• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Best EM Cocktail Ever!

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Attending Physician
So I have happened upon the best drink for EPs ever:

12 oz strong black coffee
6 oz chocolate Slim Fast (1/2 can)
2 tbsp of orange flavored Metamucil

You can adjust amounts to taste.

I find that this drink addresses many of the major problems in EM. We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third.

I highly suggest offering a cup to the next med student who refers to EM as a "lifestyle specialty."

Upvote 0
About the Ads

Drawing Dead

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2008
Chicago
  1. Resident [Any Field]
How about for those of us who are weird and don't like coffee or chocolate?

Luckily, slim fast makes different flavors. You can get strawberry slim fast and then break open a few caffine capsules (you know, the ones from Saved by the Bell) into it. Why, mixed with the metamucil, it's a nice Carribean pick me up, nutrition, and break excuse all in one!

Upvote 0

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Attending Physician
what about those of us who are weird and don't like metamucil? Or REALLY like it?
If you don't like Metamucil because of the orange flavor they have unflavored physillium (which I can't spell and which is the stuff that makes it work) at helath food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. If you want the fiber but hate drinking the thick sludge cut the dose or take Fiber-Con tablets.

Upvote 0

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Attending Physician
These are all great... but personally, I'd take a camelback with iced coffee any day. Think JCAHO would mind? :D

There's something about no drinking in a patient care area but then there's also supposed to be an exception for drinks that are covered. A camelback if definitely covered so go for it.

Upvote 0

spyderdoc

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
SF Bay Area
  1. Attending Physician
There's something about no drinking in a patient care area.

Isn't it just absurd that every patient/family can scarf down sammiches and drink to their heart's content in the ED while the staff starves (and thirsts) to death....

Upvote 0

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
  1. Attending Physician
Isn't it just absurd that every patient/family can scarf down sammiches and drink to their heart's content in the ED while the staff starves (and thirsts) to death....
Don't you sully the great name of JCAHO! They're not just self-important bureaucrats who make our lives harder for no discernable gain. They are... well you know they... well they're not that other thing and I'm sure they're valuable in some way that I just can't figure out.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.