Best Detroit program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first question is: why does Wayne State Univ have 2 ER programs? If anyone out there has info on programs in Detroit and would you rotate at Grace or Receving or avoid Detroit.

Members don't see this ad.

I would rotate at Henry Ford, Sinai-Grace, or Detroit Receiving. As a student, I believe you would have the most opportunities for procedures at Sinai-Grace due to the student-friendly nature of the program. Schedule your elective in August/September time frame and try to get it now. As an outside student, it is extremely difficult to get a rotation in the month of July and August due to 25+ wayne state EM-bounded students rotating that month.

You'll get a good experience at all the mentioned hospitals, although Detroit Receiving may not get all the different kinds of patients that go to the other two. This is because Receiving is in the middle of the Detroit Medical Center campus, where Children's Hospital of Michigan, Harper, and Hutzel hospitals are also located, and certain patients (kids, pregnant women, and specific other conditions) are automatically turfed to those hospitals rather than to Receiving, where the worst trauma goes. I don't know if a rotating student would stay at Receiving for the entire month, or whether he/she would rotate through the other places.

I'd contact the program office and ask about the experience you'll be getting before committing to the clerkship.