight to where I could find that information besides checking each individual website?

I'm narrowing down my application list right now - trying to be frugal and only apply to state schools that regularly accept a decent amount of OOS. (I live in Colorado and am looking for other options as CSU is extremely competitive). For example, I've heard that Oklahoma State accepts a fair amount of OOS students each cycle. Any others that stand out to you?

Some schools publish this information on their websites. I know you can find it for WSU, for each class.

Haha. Didn't read your entire post. But yeah . . . checking individual websites is the surest way to get accurate info for each school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many will publish it, and like has been said, VMSAR is a good thing to have if you don't want to scurry around websites all day.

In my personal experience, LSU (my in state school) only takes 15 OOS and 9 Arkansas contract seats. Mississippi State has a class of 90 and takes 40 IS, around 13 SC/WV contracts, and the rest are OOS students. Texas A&M takes around 6-7 OOS.

Many will publish it, and like has been said, VMSAR is a good thing to have if you don't want to scurry around websites all day.

In my personal experience, LSU (my in state school) only takes 15 OOS and 9 Arkansas contract seats. Mississippi State has a class of 90 and takes 40 IS, around 13 SC/WV contracts, and the rest are OOS students. Texas A&M takes around 6-7 OOS.
Well ****. That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ohio State! Half of their 160-seat class comes from OOS :) I think this year they accepted almost double that, so that might be your best OOS bet

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

I'm narrowing down my application list right now - trying to be frugal and only apply to state schools that regularly accept a decent amount of OOS. (I live in Colorado and am looking for other options as CSU is extremely competitive). For example, I've heard that Oklahoma State accepts a fair amount of OOS students each cycle. Any others that stand out to you?

About 1/2 of the class for Illinois is OOS. Rumored to be increasing in the next few years as well. I think Kansas is another that accepts a big number of OOS.

When I was first thinking about schools last year I found this page very helpful

http://aavmc.org/College-Specific-R...ific-Requirements_College-Specifications.aspx

I clicked on a school, scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page to look at class size and tuition, then did more research about individual schools from there.

Admissions to any vet school is going to be super competitive, you should figure out what your strengths as an applicant are and look for schools that evaluate those aspects most highly.

Not sure why that's relevant, UMN is also a land-grant university and our class is like 45 OOS : 55 IS
I was about to say... the majority of vet schools are at land-grant universities.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/supv...4/11/USA-Veterinary-Schools-tuition-table.pdf

This should help. The out of state tuition does not take into account those schools that let you switch to instate tuition after the first year. That information is available on another thread.
Just based on some of the numbers listed in that PDF, I think it's slightly outdated. Here is a very recently updated one by the AAVMC: http://aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/geninfo.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State for sure is a great option!! I was OOS everywhere and OSU accepted me while many others did not! I also love the fact that you can get residency and switch to IS tuition after first year! I definitely recommend applying there as an OOS student!

Purdue has a class of ~84 and it is split evenly between OOS and IS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was about to say... the majority of vet schools are at land-grant universities.
Gotcha- wasn't sure. All I know is that at okstate they love to mention that they're a land grant university- so I didn't know that there were a lot others in the nation.

Mizzou is 60 IS/60 OOS, although they do tend to attract a fair amount of applicants due to the ability to change to IS residency after first year

Gotcha- wasn't sure. All I know is that at okstate they love to mention that they're a land grant university- so I didn't know that there were a lot others in the nation.

I think many if not most of the state vet schools are land grant universities. Just because of the agricultural value of vet schools, even some that are not public state vet schools are at designated land grant universities. Cornell and Tuskeegee are land grants. Interestingly, UPenn is not (penn state is the land grant). Tufts is not either, though MIT is on top of one of the UMass schools.

I didn't even know such things existed until I went to Colorado. Never even heard the term before.

Here's a list if interested:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_land-grant_universities

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ohio State for sure is a great option!! I was OOS everywhere and OSU accepted me while many others did not! I also love the fact that you can get residency and switch to IS tuition after first year! I definitely recommend applying there as an OOS student!
Yes, OSU (Ohio State) is a good option. Nearly half of the c/o 2019 is OOS (80 OOS vs. 82 IS). Your chances are pretty fair if you are OOS. I feel like a minority though, because there was only 23 guys in that class and I'm sure there aren't much more in my class. Oh how times have changed lol :shrug:

Yes, OSU (Ohio State) is a good option. Nearly half of the c/o 2019 is OOS (80 OOS vs. 82 IS). Your chances are pretty fair if you are OOS. I feel like a minority though, because there was only 23 guys in that class and I'm sure there aren't much more in my class. Oh how times have changed lol :shrug:
Pretty typical of vet school classes. The applicant pool is about 80/20 female to male, so the classes reflect that.

Pretty typical of vet school classes. The applicant pool is about 80/20 female to male, so the classes reflect that.
Yes, the classes consisting of mainly women is commonplace. I was referring to the fact it is pretty interesting when my vet was in school, it was predominantly guys lol.

Yes, the classes consisting of mainly women is commonplace. I was referring to the fact it is pretty interesting when my vet was in school, it was predominantly guys lol.
Well, that would probably have been true of any professional school in that time period. There are other fields that have the same trend though (which makes sense since historically every field was previously male dominated). Some sociologists think that the more female-dominated a field becomes, the more it will continue in that direction because fewer and fewer males are attracted to the field. Which is also interesting. Nursing comes to mind there.

Last edited:
Ironic...there's a thread on the APVMA page about this.
Well, that would probably have been true of any professional school in that time period. There are other fields that have the same trend though (which makes sense since historically every field was previously male dominated). Some sociologists think that the more female-dominated a field becomes, the more it will continue in that direction because fewer and fewer males are attracted to the field. Which is also interesting. Nursing comes to mind there.
I was told by a special someone that this is because men leave a field after they've realized they have the intellectual capacity to go to a higher paying field, and that women don't realize there may be higher paying fields out there.

I was told by a special someone that this is because men leave a field after they've realized they have the intellectual capacity to go to a higher paying field, and that women don't realize there may be higher paying fields out there.
Pffft

Ironic...there's a thread on the APVMA page about this.

bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf2122976517b75fb9725a7a2f.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
It's already been mentioned, but Kansas accepts a lot of OOS and from what I've heard, can go into the waitlist quite a bit. Since you're in Colorado, that might be appealing :)