Best DO location for starting family, new jobs, etc

reese07

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    I just recently got engaged and my fiancé will be relocating with me wherever I get accepted to. I want to be able to attend a reputable school and also have a good location for my husband to find a job (he's a nurse) and to also attend dnp school. Which DO schools offer this in their location where there are good schools and hospitals in the area? I want to do general surgery so idk if location will restrict my chances that much as a DO. What DO schools should I avoid?

Last edited:

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    May 27, 2011
    1. Medical Student
      I just recently got engaged and my fiancé will be relocating with me wherever I get accepted to. I want to be able to attend a reputable school and also have a good location for my wife to find a job ( she's a nurse) and to also attend dnp school. Which DO schools offer this in their location where there are good schools and hospitals in the area? I want to do general surgery so idk if location will restrict my chances that much as a DO. What DO schools should I avoid?

Nova in South FL would fulfill all these requirements for you and your fiancé...

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
    • Jul 2, 2013
      Decapod 10
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        CCOM is about 30-40 minutes outside of Chicago, and there are A TON of hospitals in the suburbs that are solid. I've grown up in the next town over from CCOM and I know of 6 hospitals within a 15 minute drive of my house. I think CCOM has a nursing program, but idk what degrees they offer.

About the Ads

reese07

10+ Year Member
        Feb 4, 2007
        1. Pre-Medical
          It seems like the more urban the more opportunities. However, I really like VCOM and what they offer but I don't know too much about their ability to prepare students to match into competitive specialties and what Blacksburg can offer in terms of my situation. It seems to be pretty rural.

Dreamstoo

7+ Year Member
          Dec 13, 2011
          1. Medical Student
            For me despite living closer to a specific DO school back home (20 minute drive). My top choice by far is PCOM because of it's success in matching people into orthopedics. Also, I have a lot of family near by.

DrEnderW

7+ Year Member
            Dec 5, 2012
            Rishi Maze
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              TouroCOM NY and NYCOM as well. I applied to those two and CCOM on the DO side for a somewhat similar reason as you. The greater NYC and Chicago area have so many opportunities.

I would consider Touro CA too, the greater San Fran area is awesome.

Good luck.

tidequwu

Sep 17, 2013
              1. Podiatry Student
                My top choice by far is PCOM because of it's success in matching people into orthopedics. Also, I have a lot of family near by.
                1.gif

DrEnderW

7+ Year Member
                Dec 5, 2012
                Rishi Maze
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  I'm not saying PCOM isn't a great program (it is) and they do have a nice ortho placement record, but remember your chance at those specialties is highly, highly individually driven. Furthermore, these numbers could change from year to year pending on student interest.

The main factors for matching are your personal success on audition rotations and personal dedication to get a high board score. If you had all the criteria needed for a successful application, you'd get an ortho spot regardless of which school you attend. I'm saying this only so no one gets "dead set" on one school, especially if it doesn't work out.

Good luck.

Dreamstoo

7+ Year Member
                  Dec 13, 2011
                  1. Medical Student
                    I'm not saying PCOM isn't a great program (it is) and they do have a nice ortho placement record, but remember your chance at those specialties is highly, highly individually driven. Furthermore, these numbers could change from year to year pending on student interest.

The main factors for matching are your personal success on audition rotations and personal dedication to get a high board score. If you had all the criteria needed for a successful application, you'd get an ortho spot regardless of which school you attend. I'm saying this only so no one gets "dead set" on one school, especially if it doesn't work out.

Good luck.

I like what I have read about pcom. It's a lot more then their variety of matches

DrEnderW

7+ Year Member
                    Dec 5, 2012
                    Rishi Maze
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      I like what I have read about pcom. It's a lot more then their variety of matches

That's awesome, I agree it's a great program. I wasn't implying you hadn't personally done your research or had great reasons. I just wanted to make an overarching, broad point to all reading that in the DO world especially, students can place where they want because of individual efforts. Good luck!

Jazzy G

Feb 5, 2013
                      1. Medical Student
                        Thanks for the replies. Anyone have input on which schools to absolutely avoid based on not having opportunities for your spouse and family?

If he's a nurse there should be opportunities near most schools. Remember, each medical school has medical affiliations nearby. You'll need to do some research as far as advanced schooling though, because you may need to find a school that has another university/program nearby that offers it. "Opportunities" for family seems really personal. Some may say that is being in a safe small towns, others in a large city that has all the shopping and activities.

okokok

7+ Year Member
                        Apr 12, 2012
                          CCOM is about 30-40 minutes outside of Chicago, and there are A TON of hospitals in the suburbs that are solid. I've grown up in the next town over from CCOM and I know of 6 hospitals within a 15 minute drive of my house. I think CCOM has a nursing program, but idk what degrees they offer.

I interviewed here and highly recommend it. It's an awesome school and lots of opportunities for a nurse to find work.

About the Ads

GUH

Underdawg
                          10+ Year Member
                          Jul 13, 2010
                          Eastern US
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            I just recently got engaged and my fiancé will be relocating with me wherever I get accepted to. I want to be able to attend a reputable school and also have a good location for my husband to find a job (he's a nurse) and to also attend dnp school. Which DO schools offer this in their location where there are good schools and hospitals in the area? I want to do general surgery so idk if location will restrict my chances that much as a DO. What DO schools should I avoid?

WesternU has a DNP program and there are nice areas to live nearby like Claremont and Chino Hills. Not sure what the job market is for nurses in the area, though.

DOPlzthx

Jul 1, 2013
                            SC
                              In a similar situation. I like VCOM-CC for this because it is very livable. There is a hospital system near the school where you can request to do your 3rd and 4th year, and there is opportunity to do residency in the same hospital as well as the neighboring city's hospital system. My husband has already been looking for jobs there to get a general idea, and apparently there are over 200 openings in his field within a 30 mile radius. Low cost of living too.

reese07

10+ Year Member
                              Feb 4, 2007
                              1. Pre-Medical
                                In a similar situation. I like VCOM-CC for this because it is very livable. There is a hospital system near the school where you can request to do your 3rd and 4th year, and there is opportunity to do residency in the same hospital as well as the neighboring city's hospital system. My husband has already been looking for jobs there to get a general idea, and apparently there are over 200 openings in his field within a 30 mile radius. Low cost of living too.

Wow, did not know the Carolinas campus had that much to offer..too bad I didn't apply there. Do you know if Blacksburg is more or less the same?

HotHamH2O

Turn on the fire hose and open wide!
                                7+ Year Member
                                Jun 24, 2010
                                Orlando Bloom
                                1. Medical Student
                                  Nova in South FL would fulfill all these requirements for you and your fiancé...

I wouldn't raise a cat in Ft. Lauderdale. I live in north Palm right now and dread even driving past Boca. Crime is bad, schools are terrible, neighborhoods aren't safe for children to play in, and property lots are small. Just my opinion, but I've lived in south florida for 22 years so its from experience.

coolingglasses

5+ Year Member
                                  Jun 20, 2012
                                  do not try to swim to europe
                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                    I wouldn't raise a cat in Ft. Lauderdale. I live in north Palm right now and dread even driving past Boca. Crime is bad, schools are terrible, neighborhoods aren't safe for children to play in, and property lots are small. Just my opinion, but I've lived in south florida for 22 years so its from experience.

I know at least one student at NSU is raising cats :p

About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.