Best DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastjoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What DO school is the best? Why is that one the best? IS there a ranking system of DO schools? Where does CCOM, UNECOM, NOVA, PCOM and NYCOM fit?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the "best" anything, particularly the "best" D.O. school, is very much a personal decision.

If you enjoy a particular area of academics that one school may be stonger in, then that school will look better to you.

If you like the geographical location of another school, then that's your place.

Decide what you want from your education.

Where you want to go to school. What areas the school is recognized for. Residency options. Tuition. Financial aid. And don't forget the all important fact about which school accepts you!

My suggestion...rather than asking which school is the "best"...ask people why they are attending a particular school. Or, ask why they decided NOT to attend a particular school.

Best of luck to you!

The best things in life are free, but you can give them to birds and bees, I want a 45....oh yeah...I want a 45.

I already have been accepted to UNECOM,CCOM and PCOM and was wondering which school is better. I haven't decided where I want my geographic location to be. I also have been invited for interviews and NOVA and NYCOM and was wondering if there is any reason to spend the money or time interviewing at either. Please, I would appreciate Pro and Con for each school. I would really appreciate it if somebody new a site where I could the national rankings of the DO schools and what there specialties were.

Members don't see this ad :)
fastjoe:

Congratulations on your acceptances!

I would suggest going to the following site and entering the names of your top 4 choice schools. The spreadsheet will give you a side-by-side comparison of the schools.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/grad/gradmed.htm

Also...
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad00/med_srch.htm

Enter the name of each school on this site and it will give you a brief description of each school. If the school is ranked in any way or has a standout quality, it should be listed there.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

It does seem to be personal preference, based on what's important. I will want to learn solid OMM, so of those you listed,I have biases in favor of UNECOM and NYCOM. My third choice is KCOM. NYCOM is consistently rated favorably on these boards for clinicals, and I've been told UNECOM emphasizes not only OMM but takes it a step further by also emphasizing cranial osteopathy.

Cranial/sacral osteopathy is taught at all the osteopathic medical schools to varying degrees. From what I've heard (NOT NECESSARILY FACT), a large proportion of the osteopathic community thinks cranial/sacral osteopathy is a bunch of hooey. Take that for what it's worth.

NYCOM offers a full osteopathic education, but one of the most important advantages it has over a place like UNECOM is its clinical affiliations which, as I've said a bunch of times here, are among the best in the osteopathic world. UNECOM has a strong primary care emphasis and while some students have already decided, a large bunch of you -- even entering osteopathic medical students -- are undecided. NYCOM is a more broad-based osteopathic school with an excellent education in things not primary care, but still retains the tradtional osteopathic bent toward primary care.

Who could ask for anything more?
smile.gif

Tim of New York City,
friend of NYCOM, fan of the YANKEES.

Tim of NYC,

You speak highly of NYCOM's clinical affiliates. Do you have any information about which hospitals NYCOM students typically perform their rotations? Also, do you know any numbers, or percentages of NYCOM students who have matched well into neurology/psychiatry residencies?

Thank you!

Together

"It never meant as much as it does right now"

The ones attached to State universities with low in-state tuition!
wink.gif

smile.gif

Stephen's comment is sorta on the ball, but not quite. Five of the 18 hospitals NYCOM students rotate through are academic affiliates of SUNY Downstate. NYCOM's major clinical campus is situated in the Bronx at St. Barnabas Hospital. The school also maintains affiliates out on the Island at places like Nassau County Medical Center and Long Island Jewish Medical Center. When I talk about the good hospitals NYCOM has, it's generally these two, Barnabas of the Bronx, and Barnabas of New Jersey.

And just for clarity, Maimonides Medical Center, Lutheran Medical Center, LIJ, Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center, and Jamaica Hospital and Medical Center are the five academic affiliates of SUNY that NYCOM happens to "share," but I'd only really consider LIJ a good hospital. LIJ, incidentally, is also an academic affiliate and more of a major partner with Einstein.

For more specific information, I'd consult a NYCOM student.

Tim of New York City.