Best EM Cocktail Ever!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have happened upon the best drink for EPs ever:

12 oz strong black coffee
6 oz chocolate Slim Fast (1/2 can)
2 tbsp of orange flavored Metamucil

You can adjust amounts to taste.

I find that this drink addresses many of the major problems in EM. We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third.

I highly suggest offering a cup to the next med student who refers to EM as a "lifestyle specialty."

Members don't see this ad.

I find that this drink addresses many of the major problems in EM. We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third.

I :love: you...

"We don't have time to eat or go to the bathroom and the hours are long and irregular. ...this takes care of 2 of those and forces you to address the third."

I guess this gives new meaning to "moving the meat" at work...

I might have to try this...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my favorite cocktail that I've found vital to working in an ED is something your drink after shift. That 6:30 am gin and tonic really does make the world go 'round.:laugh:

How about for those of us who are weird and don't like coffee or chocolate?

i would have thought it was the vodka/ambien combo i tearfully gulp down after every shift.

How about for those of us who are weird and don't like coffee or chocolate?

Luckily, slim fast makes different flavors. You can get strawberry slim fast and then break open a few caffine capsules (you know, the ones from Saved by the Bell) into it. Why, mixed with the metamucil, it's a nice Carribean pick me up, nutrition, and break excuse all in one!

what about those of us who are weird and don't like metamucil? Or REALLY like it?

what about those of us who are weird and don't like metamucil? Or REALLY like it?

Lucky for you, the coffee and slim fast should do the trick on their own. I think the metamucil is just for really sadistic individuals :D

If you don't like Metamucil because of the orange flavor they have unflavored physillium (which I can't spell and which is the stuff that makes it work) at helath food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. If you want the fiber but hate drinking the thick sludge cut the dose or take Fiber-Con tablets.

These are all great... but personally, I'd take a camelback with iced coffee any day. Think JCAHO would mind? :D

These are all great... but personally, I'd take a camelback with iced coffee any day. Think JCAHO would mind? :D

There's something about no drinking in a patient care area but then there's also supposed to be an exception for drinks that are covered. A camelback if definitely covered so go for it.

Isn't it just absurd that every patient/family can scarf down sammiches and drink to their heart's content in the ED while the staff starves (and thirsts) to death....
Don't you sully the great name of JCAHO! They're not just self-important bureaucrats who make our lives harder for no discernable gain. They are... well you know they... well they're not that other thing and I'm sure they're valuable in some way that I just can't figure out.:rolleyes: