Best City for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's the best city to be a med student?

• NYC

Votes: 64 29.6%
  • Philly

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Chicago

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • H-town

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • San Francisco

Votes: 40 18.5%
  • Washington D.C.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Boston

Votes: 23 10.6%
  • New Orleans

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to include the most often cited cities from the previous thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know which to pick. It is a tie between NYC and Philly. Philly is cheaper, but NYC is NYC.

Yeah, it's tough. I think Philly would be more comfortable and easy to have fun in (so expensive for NYC). But it's hard to argue the draw of the powerhouse NY schools. Still, Penn and Jefferson are great places.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm bitter. Apparently Los Angeles isn't good enough to make the list. Entertainment capital of the world, next to the beach, great weather. ...

SF rules! Glad to see its #1 right now. :cool:

I wish there was a med school in Orlando.

MMSM: Mickey & Minnie's School of Medicine.

I wonder who would teach the classes.

Mickey - Gross
Donald - Patho?
Goofy - Histo?

How is Atl not on there! :mad: Grady hospital is one of the ghettoest hospitals in the country which gives med students great clinicals. Plus its Atl, you dont get much better than that for the party scene. Give some love to the Dirty South.

nyc hands down, altho i would say chicago is a close second...

Hello?!! How about Miami? No one can beat our weather or beaches. We should have made the list at least.:rolleyes:

defenetely NYC....although that city makes me mental after about two weeks stayin' there(too much rush...people don't know how to walk...they RUN)...but it is kind of love&hate situation(love it and hate it in one, and then when you leave with smile on your face two days later you want to go back there again)...i will be trying to get to school there!:D

Originally posted by pbehzad
How is Atl not on there!

Sorry, I had Atlanta on top five, but got pummeled for it, so I left it out of this thread. Without a doubt though, Atlanta rocks.

Seems like alot of people are missing the point. The poll is not "where are the best med schools?". If that were the case, I guess we could say 1.Baltimore, 2.Boston... ect...

Where is the fun? Where is it cheap to live a decent life as a student? Where can you meet people and see things?

In other words, where should they move the top schools to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why am I not getting more support for New Orleans? Dirt cheap to live well, every night is a party, always fun people to meet. Hell, the National Championship (you heard me) is in New Orleans TOMORROW night.
And, can you say Bourbon Street?

How could going to med school anywhere else compare?

What other city in the world gives you two Ivy league medical schools and one of the largest hospital mergers associated with those 2 Ivies??? New York Baby, nuy yawk

dude, its obvious,

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL AAAAAAAAAAA

The hottest ladies, snow in the moutains, beaches, tremendous ethnic diversity.

Did i mention hot ladies?

And the WEATHER! Oh how i miss it.

that leads me to think that maybe oahu is the best medical school city/state/island

If you're made of money, then any of those cities are awesome.

If you're not Houston or New Orleans.

None of the above?

I don't like huge cities. Traffic, crime, expensive, etc. I don't want to deal with all that and med school.

I hear you, man. I want to minimize external stress during med school--i.e., stress from putting up with traffic congestion, crime, pollution, the hectic pace of urban life, etc. Med school is going to be stressful enough. This is why I'm going to Ann Arbor. It's extremely safe. No traffic. It's the quintessential college town...plenty of cool bars and places to study (e.g., coffee shops). There's a huge student population there. The only drawback is the cold weather. The first winter up there is going to brutalize me. But hey, it'll be fun! It can't possibly be any worse than Texas during August!

Originally posted by peptidoglycan
Why am I not getting more support for New Orleans? Dirt cheap to live well, every night is a party, always fun people to meet. Hell, the National Championship (you heard me) is in New Orleans TOMORROW night.
And, can you say Bourbon Street?

How could going to med school anywhere else compare?

I vote Naalins! But I'm going to feel bitter if I get rejected post-interview.

Why aren't there any other West Coast cities on the list? What about Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle or maybe even Honolulu?

Go to say Miami. Never cold, beaches, parties, cheap, and plenty of nakes people.

I'm suprised that San Fran and NYC are tied right now. I've been to both at least 15 times (just about every summer in cali and NYC whenever I feel like it) but NYC is the city of all cities. When you leave San francisco you think "wow what a great city" but when you leave NYC it's so much more then a thought, it's a feeling. If you're past the tourist stage of NYC and you really get to know the city (which can be accomplished in a couple days if you walk) you will fall in love with it. Most of the crap I wrote in here is just mumbo-jumbo because NYC is beyond words. If you haven't figured it out yet I want to and NEED to go to an NY med school.

How did Philly even make the list? I didn't find anything particularly attractive about the city when I went there for an interview. It certainly doesn't seem like as nice a place to live as San Diego.

Umm, most of these suburbs everyone has been mentioning as alternatives (someone said a suburb of Chicago, someone else Ann Arbor, and so forth) are tied to the major city they are associated with.

As in all cases, it depends on the relative location of the med school within the metroplex. Just because a med school is downtown doesnt mean its going to be bad. Penn, Baylor, UTH, and Emory strike me as schools in big cities that are in nicer parts of town or (in the case of Penn) have created an oasis around the immediate campus.

Also remember, the farther from an urban area you are, the less of a patient population you are exposed to. Sorta a catch-22.

I dont think you can generalize though unless youve seen those schools.

Where the hell is New Haven?!? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(even I can't say it with a straight face, and I love NH :D)

I hate to add another "hey what about..." reply, but Hey, what about Montreal???? Montreal is truly hip, super affordable and just awesome in all ways except weather. McGill Med rocks too!!

I am thinking I may want to leave NYC to go to school. I usually feel this way on days when someone pisses me off on the subway.

Montreal is in Canada. Then you'd have to live in Canada. Enough said.

Why is Los Angeles not on the poll? It is a great place to live and to go to school. The traffic is hell, but L.A.'s got enough charm, so that can be overlooked :).

Originally posted by peptidoglycan
Montreal is in Canada. Then you'd have to live in Canada. Enough said.

I love America but from a few friends that go to McGill i hear that canadians are the socially/politically conscious form of Americans. The pictures they paint make Canada out to be a great place with great people. Also the drinking age is 18, which is what it should be (not just so young people can get drunk legally...but for other obvious reasons).

Well now that I know I will be in LA next year:

LOS ANGELES!!!!!

I am super excited to go back down :) Oh, how I miss the weather and the beaches (SF has beaches but they are nothing like LA beaches). I was never affected by the traffic when I was down there because I was mostly by school and when I drove, it was mostly off of the freeways. And I can't wait to be with all of my friends.

LA... but who would complain about going to ucsb med if it existed? hehe

Originally posted by t733nu5
LA... but who would complain about going to ucsb med if it existed? hehe

I am dying of laughter because of that quote you have in your sig line.