Best Experimental B/B and P/S passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justinhopefuldoctor

Reaction score
Hi,
Everything is feeling good, I have about 2.5 weeks till my exam. What is the best resource for experimental passages for B/B and P/S?

My content is good I just want to make sure I can tackle the most difficult passages (with graphs/confusing/etc). All AAMC material is done besides a test and cars Qpack. A lot of people are saying UWorld or the Jack Westin Khan passages. Please let me know :)

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Everything is feeling good, I have about 2.5 weeks till my exam. What is the best resource for experimental passages for B/B and P/S?

My content is good I just want to make sure I can tackle the most difficult passages (with graphs/confusing/etc). All AAMC material is done besides a test and cars Qpack. A lot of people are saying UWorld or the Jack Westin Khan passages. Please let me know :)

Thank you :)

PLEASE help me out lol, testing august 31. Do you think it would be worth doing the section banks again aswell? got 67/83/70 - b/b, p/s and c/p.

Sounds like you should focus on B/B. That's pretty important. Khan Academy has the best passages outside of AAMC material.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you should focus on B/B. That's pretty important. Khan Academy has the best passages outside of AAMC material.

Thanks for the reply aldol16!!! lol I was just about to reply to myself again. I have been banging out bio passages like nobodies business. I got 508 twice on the AAMC 1 and 3, along with 80% on sample. Really hoping for a 510+. So instead of redoing the SB, I should probably just focus on getting through as many khan passages (and reviewing deeply of course). Because Im not trying to support uworld after what they did if I don't have to!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply aldol16!!! lol I was just about to reply to myself again. I have been banging out bio passages like nobodies business. I got 508 twice on the AAMC 1 and 3, along with 80% on sample. Really hoping for a 510+. So instead of redoing the SB, I should probably just focus on getting through as many khan passages (and reviewing deeply of course). Because Im not trying to support uworld after what they did if I don't have to!

When did you last go through the SB? You should at a bare minimum make sure you understand thoroughly everything you missed in the SB. Khan is a great resource if you have passages there you haven't seen before.

I never used UWorld because it wasn't a big thing when I took it but what I will say is don't let your personal pride jeopardize your success. You can protest all you want but never put that above your career or prospects. Do what you gotta do.

When did you last go through the SB? You should at a bare minimum make sure you understand thoroughly everything you missed in the SB. Khan is a great resource if you have passages there you haven't seen before.

I never used UWorld because it wasn't a big thing when I took it but what I will say is don't let your personal pride jeopardize your success. You can protest all you want but never put that above your career or prospects. Do what you gotta do.

I went through them roughly 2 weeks ago, I have a notebook for each subject where I detailed the mistakes I made on the SB (along with every practice exam/passage/etc...). Maybe it would be worth while to take some time to review those notebooks.

I feel my content is down, but when I come across a tough passage I kind of freak out, but just a couple days of Khan I have seen a huge increase in my confidence and answers correct on hard research passages.

I went through them roughly 2 weeks ago, I have a notebook for each subject where I detailed the mistakes I made on the SB (along with every practice exam/passage/etc...). Maybe it would be worth while to take some time to review those notebooks.

Yes and review the questions. Look at the question with fresh eyes and see if you would be able to choose the correct answer. I know you still remember the answers but try to make sure your logic is sound and the errant logic that led you to the wrong answer has been taken care of.

I feel my content is down, but when I come across a tough passage I kind of freak out, but just a couple days of Khan I have seen a huge increase in my confidence and answers correct on hard research passages.

You need to find a systematic way to attack the passages. Usually, it can be something as simple as making a brief list: Experiment 1, Experiment 2. Their hypotheses, methods, and results. You should do this until you can start doing it in your head. Every experiment should make sense to you and why they did certain things should also make sense. Don't be a passive reader. If they use a technique you're not familiar with, use it as an opportunity to look it up. You don't need to memorize everything but having a working knowledge of common techniques and how they are used is important.

Yes and review the questions. Look at the question with fresh eyes and see if you would be able to choose the correct answer. I know you still remember the answers but try to make sure your logic is sound and the errant logic that led you to the wrong answer has been taken care of.

You need to find a systematic way to attack the passages. Usually, it can be something as simple as making a brief list: Experiment 1, Experiment 2. Their hypotheses, methods, and results. You should do this until you can start doing it in your head. Every experiment should make sense to you and why they did certain things should also make sense. Don't be a passive reader. If they use a technique you're not familiar with, use it as an opportunity to look it up. You don't need to memorize everything but having a working knowledge of common techniques and how they are used is important.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I am going to definitely try that method. I found this one where I would list exp 1, exp 2, their goal, IV, DV, and conclusion. I found that to be a little time consuming but I will give what you said a try until it becomes second nature.

Today with the Khan, I felt subconsciously that I was doing a little mental checklist in my head and making sure not to get lost by writing relevant info down. With the more practice I found to be more confident. I will actively try to get a method consistently until it become second nature.

I'll definitely start looking at that right away notebook too and SB closer to the exam

PS I understand a lot of the lab and experimental techniques, its just say when I get a convoluted passage with so many graphs and different things going on I tend to get lost

You don't need to write everything down - that's just to help you in the initial stages as you're getting to the point where it's second nature to you. On the exam, you can draw out stuff in shorthand (e.g. arrows for activation/inhibition in pathways) but writing just takes extra time. You should have this in your head.

For the tough passages, having this sort of framework will help for that exact reason. You start going down this algorithm to solve the problem instead of freezing up.

You don't need to write everything down - that's just to help you in the initial stages as you're getting to the point where it's second nature to you. On the exam, you can draw out stuff in shorthand (e.g. arrows for activation/inhibition in pathways) but writing just takes extra time. You should have this in your head.

For the tough passages, having this sort of framework will help for that exact reason. You start going down this algorithm to solve the problem instead of freezing up.
Alright, Im going to go hard af within the next few days to solidify a consistent, general algorithm that I can use to tackle the most difficult of passages. I'll touch base with you in a few days if you don't mind!

Thanks for the help today