Best dental school in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chomper

I heart dentistry
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got accepted to every dental school in CA, which one would you choose? Why? How'd you rank them?

For me:
UoP is the best private school
UCLA is the best public school
UCSF
USC
Loma Linda

Members don't see this ad.

If you got accepted to every dental school in CA, which one would you choose? Why? How'd you rank them?

For me:
UoP is the best private school
UCLA is the best public school
UCSF
USC
Loma Linda

UOP

UCLA
UCSF
UOP
Loma Linda
USC

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what you want to do. UOP is better if you want to go GP, but UCSF if you want to specialize. Then I've been hearing mixed things sbout USC. They do have a great name, but I've heard that they had a low percentage of their students pass the boards. Has anyone else heard of this?

Anyway...
1 - UOP
2 - UCLA
3 - UCSF
4 - USC
5 - Loma Linda

What are some of the reasons why many people prefer UCLA to UCSF? I've only interviewed at the latter, still hoping for an invite to the former, so I'd love to hear others' thoughts :)

What are some of the reasons why many people prefer UCLA to UCSF?

I think UCSF has an arrogant attitude. Plus UCLA has better weather.

I think UCSF has an arrogant attitude. Plus UCLA has better weather.

I much prefer SF weather to LA.. but then again im from NY..

UCSF is nowhere near arrogant. They are so chill. I loved them!

It's just my opinion. When I went there to check out the school with a pre-dent group, they said California schools are very competitive, especially UCSF, so don't be afraid to apply out of state. I got the impression they were saying we weren't good enough to get into their school. I think part of why I think UCSF is arrogant is b/c of UOP. They are so welcoming and tell you what they like to see in applicants and how you can improve for application. Not "apply out of state."

It's just my opinion. When I went there to check out the school with a pre-dent group, they said California schools are very competitive, especially UCSF, so don't be afraid to apply out of state. I got the impression they were saying we weren't good enough to get into their school. I think part of why I think UCSF is arrogant is b/c of UOP. They are so welcoming and tell you what they like to see in applicants and how you can improve for application. Not "apply out of state."

UoP also rocks. They've basically been the only school that's sung my praises and begged me to come there.

schools up north. i'm getting sick of southern cali's warm weather.

i think uop's great clinical...plus dean of admissions is awesome.

ucla and ucsf great research and cheap, but i have friends that go there are say it's miserable in terms of academics...really tough

loma linda...good clinical, good school if you don't mind the religious aspect

and usc, well what can i say about usc...awesome undergrad school, dental school is for some but not others, if you like working on your own, then you'll like usc. students have a good time there.

ucla and ucsf great research and cheap, but i have friends that go there are say it's miserable in terms of academics...really tough

I go to UCLA. It's an awesome school. :)

UoP. UCSF is the bastard child of the three year program. Let me repeat...THREE YEARS.

UoP FTW.

UoP. UCSF is the bastard child of the three year program. Let me repeat...THREE YEARS.

UoP FTW.

It's three years of balls-to-the-wall schooling. Or you could have a nice, leisurely experience at UCSF. ISO time, anyone?

i haven't been to other schools but UCSF was awesome!!!!

UCLA/UCSF, both are great schools.
UoP, three year and good clinical.
USC, free time and networking.
LL, i don't like the religious thing.

Ok you people need stats:

For the past three years USC has had the lowest rate of passing the CA licensure board.

UCSF is the most research-based program in CA just by judging their amount of publication.

UCLA is a basement.

#1 UoP - happy students, good clinical
#2 UCLA - easy to specialize after...but I really don't want to live in LA and they have trouble getting patients
#3 UCSF - seems like a good school, it should probably be my second, but it just doesn't interest me for some reason
#4 USC - they do bad on boards and yet the school charges a gazillion dollars
#5 LL - Personally, even getting charged a gazillion dollars and risk failing boards is better than being at a religious school (my dad is a pastor, I've got issues :laugh: )