Best cities to move to for job prospects...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation in a nutshell. Live in midwest, had chronic illness that put my road to med school longer than I anticipated with what throws on a person. I need a job that pays good financially, doesnt matter what field as long as it pays good to cover past medical bills and has good insurance, that way I can pay my financial obligations while reorganization my path to medical school. I have enough experiences, clinical, research etc... where I really dont need a job jus to impress med school, I need a job to pay the bills. Bachelors in Biomedical Sciences.

Questions:

What city(s) offer the best opportunity for a good job with a good income and good life style while I am in this transitional phase?

What cities offer the best place to be a resident in, I know California probably makes it difficult because it is almost impossible for residents to get into the in state schools with all the competition?

What types of jobs did people with similiar degrees have, like with what exact companies and what exact positions, also if you have a plug or a specific position you can network me with please pm me...

Thanks for your help everyone and taking the time to read my post.

MJ

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say the best places to do work with some kind of bio degree are Boston (tons of life sciences start-ups), the Research Triangle in North Carolina, and New Jersey (the hub for most pharma companies) - however, considering the current state of the economy, I don't know how the hiring is...

I'd say the best places to do work with some kind of bio degree are Boston (tons of life sciences start-ups), the Research Triangle in North Carolina, and New Jersey (the hub for most pharma companies) - however, considering the current state of the economy, I don't know how the hiring is...

Not to mention that many entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelor degree only want to hire local people (sometimes they'll consider you from out of state if they know you are moving here in the next month or so). And it would cost you money to move somewhere in the first place and start renting. Do you have the money to make a cross country move?

This is at least the second time you've asked people on SDN for job leads. I'll say it again - this isn't an efficient way to find a job.

I really think you need to speak with your university's career counseling center and/or get the book What Color is Your Parachute. Job hunting can't be a desperate "I'll take anything" attempt. Employers will sense it. You need to have focus and an idea of what sort of work you want to do (or at least be able to project the image that it's what you want to do).

You need to think about your talents and what you like doing. Then consider some jobs that interest you on company's websites and see what the minimum qualifications are. If you fit the bill or close to it, you apply and hope for an interview.

In terms of good states to be a resident of for medical school, I'm sure you've seen the various threads on that topic. Consistent winners seem to be Texas and Florida. Read through those again.

So pick a state and focus on their major metropolitan areas that have a lot of hospitals and perhaps research institutions/universities or pharm or biomedical companies. Maybe look into Dallas, Houston, etc. Find out what large companies are there and look at their websites (and the hospitals) to see what kind of job you can qualify for with a bachelor degree that interests you.

What city do you live in in the Midwest? Are there no opportunities there or is it that you just want to move? Really, I think it would be hard to just pick up and move across the country without any family nearby or immediate job prospects unless you have some money saved up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention that many entry level jobs for someone with a Bachelor degree only want to hire local people (sometimes they'll consider you from out of state if they know you are moving here in the next month or so). And it would cost you money to move somewhere in the first place and start renting. Do you have the money to make a cross country move?

This is at least the second time you've asked people on SDN for job leads. I'll say it again - this isn't an efficient way to find a job.

I really think you need to speak with your university's career counseling center and/or get the book What Color is Your Parachute. Job hunting can't be a desperate "I'll take anything" attempt. Employers will sense it. You need to have focus and an idea of what sort of work you want to do (or at least be able to project the image that it's what you want to do).

You need to think about your talents and what you like doing. Then consider some jobs that interest you on company's websites and see what the minimum qualifications are. If you fit the bill or close to it, you apply and hope for an interview.

In terms of good states to be a resident of for medical school, I'm sure you've seen the various threads on that topic. Consistent winners seem to be Texas and Florida. Read through those again.

So pick a state and focus on their major metropolitan areas that have a lot of hospitals and perhaps research institutions/universities or pharm or biomedical companies. Maybe look into Dallas, Houston, etc. Find out what large companies are there and look at their websites (and the hospitals) to see what kind of job you can qualify for with a bachelor degree that interests you.

What city do you live in in the Midwest? Are there no opportunities there or is it that you just want to move? Really, I think it would be hard to just pick up and move across the country without any family nearby or immediate job prospects unless you have some money saved up.

I do have money saved up and have the luxury of not being married or having kids so I have the luxury of just having to worry about my expenses and picking up and leaving, I am out of a rent contract and I have a few thousand saved up, few is the keyword, enough for about 1-2months cost of living. I really want something high paying that has good health insurance. I do not care where or what specific job, job something that will get be back to my health and have enough money to pay bills, student loans and maybe start back into the applying/school process.

I am more looking for people not to criticize or act like Dr. Phil on my case without knowing the intimate details about me that I do not feel is necessary to share for the purpose of this thread. I really just want to know of EXACT specific jobs, companies, and locations that someone knows personally either through friends who had a similar degree to mine or those who used there degrees with those jobs before deciding on going back to medical school. Again I am looking for specific jobs, and specific companies, job descriptions, locations, etc... NOT something I can google on my own or already know that is common sense.

I appreciate everyones help...

I do have money saved up and have the luxury of not being married or having kids so I have the luxury of just having to worry about my expenses and picking up and leaving, I am out of a rent contract and I have a few thousand saved up, few is the keyword, enough for about 1-2months cost of living. I really want something high paying that has good health insurance. I do not care where or what specific job, job something that will get be back to my health and have enough money to pay bills, student loans and maybe start back into the applying/school process.

I am more looking for people not to criticize or act like Dr. Phil on my case without knowing the intimate details about me that I do not feel is necessary to share for the purpose of this thread. I really just want to know of EXACT specific jobs, companies, and locations that someone knows personally either through friends who had a similar degree to mine or those who used there degrees with those jobs before deciding on going back to medical school. Again I am looking for specific jobs, and specific companies, job descriptions, locations, etc... NOT something I can google on my own or already know that is common sense.

I appreciate everyones help...

East coast (as was suggested in the Boston area) likely would be a good choice, in my experience large city salaries (i.e. NYC, Chicago, San Francisco) are SUBSTANTIALLY higher than smaller cities' salaries, cost of living is higher, but not that much higher if one is OK with a studio or smaller apartment, food & other costs don't have to be that much more expensive in a large city. (written as a former major city resident who relocated to a smaller city). Check Salary.com to get a feel for salary differences between cities for similar positions.

Thought would be to hit a research library/local library, check out a list of largest companies that are in the space you're searching, and find out where those companies are. I tried a job search at 1,000 miles away years ago, really did not have luck until I was physically IN the new city. Much easier to interview, speak with companies, search entities, etc. when one is in the city, my relocation (self-funded unfortunately) squelched any skepticism on the employers' part of my true ability to relocate to the new city.

Right, you want someone to offer you a job or tell you exactly what to do with your life. This is bizarre and inefficient, and exposes you as a parasite. Coming on a student-driven internet medical forum asking people for EXACT former job titles, salaries, etc. and saying that you want to make as much money as possible without using any of the standard job search tools is never going to land you a job.

Your sole purpose appears to be making money and then going to any medical school that will take you so that you can make MORE money. This is Student Doctor Network, where students discuss issues related to the study of medicine. This is NOT a JOB SEARCH FORUM or a JOB NETWORKING FORUM. Let's take a look at the threads you have started:

picture1nk9.png

You do not belong here, and using the guise of "I plan to go to medical school some day" is not working. The administrators should have followed through with your ban.

Right, you want someone to offer you a job or tell you exactly what to do with your life. This is bizarre and inefficient, and exposes you as a parasite. Coming on a student-driven internet medical forum asking people for EXACT former job titles, salaries, etc. and saying that you want to make as much money as possible without using any of the standard job search tools is never going to land you a job.

Your sole purpose appears to be making money and then going to any medical school that will take you so that you can make MORE money. This is Student Doctor Network, where students discuss issues related to the study of medicine. This is NOT a JOB SEARCH FORUM or a JOB NETWORKING FORUM. Let's take a look at the threads you have started:

picture1nk9.png

You do not belong here, and using the guise of "I plan to go to medical school some day" is not working. The administrators should have followed through with your ban.

You got too much on your hands just trying to destroy threads with your useless responses. Ofcourses this website is for giving and seeking advice of all sorts. You do not know my situation, so dont judge before knowing anything about me. Like I said I will just disregard your response as something written by someone ignorant which doesnt deserve the time for me to respond to.

Thanks for the responses for those who took the time to respond. As it can be obviously seen, I did not have a plan B after graduation it was Med School and Med School only. I did not expect the obstalces life threw at me since graduation thats forcing me into the work force immediately to help cover my medical expenses. I found out real quick being from a small city in the midwest doesnt help. I am still curious of what exact companies and what exact jobs those with a similiar background of mine held and what sites other than careerbuilder and monster can be helpful, what positions other than research are there exactly for those with a Biomedical Sicnes degree.

Thank you guys!!!

picture1nk9.png

By the way with being an ADULT older student that isnt even in medical school you DO NEED to look at yourself better before trolling others, take a look at your own threads and responses buddy...

Why are doctors more cynical than nurses?
Views: 490
Posted By nu2004
Need help with sex life...
Views: 1,359
Posted By nu2004
At what point has the pizza guy no longer earned a tip?
Views: 26
Posted By nu2004
This may be a stupid question but..
Views: 64
Posted By nu2004
Is the MCAT a fair entrance exam?
Transfer from DO - MD
Views: 1,586
Posted By nu2004

I also love the maturity and usefulness of your posts and response to others:
nu2004 dislikes premeds

Also look at some of the all the trolling and attacks you do on others as demstrated by you attacking others on other threads, funny you call others trolls when in that response all you do is describe yourself to the tee...
nu2004 dislikes premeds

you should. you come across like a 13 year-old in all your posts."omg troll!" "nudie pics lol" "omg SOOOOO fake".

Seems like you need to work on yourself before investing time trying to troll on other peoples threads…You should know with how old you are that trolling is not liked, being as old as you are and asking over and over on threads whether younger med students accept older students, frankly with your type of behavior I don't think anyone can or would like to accept you!

Please keep personal attacks and personal disagreements out of the public forums, please, or the thread will be closed.

Texas and Ohio have the largest number of medical school seats per population.

You can probably get good insurance working for a large state university/medical center in a large city in a research lab. The pay might not be great at the start, but depending on where you work and how you want to live you can still put money away. After college I worked for a couple years in a research lab at a medical school in a large CA city. I started around 15/hr and got steady, albeit small raises. Not a ton of money, but it paid the bills, and it's more than you'll make in a smaller city where a research tech will probably start around $10/hr, even at a medical center and with a BA/BS. Because it was a state employer the insurance benefits were quite good as well (better than what I get through my current med school, both in terms of cost to me and benefits covered).

You can probably get good insurance working for a large state university/medical center in a large city in a research lab. The pay might not be great at the start, but depending on where you work and how you want to live you can still put money away. After college I worked for a couple years in a research lab at a medical school in a large CA city. I started around 15/hr and got steady, albeit small raises. Not a ton of money, but it paid the bills, and it's more than you'll make in a smaller city where a research tech will probably start around $10/hr, even at a medical center and with a BA/BS. Because it was a state employer the insurance benefits were quite good as well (better than what I get through my current med school, both in terms of cost to me and benefits covered).

Thanks, good perspective...

I am still curious of what exact companies and what exact jobs those with a similiar background of mine held and what sites other than careerbuilder and monster can be helpful, what positions other than research are there exactly for those with a Biomedical Sicnes degree.

Thank you guys!!!

Really, this is not the place to be looking for high paying job recommendations. Nor do I think that it is appropriate for you to ask exact positions or exact jobs that people held. We are pre-meds, and med students. If you want a job that will help you get some experience for med school, people here may have some good input. You have a bio degree, don't expect to go out there and make 6 figures. Maybe if you're lucky you can get into a pharma company somewhere and make $45,000 but if you're bringing nothing to the table but a BS, good luck. You're taking up room on our non-trad pre-med forum with your job search.

Really, this is not the place to be looking for high paying job recommendations. Nor do I think that it is appropriate for you to ask exact positions or exact jobs that people held. We are pre-meds, and med students. If you want a job that will help you get some experience for med school, people here may have some good input. You have a bio degree, don't expect to go out there and make 6 figures. Maybe if you're lucky you can get into a pharma company somewhere and make $45,000 but if you're bringing nothing to the table but a BS, good luck. You're taking up room on our non-trad pre-med forum with your job search.

Not to be too frank, but I really dont care what you think, this room is to ask for advice of all kinds, if you have nothing to offer answering the questions then please do keep your comments to yourself. Comments like yours will do nothing but start a negative dialogue, and being 30 and half way through your life I think you should be way more mature and old enough to know this without being told. Thanks...

Not to be too frank, but I really dont care what you think, this room is to ask for advice of all kinds, if you have nothing to offer answering the questions then please do keep your comments to yourself. Comments like yours will do nothing but start a negative dialogue, and being 30 and half way through your life I think you should be way more mature and old enough to know this without being told. Thanks...

Dear aspiring physician:

In 2000, the average life expectancy for American females was 79. It has likely increased since then.

Source

Don't worry, this lesson was tuition-free.

I was being realistic, sorry if the truth hurts. If you don't want peoples opinions you shouldn't be posting on a public forum. You are getting flamed repeatedly for your posts that are not related to medical school. Once would have been fine but how many times do you need to ask the same question? You're not going to get some magical response that will give you a job paying six figures with a BS in Bio. You need to go out there and do some real research on jobs that are possible for you. The topic of this forum is non-traditional students with pre-medical concerns, not your job hunt. Honestly this thread should have been closed a while ago as many of your other threads have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.