loo

Always Sleepy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
Where It Is Always Cold
  1. Veterinarian
    Hey All-

Other than torching my coveralls, can anybody suggest a good detergent that will get out that lovely pig poop smell? So far, Gain has sorta worked, but it's hard to find it stocked consistently in my neck of the woods.

I'm looking for a detergent that won't disintegrate my clothes or my skin...

About the Ads

winterfire1203

VMRCVM Class of 2011
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2006
    U.S.
    1. Veterinary Student
      I usually do a healthy dose of scented bleach (hate the smell of standard bleach) and then just my regular detergent (all). I also clean all my pig stuff immediately. Coveralls come off before I hit the car and go in a bag which I tie really tight and from there they get dumped in the washer. Cold water. Seems to work for mine, but then I've only spent a couple hours at most running around with pigs so maybe the smell just doesn't have time to set in. ;-)

loo

Always Sleepy
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Dec 16, 2002
      Where It Is Always Cold
      1. Veterinarian
        I usually do a healthy dose of scented bleach (hate the smell of standard bleach) and then just my regular detergent (all). I also clean all my pig stuff immediately. Coveralls come off before I hit the car and go in a bag which I tie really tight and from there they get dumped in the washer. Cold water. Seems to work for mine, but then I've only spent a couple hours at most running around with pigs so maybe the smell just doesn't have time to set in. ;-)

I do the same, but I let 'em soak in cold water/detergent for a little while before actually washing them. This has cut down "residual" smell considerably.

Hmmm. There's definitely a market out there for specific veterinary detergent formulations. For example, companies could have "Dairy Barn Formulation", or "Stubborn Pig S**t Remover", or my personal favorite, "Anal Gland Buster".

DrDRBaker2B

UIL CVM Class of 2011!!
        10+ Year Member
        Mar 24, 2007
        Kentucky
        www.myspace.com
        1. Pre-Veterinary
          So at the hog farm I work at, they use the product BANG ultra concentrate in industrial size (probably from Sam's club). They also use a touch of Wisk (I think that is what it is called) liquid detergent. Then in the dryer they use an off brand dryer sheet. The combination seems to work for all of their coveralls, sweaters, etc. I know they smell better after washing than before. Hope this helps!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.