Best Emergency Med Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jofrbr76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being from Michigan, i'm leaning towards schools nearby, in large cities. This limits me to Wayne state (Detroit), and Chicago schools (Pritzker, N'western, Loyola, Finch)

Should i focus on schools in metro areas for better Em-med rotations or programs? Is there a list somewhere of the best schools for this specialty (if it's still considered a specialty)????

What schools are known for good Emergency med rotations/match lists for this?

Members don't see this ad.

Best EM programs in Chi-town are

U of Chicago and Christ

Resurrection has the BEST food though.

Northwestern is PGY 1-4 so forget it
and Cook County is a meat market.

I've heard people who were applying to EM say that UIC is one of the better EM programs in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know everyone loves to plug the Chicago schools/programs....I'm sure they're fine. Down here in The Big Easy we have Charity Hospital (anyone remember it from TLC's "Code Blue"?). It's well-known for being the busiest ED in the country. The staff is excellent. Dr. Norman McSwain is known around the globe for his skills as a trauma surgeon. Military docs trained here before the Gulf War.

LA County Memorial is also a program of note.

Grady in Atlanta is also top-notch.

Parkland in Dallas is also excellent.

I'm know there are good programs in Chicago and the "ER" has made them quite popular. Not sure why anyone would choose these other towns over New Orleans (unless you have a family). Just remember, if you choose Chicago, you won't be working alongside Drs. Green, Carter, or Benton.

Actually, the original question was regarding the Best Programs near Detroit...New Orleans, unless it moved, is a few hours south of Detroit.

Jofrbr, you may wish to check out MCW-Milwaukee.

Don't forget Houston. Ben Taub is the county hospital and is comparable to Parkland in Dallas. Its associated with Baylor COM. Also, Hermann Hospital is there (associate with Univ. of Texas) and the last 2 years it has been the #1 blunt trauma center in the country. Number one meaning the most cases in a year. They have a fleet of 6 helicopters and they NEVER stop coming in. I always feel bad for the poor residents getting slammed constantly but I'm sure it makes for really good EM training. I think any big city will have at least one outstanding EM program. Just pick the city you want to live in.

Who the hell wants to be near Detroit?

ER...Detroit. Enough said!

Kristi
just finished up my ER rotation in downtown Detroit.