Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Best EM Cocktail Ever!

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by docB, Nov 30, 2008.

1. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I have happened upon the best drink for EPs ever:

12 oz strong black coffee
    6 oz chocolate Slim Fast (1/2 can)
    2 tbsp of orange flavored Metamucil

You can adjust amounts to taste.

I find that this drink addresses many of the major problems in EM. We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third.

I highly suggest offering a cup to the next med student who refers to EM as a "lifestyle specialty."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zmeister22

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I :love: you...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. highdesert

highdesert Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

"We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. ...this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third."

I guess this gives new meaning to "moving the meat" at work...

I might have to try this...

4. igcgnerd

igcgnerd Hawkeye
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well my favorite cocktail that I've found vital to working in an ED is something your drink after shift. That 6:30 am gin and tonic really does make the world go 'round.:laugh:

5. Baditude

Baditude Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How about for those of us who are weird and don't like coffee or chocolate?

6. that dr. jack

that dr. jack Captain Bringdown
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would have thought it was the vodka/ambien combo i tearfully gulp down after every shift.

7. Drawing Dead

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Luckily, slim fast makes different flavors. You can get strawberry slim fast and then break open a few caffine capsules (you know, the ones from Saved by the Bell) into it. Why, mixed with the metamucil, it's a nice Carribean pick me up, nutrition, and break excuse all in one!

8. kungfufishing

kungfufishing Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what about those of us who are weird and don't like metamucil? Or REALLY like it?

9. Drawing Dead

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lucky for you, the coffee and slim fast should do the trick on their own. I think the metamucil is just for really sadistic individuals :D

10. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're screwed.

;)

Take care,
    Jeff

11. OP
    OP
    docB

docB Chronically painful

Attending Physician
    If you don't like Metamucil because of the orange flavor they have unflavored physillium (which I can't spell and which is the stuff that makes it work) at helath food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. If you want the fiber but hate drinking the thick sludge cut the dose or take Fiber-Con tablets.

12. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    These are all great... but personally, I'd take a camelback with iced coffee any day. Think JCAHO would mind? :D

13. OP
    OP
    docB

docB Chronically painful

Attending Physician
    There's something about no drinking in a patient care area but then there's also supposed to be an exception for drinks that are covered. A camelback if definitely covered so go for it.

14. spyderdoc

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Isn't it just absurd that every patient/family can scarf down sammiches and drink to their heart's content in the ED while the staff starves (and thirsts) to death....

15. OP
    OP
    docB

docB Chronically painful

Attending Physician
    Don't you sully the great name of JCAHO! They're not just self-important bureaucrats who make our lives harder for no discernable gain. They are... well you know they... well they're not that other thing and I'm sure they're valuable in some way that I just can't figure out.:rolleyes: