Best Child Neurology/Neurology Text?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChildNeuro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good textbook for Child Neurology or just plain ole' general neurology (other than Meritt's)? Is there any text that is considered gold standard, i.e. very good? or even a book about practicing child neurology in a developing country? i.e. common pediatric neurological conditions amoung the indigent i.e. hypothyroidism. . . :confused: Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you want:
I don't know much about paeds neuro texts but Clinical Pediatric Neurology by Gerald M. Fenichel (see below) was recommended to me by on of our attendings (US trained neurologist +EMG+movement). I haven't read it. I don't know anything else about neuropaeds books.

If you want a general neurology text, it depends on the size/purpose. For a large text I really like Adams and victor's (see below). I think it's readable & puts things into a clinical context. For a small text I'd recommend either clinical neurology (LANGE, see below) or neurology secrets (see below). I really liked clinical neurology I read the 2002 edition (junior resident/interested medical student level). Hope it helps.

Clinical Pediatric Neurology: A Signs and Symptoms Approach (Hardcover)
by Gerald M. Fenichel
432 pages
ISBN-10: 1416001697
ISBN-13: 978-1416001690

Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology (8th Edition) (Hardcover)
by Allan H. Ropper (Author), Robert H. Brown (Author)
Hardcover: 1384 pages
ISBN-10: 007141620X
ISBN-13: 978-0071416207

Clinical Neurology (Lange Medical Books) (Paperback)
by Michael J. Aminoff (Author), Robert R. Simon (Author), David Greenberg (Author)
Paperback: 400 pages
ISBN-10: 0071423605
ISBN-13: 978-0071423601

Neurology Secrets: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access (Secrets) (Paperback) by Loren Rolak (Author)
Paperback: 480 pages
ISBN-10: 1560536217
ISBN-13: 978-1560536215

Peds Neuro -Fenichel
Adult Neuro - Bradley

General Neuro - Clinical Neurology by Aminoff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks for the replies so fast!, I need to buy some books soon or lose the funding, here is another I found, I think it is written by the Child Neurologist who discovered Menkes Kinky Hair syndrome:

Child Neurology. John H. Menkes. Hardcover 1186 pages. Publisher Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (10/31/2005). ISBN 0781751047 ($139):thumbup:

T-Minus 15 days to Neuroelective . . .:D

Does anyone know a good textbook for Child Neurology or just plain ole' general neurology (other than Meritt's)? Is there any text that is considered gold standard, i.e. very good? or even a book about practicing child neurology in a developing country? i.e. common pediatric neurological conditions amoung the indigent i.e. hypothyroidism. . . :confused: Thanks

For Peds, Fenichel is pretty much "the" book for cramming in sort-of-systematized lists of differential diagnosis for board exams, but I never liked how it was arranged ("symptoms" based . . . unfortunately, as we all know, the same symptom can be present in multiple conditions, so it's kind of random what chapter things pop up in. There are a lot of comments like "this is discussed in more detail in chapter X" so you have to keep bouncing around.) Also, the book is slim on actual detail for any given condition. Nevertheless, it gets pretty much everyone through neurology boards, and at about $90, it's pretty cheap for a textbook.

Menkes is more comprehensive, but kind of "sloggy," pedantic reading.

Swaiman & Ashwal have a nice 2-volume peds neuro set "Pediatric Neurology -- Principles and practice" I would recommend this over the previous 2 for a good comprehensive peds neuro text.

For general/adult neuro, I used Merritt's and Bradley during residency; Merritt is a good, relatively quick read, and I was a big Bradley fan for more detailed info, but recently I have discovered "Neurological Therapeutics: Principles and Practice" by Noseworthy. Wow! Amazing book. Unfortunately, it's a big, BIG book (newest edition is 3 volumes) and costly ($854.95 new on Amazon, but can get used cheaper).

"Office Practice of Neurology" by Samuels & Feske is pretty good too.

This topic was last updated 4 years ago, so I thought maybe someone can recommend other good peds neuro books that came up in the recent years.

I am a third year med student thinking about peds neuro as possible career choice. I am not in a rush to cram peds neuro material but at the same time don't have much time to go over a two volume comprehensive text.

I guess I'm looking for a good read on this topic, something I can enjoy in between seeing patients at the hospital or on my free time, something that I can carry around with me (not necessarily in a pocket).

I already ordered Pediatric Neurology: A case-based review by Tena Rossner... but it was pretty much shot in the darkness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Back in the day that I was interested in being a child neurologist, by far my favorite book was this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BC07PEHTSQGAMQ0Y1PV

Well written, concise chapters. You can read some samples on Google Books. The full chapter on febrile seizures is here: http://web.squ.edu.om/med-Lib/MED_CD/E_CDs/CHILD NEUROLOGY/docs/ch16.pdf. And while I'm sure that there have been some changes in the field from 2001 to 2008, I'll bet the older used editions will have precious info.

Since March 2007 (when they were recommended), there are newer editions of the textbooks:

Bradley's textbook of Neurology (12/2007):
http://www.amazon.com/Neurology-Cli...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313339506&sr=1-1
This is still the best textbook for teaching Neurology to residents. A revised edition should be released late this year or early next year. They have been updating this textbook about every 4 years.

Fenichel's Pediatric Neurology (2009):
http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Pedi...1851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313339407&sr=8-1
For adult Neurologists, this is what you need to know for the 3-month rotation in pediatric neurology.