best D.O. EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

I posted this in a thread on the residency/rotations area but to no avail...
so which osteopathic EM residency is considered to be the best and why? and no, I am not looking for "go to an allopathic EM residency". thanx

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, I must say that the osteopathic EM residency at St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY is very good. There has been a recent $5 million dollar renovation and expansion, Level 1 trauma center, and a new pedicatric ER. They take 15 new EM DO residents each year who experience the best the Bronx has to offer: lots of trauma, gsw's, mva's, etc., etc... I know you are in Oregon, but if you are interested in a program with lots to offer in a big city, look up St. Barny's.

I don't have much knowledge firsthand but the CCOM emergency med program seems to be popular. You get to work at inner city ER's in chicago and therefore you'll see a lot of pathology. Also, they have an IM/ER program as well. I think they have about 10 ER spots and 3 IM/ER ones. Whatever program you look at I personally think the ones in big cities are where you are going to learn the most. As everyone knows, ER's in the suburbs don't have much going on. Probably because most people have primary care doctors as opposed to the underserved/low socioeconomic people in major urban areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
pags

Would NYCOM students have an advantage matching to that St. Barnabas spot? I think it is one of their clinical affiliations.

In general, do students have an easier time matching to residency spots if they have been through that hospital on rotations or if their medical school is affiliated with the hospital?

The head of the E.R. residency program at St. Barnabas came and spoke at COMP and highly recommended doing a rotation at the hospital you are interested in doing a residency at. Even if you don't do an ER rotation there, you should drop by the residency director's office and express your interest to them and see if they will allow you to spend some time there after your normal shift is done. The reason for this was that this allows them to meet you and become familiar with you. He stated they get around 100 applications in a given year, and they will be less likely to take you if they haven't seen your face before.

JP Hazelton:

St. Barny's is a part of the NYCOMEC experience, if you will. As for NYCOM students having an advantage for acceptance, I'm not so convinced. I must agree with SammyK in that doing an EM rotation there, or at least showing your face around the department, is more crucial than just being a NYCOM student. So, the answer to your second question is quite simply, yes.
;)

Well, you must ask yourselves some questions:
1. How many attendings
2. Are the attendings BC EM Physicians (a must)
3. What is the research going on there.
4. How many trauma patients (blunt or penetrating)
5. Where did the attendings train...is there inbreeding
6. What is the attending to resident ratio?
7. Where do the residents go after training?
8. What is the national reputation?
9. How do they do their peds EM training?
10. How happy are the residents?
11. Fellowship opportunities?
12. Could you live there?

These are things that are discussed AT GREAT LENGTH on the www.saem.org page and the EMRA web pages.

Another question...is a 4 year DO EM residency worth it vs. 3 year allopathic?