Best clinicals experience, DMU, NOVA, Touro-NV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redman

redman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which school would provide the best 3rd & 4th year education? Also, how much or how little does the choice of school affect your chances of getting your top residency?

I am trying to decide which school to attend. Ideally, I would like to stay in the same place for both years.

I know a lot of it depends on the individual, but certainly the school must have some influence.

Any advice would be help and very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

redman said:
Ideally, I would like to stay in the same place for both years.

I believe at NSU, you have the possibility of being transplanted somewhere else during your 3rd and 4th year such as Orlando, Tampa, Miami, or Lauderdale. They don't have their own hospital yet.

betz said:
I believe at NSU, you have the possibility of being transplanted somewhere else during your 3rd and 4th year such as Orlando, Tampa, Miami, or Lauderdale. They don't have their own hospital yet.

Nova doesn't have its own hospital "yet," but even if it is built students will still be doing rotations at all of its clinical sites. About 12 students go to Orlando, 12 go to Tampa, and 12 go to West Palm Beach. The remainder of the class (~200) will be in Broward or Miami-Dade counties, at Broward General, Memorial Regional, Mount Sinai/Miami Heart, or Palmetto General. The Orlando and Tampa spots are VERY popular, so the only way you could be transplanted there is if you rank it high on your lottery.

Members don't see this ad :)
The nice thing about NSU I believe is, if you choose, you can do all your 3rd & 4th years locally, within driving distance.

Im not sure if that is the case at DMU. I know when we interviewed, we were told that if we wanted to stay in des moines for 3rd year, most likely it would be possible. However, im not sure about the 4th year?

If anyone has clinical experience from either school, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

redman said:
Im not sure if that is the case at DMU. I know when we interviewed, we were told that if we wanted to stay in des moines for 3rd year, most likely it would be possible. However, im not sure about the 4th year?

The school was being honest when saying that you could probably spend your 3rd year mostly in DM. For fourth year I think it would be possible to spend the entire year in DM. We have very few requirements fourth year, so I think that everything could be taken care of in DM, if that is what you want.

I have several freinds who have stayed in DM for their entire 3rd year. More common is you stay in DM for all accept 1 or 2 months that you go elsewhere. DMU also does not have its own hospital, but is affiliated with a few hospitals in the area, where you can get your major requirements done. Electives can be a bit more difficult, especially peds and OB, but the clinical affairs dept. is working to get more spots in DM.

Other options include staying in Ohio or Michigan for the third and fourth years, as there are several osteopathic hospitals that you can complete all your clinicals at.

As far as residencies judging you for the school you go to...I doubt that happens...more dependent on class rank, board scores, LOR, etc.

redman said:

It is possible to do most of 3rd year and 4th year in DM. I'm a 3rd right now, and have several friends that are doing all of their rotations in DM. More common is to do most in DM and spend a couple of months elsewhere.

DMU does not have its own hospital either, but works with a couple of local hospitals to get students rotations. Other options are going to Michigan, Ohio, or Pennsylvania for all of third and fourth year, as there are several osteopathic hospitals that you can complete your clinicals at.

As far as residency programs judging you for which school you go to...I don't think that happens...I think that it is more dependent on board scores, class rank, LOR, etc. Also, it is a good idea to do rotations at places that you want a residency, so maybe that should play into your school considerations as well.

wow...sorry, my internet was on the blink and I replied twice...

I graduated from NSU in 2003, so my info may be old. But generally if you want to stay in teh Fort Lauderdale/miami area (whcih is where 99% of most M1s and M2s live), then you can, easily. So you wont' have to move during M3 year. However, if you want to go out to Orlando or Tampa, its definately an option.

M4 year is basically "whatever you want to do" so if you want to spend it in St. Paul Minnesota doing electives, you can. And you set it up. Its nice.

M4 year is the best year, uhm, ever, except for senior year of college. Now THAT was a good year!

Q

It seems that there some slightly conflicting reports about desirability of rotation sites for NSUCOM students. Could any of the above posters clarify this with which sites are generally most/least popular among students when they rank their preferences, and for what reason (ie - better clinical experience, better chance of LOR's from physicians, etc)?

Thanks.

It seems that there some slightly conflicting reports about desirability of rotation sites for NSUCOM students. Could any of the above posters clarify this with which sites are generally most/least popular among students when they rank their preferences, and for what reason (ie - better clinical experience, better chance of LOR's from physicians, etc)?

Thanks.
Don't think there's muhc of a difference. I rotated at Suncoast, so how can I compare it to Broward or Palm Beach, if I have never been there?

I don't think it will affect your competitiveness as an applicant at all, where you pick. Go with where you want to live for two years, that's my opinion!

Q

That's very true...I just meant if any NSUCOMers (before having to rank their preferences) had heard from previous classes or thru the grapevine, of which rotation sites had seemed more desirable than others, for whatever reason.

You cannot outright say which rotations are preferred. It changes every year. My class could not wait to leave the area. Many transferred out to other schools (about 7-8 students), others went to Orlando, Tampa, Ft Myers (no longer offered). Those were the top choices in my year. The year before, they were the bottom choices. I was told by admin that it goes back and forth every year. You can file some kind of form with one of the docs in charge of this if you are extremely unhappy with where you ended up. If you can show a mortgage slip or family, you are bound to win your choice.

which rotation sites tend to be of the best quality for nsu MS3s?