Best City to live in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the best city to live in during residency?

• Total voters

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best city to live in during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

What about New Orleans? Talk about a fun time in residency... :D

So what are the others????

Best city to live in or best city to do residency in ~ I think there's a big difference.

This is silly. There's a whole lot more places out there than the ones on the list. Everyone's opinion is going to be different anyway.

have to agree with New Orleans. there's always something going on. Las Vegas would be good too (though programs there aren't so good...)

fuzzyerin said:
Best city to live in or best city to do residency in ~ I think there's a big difference.

Re-read the question... it's not a trick! You must be going into medicine if you're that analytical about a simple question.

fourthyearmed said:
This is silly. There's a whole lot more places out there than the ones on the list. Everyone's opinion is going to be different anyway.

Dude... what's up with people having a pole up their butt in here... Did you really think I thought the United States only consisted of 14 cities??? It's just a poll for fun, I'm not doing cutting edge research on the issue. Chill out a little bit kid.

waterski232002 said:
Re-read the question... it's not a trick! You must be going into medicine if you're that analytical about a simple question.

I'm just saying there's a difference. In my opinion, living in NYC is the best experience I've ever had for the last two years, and I think living here during residency would be awesome, but I don't want to train at any of the NYC hospitals for a variety of reasons. So there is a difference, at least to me.

How about Ft. Lauderdale, FL? It is truly a great place to be.

Best place to do both residency and live. Hands down as far as I am concerned.

fuzzyerin said:
I'm just saying there's a difference. In my opinion, living in NYC is the best experience I've ever had for the last two years, and I think living here during residency would be awesome, but I don't want to train at any of the NYC hospitals for a variety of reasons. So there is a difference, at least to me.

Point taken...

I was merely asking what the best city to live in during residency was... NOT what city has the best residency programs or total package.

Check out http://bestplaces.net/default.aspx

This lets you learn about cities and see whats best for you!!!

Im from Miami and I love warm weather but people I know love to ski and love seasons? So is Miami better than Denver? Obviously this is a personal decision. My answer.... miami best looking women in the US hands DOWN!!

Definitely should have added Honolulu to the list

Funny the nations 5th largest city wasn't up there. Phoenix, AZ, a true paradise
Everything So Cal has to offer without the smog, crime, expensive housing, traffic, overpopulation and the ....beach...Hey but when Vegas, San Diego, LA and Rocky Point are a few hours away by car....a beach isn't so important now is it. :)

yaah said:
How can you have that avatar and not put ann arbor? :mad:
cuz Ann Arbor is NOT a city. nor does it even come close to being a city. it's a township.

NYC is an *amazing* place to do residency in. (and there are *tons* of great programs... NYU, Cornell, Columbia, etc etc).

Often programs have subsidized housing. You can live here very well and its a great place to live for a few years.

wouldn't want to *live, live* here. but for a few years, you can't beat it.

I didn't even see Rochester, MN listed on the survey. As if it isn't the greatest city in the country, you are only about 50 miles from the SPAM museum. You guys have to get your priorities straight.

What about Honolulu, Hawaii? Can't be such a bad place to do residency?