Best dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANUG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where's the best place to do a PhD in dentistry?
I know a couple of people who did theirs at Havard. Is Havard just a name value or is it really ahead of other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think any schools offer PhDs in dentistry.... there are some dental schools that offer PhDs in oral health or oral medicine but other than that i dont know much about the programs.

There are no PhD's in "dentistry" as far as I know. But there are many dental schools that offer PhD's in areas such as Oral Biology, or in conjunction with residency programs like Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology...

Members don't see this ad :)
well, unlike DDS/DMD degrees, i think the school on your PhD diploma does matter. when you enter the realm of academia, the Harvard name will carry some serious weight.

I know a couple of people who did theirs at Havard. Is Havard just a name value or is it really ahead of other schools?

No, the name on the school doesn't really matter...

What matters is what dangles between your legs- even in the world of academia.

As long as your PhD, or other degrees don't come from an "online university" you will be fine.

Dental Schools are HURTING SOOOOO BAD for faculty they could care less where you got your PhD from. All they care about is whether you have the capacity to do research, bring in research $$$ and can help teach the dental students.

I believe Maryland has a 6 year program that's a combined PhD/DDS.

If you go to Harvard, just make sure you spell it correctly when you get your degree....
I know Michigan has a DDS/PhD program too, I think it is 6 or 7 years. Also I know a guy who did a 6 year program at Baylor and loved it.

Oh sorry. It is Harvard isn't it..
Not too familiar with US schools..

When you complete a dental specialty in Japan you get a PhD.