Best city in Texas to live in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best city to live in Texas?

• Austin

Votes: 67 54.0%
  • Dallas

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Houston

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • San Antonio

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Fantasy Sports

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious

Members don't see this ad.

this is a no brainer people.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, I thought that San Antonio was supposed to be a really nice city :confused:

Fantasy Sports said:
just curious

Houston: NFL, MLB, NBA

San Antonio: NBA

Dallas: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL

Austin: nothing

OSUdoc08 said:
Houston: NFL, MLB, NBA

San Antonio: NBA

Dallas: NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL

Austin: nothing

Yes, we all know the number of sporting franchises= best city to live in.

That's why so many people want to move to Dallas over San Francisco or LA :rolleyes:

But people are moving to Denver over LA and San Fancisco.......so what's your point?

More people moved out of CA the last few years than moved in.

Hallm_7 said:
But people are moving to Denver over LA and San Fancisco.......so what's your point?

More people moved out of CA the last few years than moved in.

They have earthquakes and schtuff....

OSUdoc08 said:
San Francisco and LA aren't in the poll, chach.

Yo reading comprehension dud: Im saying your logic is flawed (ie no one counts the number of sports teams when deciding where to move)

Also, we're already at 8 people who chose Austin. A little more than the "2 radicals on SDN" you mentioned, eh?

Yeah, should have been public. Come on people, Austin is the best city in the entire midwest hands down. It is beautiful, sunny almost year round, plenty of outdoors stuff to do, live music capitol, has politics, home to a great school (UT) and a very young town. It is tolerent of any type of lifestyle and there is always something to do. It has a very low crime rate and is a wealthy and nice place all around. Traffic isn't even bad, and their are plenty of jobs. how can anyone not see Austin in the best by a landslide.

Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, should have been public. Come on people, Austin is the best city in the entire midwest hands down. It is beautiful, sunny almost year round, plenty of outdoors stuff to do, live music capitol, has politics, home to a great school (UT) and a very young town. It is tolerent of any type of lifestyle and there is always something to do. It has a very low crime rate and is a wealthy and nice place all around. Traffic isn't even bad, and their are plenty of jobs. how can anyone not see Austin in the best by a landslide.

1. Too Liberal
2. No Pro Sports
3. Two Words: Texas Longhorns
4. Too much Country Music
5. Between Dallas and San Antonio: Why Stop?
6. Did I mention the Longhorns?
7. Beautiful? If you like flat land.

Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, should have been public. Come on people, Austin is the best city in the entire midwest hands down.

Austin... Midwest? :confused: :confused:

OSUdoc08 said:
1. Too Liberal
2. No Pro Sports

Didn't anyone ever tell you that anyone who lives north of the Red River is a yankee. Your a yankee sooner dandy :laugh: jk

Hook'em :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander Pink said:
Yeah, should have been public. Come on people, Austin is the best city in the entire midwest hands down.

Texas is either its own nation or in the south. No way, no how is Texas in the midwest.

That settled, my vote would go to Fort Worth. More of a real Texas city than Dallas, a better arts scene, none of the snootiness of Dallas, and lots of cool bars and good music. Good bar-b-q, too. Dallas is cool and all, but what's the point of living in Texas if you're going to blah it all down with Cosmpolitan sameness?

Then again, I'm partial to the real Texas. I guess parts of Forth Worth are touristy, though.

Austin is cool, but it's too liberal, is getting more and more expensive and congested, and is starting to yuppify. The bat bridge is definitely cool. Beautiful hill country. Seeing Beavo & Co.

I can say with certainty that the answer is not Houston, which has its upsides, but it really doesn't hold water here. San Antonio is definitely in the running.

i love austin. reasons:
1) good live music that is not just country
2) liberal bastion of texas
3) texas longhorns!
4) boyfriend
5) good tex mex
6) wide open, clear blue skies
7) 6th street
8) young, hip, collegey feel

oh gawd, im homesick for austin, and i grew up in college station! :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
internet surverys are disproportionate, since democrats are more likely to beg for money instead of get an education and a job.....they spend all of their time on the internet, wishing they were successful and that rich people would give them money for no effort

Yes, people who "beg" for money on street corners OBVIOUSLY spend all their time on the internet. You know, since they don't have a house or a car or even food, but they somehow manage to have a BLAZING FAST WIFI connection and computer? Think before you talk/write...

And I think its pretty hilarious that a DO is talking about how pre-allo/allo democrats wish we were "successful" and we give "no effort" :laugh:

Good one man. Enjoy Tulsa, because I sure as hell wouldn't

OSUdoc08 said:
1. Too Liberal
2. No Pro Sports

1. All the good cities/states are liberal:

New York, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Miami, Atlanta. Hmm, anyone have any idea why all the tourists seem to keep going to these LIBERAL cities. I guess something about conservative Tulsa/Jacksonville (if you follow football)/hicksville, USA just doesn't seem to fun.

2. Agreed

3. So you went to TAMU or Baylor or wherever else you went, so what?

4. Austin having more country music than Dallas or Tulsa? Gimme a break. Austin is indie music's second city, and 95% of it is NOT country. I dont think you've even been in the city. I think you're just making stuff up now.

7. Flat? This just adds to the list of things that prove you don't know what you're talking about. Austin is located in HILL COUNTRY. It thus has HILLs. Dallas is much flatter. I honestly think you're just making crap up now without having seen the city. Wow. Talk about ignorance.

Fantasy Sports said:
1. All the good cities/states are liberal:

New York, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Miami, Atlanta. Hmm, anyone have any idea why all the tourists seem to keep going to these LIBERAL cities. I guess something about conservative Tulsa/Jacksonville (if you follow football)/hicksville, USA just doesn't seem to fun.

To be fair, Orange County/San Diego kick the crap out of LA. Atlanta is hardly liberal. Add up its 4 counties and you find that Bush/Kerry are in a relative dead-heat (i.e. add up votes for Cobb, Gwinnett, Fulton, and Dekalb Counties). And I'll remind you that the reason that this is even close is that blacks overwhelmingly vote for Democrats, yet are far more socially conservative than the "liberal" tag you're wanting to place on these cities.

As for all the cool states, I think I'll take Colorado, Montana, Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, and Arizona over the whole northeast. But that's just me.

I just don't buy into these generalizations. Charleston, SC, for instance, is about as perfect a city as it comes in my book. Liberal? Hardly.

Dude, there are cool places to live just about everywhere and of all different persuasions.

Austin is really pretty, real hilly, good place to have a practice. Live out in Westlake or Bee Caves. Some nice areas around the University too (Townlake).

I also like SouthWest Houston though. Houston traffic sucks but the area around Rice Village and the Medical Center would be a cool place to live, its close to all the nice stuff in Houston.

San Antonio is aite, I cant get tired of the River Walk lol, nice place to eat. The clubs suck and everyone has diabetes.

Final Choice comes down to Austin (Im an ex-longhorn) or Houston (Tracy McGrady).

Austin, hands down. Lots of outdoor/nature activities, one of the fittest cities in America, ranked number one place in the US to find a date, intelligent residents, a healthy tech industry, the south by south west festival etc. etc. etc. The guy from Oklahoma is just mad because he doesn't live here.

Any of these choices are pretty sweet! I miss being in that area (I'm from OK and traveled to TX a lot, many of my friends are there). I'm glad I got to live in WA for awhile, but this has been long enough.

Coming from an OU student who is from Dallas, I'd have to say Austin. Thats was part of the appeal of UTMB, so I could do rotations in Austin. Anyone that has grown up in Texas and has taken summer road trips would agree they have many fond memories of the city.

While I didn't feel like UT was the school for me for undergrad, I have always loved Austin and visit frequently. Why you may ask?

1. Austin City Limits
2. S by SW
3. Barton Springs
4. Mexican Martinis
5. 6th street
6. Proximity to San Marcos and New Braunfels
7. The original Chuys
8. Live music capital of the world
9. Diversity, Houston and Dallas are really diverse but Austin has a higher concentration of people from everywhere in a much smaller proximity.
10. college girls, college girls, college girls, college girls, college girls oh and did I mention college girls?

San Antonio completely sucks!!!! At a glance, it seems like a city, but once you've lived here for a while, you realize that it's nothing but a big backwards a#$ town. The pay is horrible and there isn't much diversity(ie mostly Mexicans and White). It's also behind in many ways!!!

UT_mikie said:
Austin, hands down. Lots of outdoor/nature activities, one of the fittest cities in America, ranked number one place in the US to find a date, intelligent residents, a healthy tech industry, the south by south west festival etc. etc. etc. The guy from Oklahoma is just mad because he doesn't live here.

I'm from Dallas. Not Oklahoma.

If we look at this from the POV of going to medical school in one of those four cities than three of them win out: Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston.

Austin immedately loses out becuase they have no medical schools in that town.

Now, I've spent 4 days in one of those three remaining towns (Houston) and live in one of them (Dallas). Dallas may not have the nightlife of Austin, but it has more restruants than any other city in the United States, and lets face it when you get out of a Mavericks, Cowboys, Desparados, Burn or Stars game (I'm still hoping for the Hockey lock-out to come to an end by the drop dead date) you want to eat some good food and nothing that they serve at the Arena can compare to some of the downtown restraunts. Dallas, also has a good medical school for people that want to get a MD/PHD degree as well as a local Physican Assistant, Medical Technology, Physical Therapy and numerous other non-Physican related courses at the school. We also have a decent amout of hospitals Including at least two Level 1 trauma centers, and one of the busyist ERs in the country. Plus, Presbyterian Hospital was named one of the best places to have a baby by US News and World Report (I believe).

Houston on the other hand is a good town if you can look past the traffic, emissions and sprawl. It has the heart of the U.S. Space Agency, and some of the finest Art Museums that I have been to in quite a long time. It has some of the finest hospitals along the coast of Texas, including a teaching hospital that was featured in a ABC Mini series not to long ago, and it has two medical schools (UT Houston and Baylor medical schools).

San Antonio I can't say that much about other than it has a medical school and is just a few hours south of Austin.

Odessa, Beaumont, and Jasper all rock nads over the poll choices.

I guess houston's getting no love but i like it here anyways :)

I went to Dallas, TX a few years ago, it was an interesting trip.

I thought the stereotype of Texans dressing up like cowboys was just that: a bad charicature on TV. But it's not. Upon landing at the DFW airport, at least half the men there were wearing ten-gallon hats and knee high cowboy boots. It was ridiculous.

Almost everyone on the road had a pickup truck. It rained every day we were there, but later I found out that this was unusual for Dallas. The smog was extremely thick, this unfortunatly was pretty typical from what the locals told us. My Mom wanted to see the ranch where they filmed the TV show "Dallas", it was underwhelming. Dallas had more fat people than I've seen anywhere else in my life. We stayed in the posh Northern part of town near the upscale Galleria mall. All the women shopping at this mall had bleached blonde hair and were wearing short shorts that showed off their cottage cheese thighs. :eek:

After that we drove through Austin. I did not explore this town, although it seemed to have less squalor than Dallas.

San Antonio had a lively downtown area, but the canal smelled quite foul. I made a pilgrimmage to the Alamo, but only because Ozzie Osborne had peed on it. :laugh:

I did not get to see Houston, but I have not heard too many nice things about it from friends who formerly lived there. I imagine it as a flat, hot, humid hellish place dominated by 12 lane roads with many fat people who work in oil refineries.

So to answer your question, I would say none of the above. I would prefer not to go back to Texas, but someone was telling me that El Paso has some nice views of the mountains and some white water rafting nearby, so I may have to check that out at some point.

hook'em

austin is great cuz
1) its liberal and not like the rest of texas
2) tex mex - chuys, trudys, etc
3) the cadillac at the county line
4) gay area, warehouse district, 6th st
5) amys ice cream
6) nice people
7) beautiful mountains and lakes

I've never been to Austin, but I imagine it's like most other liberal college cities like Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, etc......everyone in college thinks it's great but as students graduate, get older and wiser, and enter the real world they realize that at some point you have to make a living, raise a family, and face reality. Once that happens then Austin loses its appeal.

Someone before said Atlanta was liberal.......what in the world are you thinking? Have you ever been to Atlanta? Also, half of LA (Orange County) is one of the most conservative areas in the country.

Austin doesn't have many good restaurants. I have not found a palatable Italian restaurant here. I'm sorry but Olive Garden isn't doing it for me. Chuy's is overrrated. I like Trudy's though. Also I agree with the Yuppification statement. Any who's lived here over the past ten years has witnessed the change. Austin has a hippie/liberal reputation that is no longer consistent with the reality of the situation. I hate MoPac traffic too.

I have just always thought of Austin as a second-rate city that desires to be considered a major city (like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio). but will simply not step up. Sports teams? How about the Austin Icebats? Major highways? Oh, we have 2. Theaters, museums? Don't ask.

Austin is a great city for people that can appreciate it. I've been here 13 years and am just ready for a change (Houston).

Hallm_7 said:
I've never been to Austin, but I imagine it's like most other liberal college cities like Ann Arbor, Charlottesville, etc......everyone in college thinks it's great but as students graduate, get older and wiser, and enter the real world they realize that at some point you have to make a living, raise a family, and face reality. Once that happens then Austin loses its appeal.

Uhm, no, in that respect Austin is *not* like every other college town.

Actually, the population of Austin more than doubled in the last 15 years primarily because people enjoy living there. Companies like Dell and NI base their operations in Austin because their employees like living in the diverse and scenic city (okay, so the "hill country" is more outside of Austin, but it's a short drive). In addition, families know they can send their children to safe primary schools for a great education.

If you ever get a chance to actually visit Austin, you could see that Austin is very much part of the "real world."

I miss the BATS in Austin - they ate all of the bugs. :(

(now that I moved to Houston and get attacked by mosquitos).

San Antonio does definitely rock! I spent a lot of time there going through various military training schools. River walk is great, Alamo area is great, the festival they have is awesome. Very wonderful mix of Anglo and Hispanic culture. I love Mi Tierra restaurant!

San Antonio is one of my most desired locations if I get to be a military doctor like I hope to be.

MoosePilot said:
San Antonio does definitely rock! I spent a lot of time there going through various military training schools. River walk is great, Alamo area is great, the festival they have is awesome. Very wonderful mix of Anglo and Hispanic culture. I love Mi Tierra restaurant!

San Antonio is one of my most desired locations if I get to be a military doctor like I hope to be.

Mi Tierra rocks and I wear the T-shirt up here in Mass. I will be there a week from Saturday.

G0S2 said:
Mi Tierra rocks and I wear the T-shirt up here in Mass. I will be there a week from Saturday.
That's funny. Dizzydog and I will be up in SA that weekend too. :cool:

EvoDevo said:
That's funny. Dizzydog and I will be up in SA that weekend too. :cool:

I will get down there Friday night with my girlfriend and hit Mi Tierra on Sat night. Off to Tulum Mexico on Monday for some sun and fun. Screw the thesis for that week!!!!

G0S2 said:
I will get down there Friday night with my girlfriend and hit Mi Tierra on Sat night. Off to Tulum Mexico on Monday for some sun and fun. Screw the thesis for that week!!!!
w00t! HOLLA.

Have fun man!

fotolilith said:
Uhm, no, in that respect Austin is *not* like every other college town.

Actually, the population of Austin more than doubled in the last 15 years primarily because people enjoy living there. Companies like Dell and NI base their operations in Austin because their employees like living in the diverse and scenic city (okay, so the "hill country" is more outside of Austin, but it's a short drive). In addition, families know they can send their children to safe primary schools for a great education.

If you ever get a chance to actually visit Austin, you could see that Austin is very much part of the "real world."

you just have to got a few miles from downtown to see the hills...hell you can even see them from downtown...out there on the western horizon...man I miss austin, my home for 22 years. And also austin is the home of the new real world, as in the TV show. And yeah austin isn't a college town, I know lots of people (including my dad) who came for UT but knew almost immediately they'd live the rest of their lives there. man...now I'm getting homesick...stupid dallas...its like the anti-austin.

BenYossarian said:
you just have to got a few miles from downtown to see the hills...hell you can even see them from downtown...out there on the western horizon...man I miss austin, my home for 22 years. And also austin is the home of the new real world, as in the TV show. And yeah austin isn't a college town, I know lots of people (including my dad) who came for UT but knew almost immediately they'd live the rest of their lives there. man...now I'm getting homesick...stupid dallas...its like the anti-austin.

Dallas is da bomb......go Mavs

But yes, Dallas & Houston have the 2 best medical schools in the state.

G0S2 said:

Tell me what you have for dinner so I can drool :D

G0S2 said:
San Antonio is better than this people!!!!!!!!!

It's better than Dallas, at least. ;-P

BenYossarian said:

There's a movie about people who go to Austin and never leave... it's called "Slacker" & my dad made me watch it before I moved there... nearly made me want to reject my acceptance to UT. ;-)

I keeeeeed. But it's a pretty freaky movie... all I really remember is something about selling "Madonna's pap smear."

G0S2 said:
Yep. I was accepted to UTSW for grad school but just didn't like the Dallas-FW area.

Smart. :thumbup:

why are so many people hating on austin. woowoo.