Best dental schools treatment of applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegeboy30000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LIST YOUR BEST EXPERIENCE THAT YOU FROM A D-SCHOOL!

Lets give the future pre-dents a little hope and something positive to look forward to; not all D-schools are evil to pre-dents, some actually do their job correctly.

The best treatment for me was Columbia, they actually called me to reschedule my interview date [from mid-Feb to early Jan 5th]. Dr.McManus and Dr.Davis were very welcoming and helped relieve any tension/anxiety I had.

I think BU was great as well [ the brownies that were served during lunch are the best!] Oh, and Dr.Shaw, talk about a very sweet lady, she reminds me of my grandama!

Of course Temple and Mr.Bian Hahn, who didn't want to go have a beer this guy after the interview day?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course Temple and Mr.Bian Hahn, who didn't want to go have a beer this guy after the interview day?

The energy of that guy impressed me. Spazzing out every day to another enourmous group of kids waiting to kiss some ass would be tough. But did a great job. I even remember his dog's named buddy.

But for the most positive - VCU all the way. :thumbup: They were so polite and hospitable. They acted like they had known me for years. The interviewers were great and told me that they would really like to see me at their school!! I was pretty pumped afterwards. It was such a positive experience that when I had to decline their offer, I almost felt guilty; like I needed to apologize or something.

I will definitely second VCU.

Everything was very organized and all the staff, faculty, and students were wonderful.

Dr. Healy gives it to you straight, answers all your questions very truthfully and also has a great sense of humor. :)

I got the exact same vibe from the U of Kentucky and had a great experience there as well with the exception of what I talked about under the "bad interview/treatment" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana U. definitely

Boston U. a close second

Univ. of the Pacific experience was really nice... and definitely puts you in a trance :)

NYU treated me really well. I love the lady who interviewed me...I think she is the head of the recruiting thingy. It wasn't like an interview...I was more like a personal conversation. She was just full of energy and extremely thoughtful.

Univ. of the Pacific experience was really nice... and definitely puts you in a trance :)

I thought UoP was nice, but I don't think it was really that much different then my other interview experiences.

Well, I was ambushed after getting done with my student interview and given candy by one of the admissions staff, and my faculty interview was awesome. Nothing makes you feel good about your interview when the interviewer basically starts out with "Everything here looks good." then proceeds to spend 45 minutes telling you stories about dentistry in the 40s and convincing you to try to go there :laugh:

I thought UoP was nice, but I don't think it was really that much different then my other interview experiences.

Well, I was ambushed after getting done with my student interview and given candy by one of the admissions staff, and my faculty interview was awesome. Nothing makes you feel good about your interview when the interviewer basically starts out with "Everything here looks good." then proceeds to spend 45 minutes telling you stories about dentistry in the 40s and convincing you to try to go there :laugh:

That's pretty much what happened with me. I guess it was also the week vacation in SF during that time that made it feel so awesome:D Having about as low stress interview as possible and coupling that with a week of sunny weather in SF made for a pretty sweet time.

So only a hand full of good experiences? I remeber in all of my interviewes the other interviewees were happy to be there and all were part of SDN as well! Where are they?

VCU was extremely courteous. The administration, the faculty and the students all made me feel right at home (although I thought the buttons they gave out were a bit cheesey). I felt really bad turning down their offer.

I agree VCU. Of the schools I interviewed at, VCU was the only one that emphasized why their program could use me and not just how I would benefit from their program. I didn't get a button! Where is my button?!

The schools know it is expensive for us to come and they don't want to waste our time. Also, it is our chance to interview them so the schools want to make the best impression that they can.

With that said, the only interview I did not enjoy was the one where we were given a map and told to have an hour long self-guided tour of the campus. If you interviewed there, you know which school I am talking about.

The schools know it is expensive for us to come and they don't want to waste our time. Also, it is our chance to interview them so the schools want to make the best impression that they can.

With that said, the only interview I did not enjoy was the one where we were given a map and told to have an hour long self-guided tour of the campus. If you interviewed there, you know which school I am talking about.
Yes, I know... and its not Temple... therefore.... btw, self guided tours suck when you don't know where you're going plus people stare! I would definitely say the self guided tour school treated me like crap relative to my other interviews.

Best school probably was Columbia. Drs. Davis and McManus pretty much had me sold.

Members don't see this ad :)

that really didn't bother me too much just bc it was a self guided tour of the undergrad campus. it made sense to me for that to be self guided...not a big deal

in fact that was one of my best interview experiences. true, it was my first, and i was the most nervous about it, but i felt that that school was perhaps one of the better experiences.

as far as which schools were the best experiences, i had a great experience at most of the schools, but most notable are:

Tufts: by far one of the best experiences, they were all about honesty, no other school was that straight forwad when it came to letting us know about things like board scores, research, and they really geared their presentation to us students. if you guys interviewed there feb 1st, ou know what i mean. plus the feb 1st interview group was great.

Penn, despire what others think, i thought they genuinely cared for the students and you wouldn't just be a number there, Dr. DeRossi was a great speaker too (plus good lunch and breakfast)

BU: very friendly faculty, the program just wasn't for me. like someone said above, Dr. Shaw was such a sweet lady!

and last but not least,

UCLA: one of the most accommodating schools i've been too. i was stuck in traffic and about an hour and a half late, so i was a nervous wreck that day. they were sooooo friendly when i arrived there, and went out of there way to make me feel better. i walked in about 1/2 way through Dr. Bibb's presentation, and she made a joke about it, and said not to worry. my interviewer waited about 30 mintues for me while i was writing the writing sample since i had missed it in the morning. so i'm thinking this would only irritate him even more, but he was one of the kindest interviewers i've had, and said to forget about it, there was no worry. contrary to what i thought before, it really felt like they genuinely cared about the students too. it was nice to see a school with this reputation care so much.

I had a really good experience at NYU as well as UDM (where I will be attending)...but I'd have to say that overall the best experience based on friendliness of the staff,faculty, students..as well as the other interviewers...Louisville was the best.

VCU: Didn't get an interview, but they were very nice on the phone.

Columbia: Talked to them on the phone, were pretty rude to me.

UDM: Didn't ever pick up the phone.

Maryland has always been very informative. They update their applicants constantly throughout the application process. When you call, the admissions staff is friendly. When you e-mail, you get a reply.

The interview is very laid back, almost to the point that you feel as if the interview doesn't count for very much of the admissions decision (which is kinda annoying)...but at least you leave feeling good about your visit. The dean of recruitment, Dr. Meehan, is super nice too.

jb!:)

I agree VCU. Of the schools I interviewed at, VCU was the only one that emphasized why their program could use me and not just how I would benefit from their program. I didn't get a button! Where is my button?!

i vote vcu too:cool:

yea what's this button deal? and i thought i was special...:(

I had a really good experience at NYU as well as UDM (where I will be attending)...but I'd have to say that overall the best experience based on friendliness of the staff,faculty, students..as well as the other interviewers...Louisville was the best.

I second UDM, they really try to do everything they can for you. But they are a little unorganized so you have bare with them. The woman in charge of addmissions there is extremely nice (Karen Oniel?). All things considered I was an in state applicant so maybe I got preferential treatment.

Well I'd have to say NYU: the guy told me that there was no need to interview me and we could just waste the time talking about something else. He said that I could put my feet up on his desk (not kidding) I almost did.

He was probably waiting to reject you once you did that. :eek:

Well I'd have to say NYU: the guy told me that there was no need to interview me and we could just waste the time talking about something else. He said that I could put my feet up on his desk (not kidding) I almost did.

Ohio State treated me like a king, the interview was just a conversation and they pretty much told me I would be accepted at the beginning of the interview. When I told them I wouldn't be attending they sent me popcorn, and a blockbuster gift cerificate with the hopes that I would fill out a survey on what they could do to get better applicants.

Penn had a good atmosphere as well, Dr. DeRossi was very charismatic.

Maryland was also good. They just showed a group of us around and then I got an acceptance letter 2 weeks later. They were also very helpful and courteous on the phone.

tufts: absolutely amazing... i agree with pacbum, i think it had somehting to do with our group! but yeah, it felt like home there.

bu: my interviewer was soooo sweet and sooooooooo relaxed. it was a very comfertable environment.

in general... admissions has been good pretty much everywhere except for illinois. but i think thats just cuz im out of state.

VCU was outstanding and it nearly broke my heart to have to decline their offer (got into a school significantly closer to home) becoz everyone in admissions and at the school treated us like we were already members of their happy, close-knit family. In my personal statement I had briefly mentioned a personal family crisis (which resulted in my having to take a break from school for awhile) and VCU was the ONLY school where the interviewers seemed genuinely concerned and interested in how my family and I were recuperating. Maybe one day I'll do a residency or specialty program there, who knows :)

Tufts: I like how they were very honest about the number they interview, number they accept and the number they waitlist and reject (post interview). They were always very courteous over the phone and email too.

Penn: same as Tufts. And Dr. Stoopler was really cool and laid back. We talked about South Africa the whole time (his wife is from there and we were considering honeymooning there at the time)

NYU: They were really cool about me showing up 15 minutes late, told me not to panic, have some food and coffee and go in the "holding" room and relax.

Temple: Brian Hahn. Need I say more?

Tufts: I like how they were very honest about the number they interview, number they accept and the number they waitlist and reject (post interview). They were always very courteous over the phone and email too.

Penn: same as Tufts. And Dr. Stoopler was really cool and laid back. We talked about South Africa the whole time (his wife is from there and we were considering honeymooning there at the time)

NYU: They were really cool about me showing up 15 minutes late, told me not to panic, have some food and coffee and go in the "holding" room and relax.

Temple: Brian Hahn. Need I say more?

NYU called it the "holding" room? Isn't that where they keep people awaiting trial or sentencing?

I only "interviewed" at UCLA and Maryland. Maryland was by far the most pleasant and made everyone feel extremely welcome. The dean and Dr. Meehan were both amazing and the school is just plain awesome. UCLA interview was very laid back and I was only asked one question and then we talked for the rest of the interview.

NYU called it the "holding" room? Isn't that where they keep people awaiting trial or sentencing?

Haha! That's what I thought too! That's what the receptionist said, I'm not so sure that's what everyone calls it - or maybe it is!

columbia and penn were the best!
then bu...actually dr.shaw...such a sweet lady!

I second UDM, they really try to do everything they can for you. But they are a little unorganized so you have bare with them. The woman in charge of addmissions there is extremely nice (Karen Oniel?). All things considered I was an in state applicant so maybe I got preferential treatment.

I agree w/ the unorganized part. At times it was kind of confusing as to what was going on...but throughout the whole experience I gave them the benefit of the doubt and told myself that the admissions office and their policies do not affect you once in school, that it really has no bearing on your dschool experience...and I think that's a reasonable mindset.

Temple-While he seemed nice enough, he sometimes came off as a used car sales man.. I liked Temple but Brain Hahn has to dial it down a notch i think..

Pacific-I loved my experience at Pacific, but then again i'm biased as it was my top choice since the day i submitted my aadsas.

UNLV-While my interviewer at at UNLV was a bit scary and sarcastic the whole way through (they accepted me though), I did like the song and dance the faculty & staff put on for us.. One thing though; They really have to be more selective when picking the student tour guides. The guy I had kept making racist remarks( "patients here dont like white people" & "I would never bring my wife to this part of town" & "no one speaks english here" ect..)

UMDNJ-The staff at UMDNJ were rude from the beginning of the application process

bump.
I've been bumping threads all day.

I thought UOP was by far the best interview experience! They were super friendly and the students were jazzed about seeing new people interviewing. Even had someone talking to me in the bathroom about how great UOP was. The people there love that school and treat interviewees great!

UCLA was also a great experience! Didn't have people talking to me in the bathrooms, but the students were really happy to answer questions about the school and everyone was really friendly. The faculty interview was really relaxed and the student interview was very chill.

Harvard was surprisingly relaxed as well. Can't help but be super nervous at that interview, but the faculty interview was just as pleasant as the other interviews I've had. On the tour we were even given ice cream! How sweet is that!

Funny how everyone loved the interview at their school and thinks they are the best.

Best interview was at Case. Very freindly and straight up. No games or gimmicks or brainteasers. Very freindly and insightful throughout the whole process.

I take it back, best interview bar-none was The Ohio State University. It was a celebration. They treat you like Kings and Queens. All the free stuff from leather portfolios to Buckeye gear. Two meals that were fully catered in the grand ballroom of the nicest hotel in Columbus. They basically beg you to go there (if you are from Utah, hehehehhe). No kidding, they beg you to attend.

Nova was great and extremely laid back. Oh and they let you know if you are accepted well before Dec first. :thumbup: