Best content review book fro physics for someone struggling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyflgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took physics 1 and 2 approximately year and a half ago and I took it online with in class exams. i honestly didn't pay much attention to it I would only cram before exams and managed to get B and B+ (It could have been better I know) With a full time job and another 5 classes B seemed pretty decent. I am now reviewing content for the MCAT which I plan to take June 29 and I find myself having a very hard time with physics. I started studying with Kaplan and as I started reading it all made sense but half way through the chapter I always started to realize that I wasn't really understanding much. I thought it was Kaplan that was very complicated so I ordered TBR physics and same thing very good at the beginning and half way through the chapter I freak out and go blank (no information is absorbed from that point on). Please help! I have been spending a lot of time with physics sometimes even 3 days in a chapter and my time is limited. Which book makes it easier to review without including unnecessary details since I have heard that physics is not very heavily tested in the MCAT. Any other resources I can use besides those books and Khan? I also bought clutch for MCAT but have not used it yet. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Physics can very well be heavily tested on your MCAT. There's really no way of knowing. I suggest figuring out what your weakest areas are and start there. Kaplan books and Khan are all I have needed. Just make sure you understand processes and relationships. Don't worry so much about memorizing equations (except for the ones listed in the official guide). Also, keep in mind that you cannot use a calculator on the exam. Some of Kaplan's questions would be highly unreasonable on the actual MCAT. I've been using the AAMC section banks and my full lengths to better understand the styles of questions that may be on the test.

Also, kinematics, fluids, optics, radioactive decay, and circuits would be some great things to master above all else if you were pressed for time.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two things you can do. Learn more physics and learn how to better approach questions. I suggest you do both.

Be sure to do a lot of physics problems. If you miss a question figure out why and learn it so you get it right next time. This will increase your physics knowledge.

Second, generate the knowledge required to answer a question before you select or read an answer. This will serve you well in medical school tests as well.

Princeton review physics book was more helpful for me than any other review book including Berkeley review and Kaplan. ( yes, I bought all 3 and read through all 3 cause I suck at physics. )

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Princeton review physics book was more helpful for me than any other review book including Berkeley review and Kaplan. ( yes, I bought all 3 and read through all 3 cause I suck at physics. )

Do the Princeton Review physics books have good problems and solutions? I am finding I need to practice. I dumped kaplan. I hate their end of chapter physics quizzes. they are not realistic. and the books are zero help as they don't explain enough for me. . I use kahn all the time now and i'm running out of time. I am spending so much time on physics. like 5 days a week... 8 hrs a day watching videos. Did Princeton help you by practice problems and good solutions or is it just outlined in a way that made it easier to understand? what exactly did you like about Princeton over the others? Thank you!

I would say go with EK. They have tons of questions within the text and have in-class exams (passage based questions) at the end of the book. In addition, use EK 1001 or EK 101 passages for physics for extra help and solidification of the content. Use Kaplan, TBR, your old physics notes, or youtube as supplemental.

Reactions: 1 users
TBR is the overall best IMHO. They have clever shortcuts for things like optics, circuits, and so forth, and their passages are the best anywhere, besides AAMC.

yeah! PR has one practice passage +at free standing questions at end of each chapter.

I didn't really do any of the end of chapter Princeton review passages. I'm saving them for chapter weaknesses when I am taking full lengths.
I am however doing the Princeton review hyperlearning passages and they are helping a lot.

for me, I really enjoyed the layout of Princeton review physics book. it was very easy to follow and understand and had questions and problems within the chapter too to make sure you are understanding the concepts.

Berkeley review was too detailed and boring/colorless for me to fully pay attention and want to read it. Also I found that Berkeley review passages to be simple to follow and more geared towards old mcat.

kaplan showed very few examples compared to Princeton review and was a harder read for me. also no practice passages. I believe they focused too much on calculations rather than drilling the concepts

examkrackers was too simplified however they have pretty good end of chapter tests.

Reactions: 1 users