Best day to cold call doctors' offices to ask about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need to find shadowing experience soon and was planning on cold calling a bunch of doctors' offices to ask about shadowing, but I realized Friday might not be the best day to call since the weekend is coming up and they might forget about it. Should I do it today anyways, or should I wait until Monday? What's the best day to call? And any pointers for a premed looking for doctors to shadow? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

also, I am about to start shadowing. Are you expected to know anything? What kind of things does the doctor make you do? Or do you just stand in the corner mainly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would guess Tuesday. No one is happy on Mondays, and Tuesday is early enough in the week that the doctors aren't weary from a tough week of work.

also, I am about to start shadowing. Are you expected to know anything? What kind of things does the doctor make you do? Or do you just stand in the corner mainly?

You aren't expected to know anything. All you really do is stand their quietly. Do not speak unless spoken to while the doctor is with a patient. Depending on who you are shadowing you might have to participate in some brainless little things that the doctor needs an extra set of hands for, but nothing to stress over.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Mondays are busy from people needing in from last the previous week and Monday's. Fridays are busy from people trying to get in before the weekend.

agreed -- cold calling is really not what you should be doing

Dont cold call. Find their fax number (via healthgrades.com or call office), write a brief paragraph (6 to 10 lines) starting with looking for shadowing, currently a student with GPA, achievements, etc. fax it over Wait a day or 2 (but no longer) then call to followup and if he/she is not available, ask when would be a good time to call . If then dont call you back, make another call in 2 days, and perhaps one more try. if no response, move on. Keep an list of who you faxed, when you called.

If you really want to be proactive, find out where the doc graduated medical school (just put name in to google and "healthgrades.com" or other site will come back with info). Tell them that your interested in that medical school or etc

I got 2 shadowing gigs from cold calling. Usually they put you through to the office manager and you'll chat with them about how many hours you need, your interests, what days are available, etc. Then the office manager asks the doctors and gets back to you. I ended up writing a short letter of interest for both of them.

What's the best day to call?
Never.

And any pointers for a premed looking for doctors to shadow? Thanks.
Try checking out your undergraduate school's alumni directory. My alma mater has a directory that allows you to search for alumni based on occupation and location, and that also lists each person's respective e-mail address. I sent an e-mail to a bunch of alumni (keep in mind that some might not respond and others might have invalid e-mails listed) that stated I was a student at X University and was wondering if I could come shadow them. Worked great!

There is no best time. No doctor wants to be bothered. Think about it, if some random HS kid kept calling you asking to shadow you for a day, would you like it? I'd tell the kid to get lost.

Dont cold call. Find their fax number (via healthgrades.com or call office), write a brief paragraph (6 to 10 lines) starting with looking for shadowing, currently a student with GPA, achievements, etc. fax it over Wait a day or 2 (but no longer) then call to followup and if he/she is not available, ask when would be a good time to call . If then dont call you back, make another call in 2 days, and perhaps one more try. if no response, move on. Keep an list of who you faxed, when you called.

If you really want to be proactive, find out where the doc graduated medical school (just put name in to google and "healthgrades.com" or other site will come back with info). Tell them that your interested in that medical school or etc

I second this. Back in December I faxed a cover letter and a resume, 2 pages total, to two different places. Oh yeah, 1-2 days later, both call me and we set up an appointment.

Fax:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any day is fine, but be prepared to call 8-10 offices before you finally get some positive news.

Must be regional because I've always only called. I try to get that personal aspect right away. I figure if they can't call back, or at least can't have a Ma/nurse call, I don't really want to shadow them anyway.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the first point of contact when calling a doctor's office is the receptionist or office manager. What's the best way to talk to them so that they will remember and actually tell the doctor that a student called?

I second this. Back in December I faxed a cover letter and a resume, 2 pages total, to two different places. Oh yeah, 1-2 days later, both call me and we set up an appointment.

Fax:thumbup:

Cover letter and a resume? :laugh:

I'm guessing the first point of contact when calling a doctor's office is the receptionist or office manager. What's the best way to talk to them so that they will remember and actually tell the doctor that a student called?

Honestly, sugary sweet. I've never had a problem. I just call, introduce myself, explain why I am calling, throw a joke in here or there, leave my information and I'm good. Give them a bit of your excitement and they are more likely to remember. Also, remember who you gave the information to, that way when you follow up you know whom you talked to previously (name drop) and WHEN you land that job shadow, you can remember who passed on the information.

Any idea about what the best time of the day would be to call? Morning? Afternoon?

Doctors seem to like pre-med students shadowing them. We keep them company. Not to mention, many of them have residents and med students who shadow them all the time.

Doctors seem to like pre-med students shadowing them. We keep them company. Not to mention, many of them have residents and med students who shadow them all the time.
Anyone have any experience emailing doctors directly? Would it be possible to shadow a hospitalist or would a private clinician be a safer bet?

I find some of this odd. I'm not against faxing, but I've shadowed 10 physicians and dentists and have always either initially called or just simply walked into the office during regular hours. Chatted with patients if I had to wait. I stated my interest to the doc and have never been rejected.

Maybe it's a geographical thing. I'm from the South (Ga), but faxing seems way too formal. It's not a business interview. Meet the doctor with a jovial attitude and relax. Ask him/her anything-even unrelated to medicine-got some great lor's like this.

Good luck!

Note: I understand that it may be competitive to find docs to shadow in other places (like California)- I was blessed to not have any of this, so take that into acct

Last edited:
Call on Thursday - most likely the receptionist will answer and all the receptionists I know are young pretty women who like to party on the weekend.

If you call on Friday, she will blow you off because she is looking forward to partying. But if you on Thursday, she will focused enough to pay attention and happy enough to carry through with your requests.