best clinical neuropsychology phd programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S3IZURE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i'm just wondering what the best clinical neuropsychology phd programs are and how I can find them? I know I'll have to go to a clinical psychology program first and then specialize after, but are there some schools that are better known for the neuropsychology? or are their neuropsych tracts? I want to make sure I do all of my research before applying next year so if anyone can explain this to me and give me a heads up on where to look or what programs are the best, I would very much appreciate it.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Too many to name really. Off top of my head San Diego state/UC-San Diego joint, University of Houston, UConn, Kentucky, Florida, Cincinnati, South Florida.

Second erg, too many to list. Depends on your research interests really. Also, if you're going clinical or academic.

Also, letter writers are key on this one given that NPsych is a smaller community. I had a big name write me a letter and it was mentioned by everyone who interviewed me for postdocs. He wasn't an acaemic faculty at the time, so you also want to consider the people and places who will train you at practicum/externship sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Much like Justice Potter Stewart...."[We] know it when [we] see it." All of the programs listed are quality programs, and there are probably a half dozen more that could also make the list. One of the most important factors in "best" relates to student fit: for research area, ability to maximize mentorship, access to resources, etc.

Go with research interests and narrow it down there. TBI? Dementia? Psychiatric illness? There are fewer schools that are entire "programs" and more with 1-2 labs that specialize in a topic pertinent to neuropsychology. The best have PIs who are renowned in the field. You could look up associate editors of some of the neuropsychology journals and see which ones are in academia to start.

thanks all! yes i'm mostly interested in psychiatric illness so are there any specific ones that you guys know are best for this? i will look up the others you mentioned as well and thanks for all the advice

thanks all! yes i'm mostly interested in psychiatric illness so are there any specific ones that you guys know are best for this? i will look up the others you mentioned as well and thanks for all the advice

Psychiatric illness is a broad term in itself, but rarer diseases like Schizophrenia are hard to study in small towns due to low base rates.

yes you are right sorry. currently i've been doing research with SZ for 3 years now, looking to either continue that or work with other severe populations (dementia, alzheimers, parkinsons, etc)

yes you are right sorry. currently i've been doing research with SZ for 3 years now, looking to either continue that or work with other severe populations (dementia, alzheimers, parkinsons, etc)

I wouldn't worry about getting experience with Alzheimer's. I can't imagine you'll get through a grad program, practicum experiences, internship, and postdoc without doing a good deal of dementia evals.