Best Financial Aid Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools are best for financial aid? Worst? I've heard a lot about the full scholarships at Duke and WashU, but anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Full scholarships at Duke and WashU are not financial aid but rather merit scholarships

Stanford has the best financial aid i have ever seen. UCSF is up there as well. Penn has the worst aid I saw during my interviews but it is such a good school.

AB

Stanford, especially for students who aren't under extreme financial hardship

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo also has great financial aid. About half the students don't pay anything. Of the half that do pay, those from Minnesota, Arizona, or Florida pay less than $6,000 (with no other fees, i.e., no fees for parking, library, technology, etc.). Residents not from those states at most pay $11,500 per year but there are a lot of other less-than-full scholarships available as well. The other nice thing is tuition is fixed at the rate the year you are accepted. Once you are accepted you will never have a rate increase in those four years of medical school. Other financial issues include a low cost of living (as compared to San Francisco, Boston, or New York) and very inexpensive health insurance (as low as $10 per month) which includes dental coverage. Of course, our heating bills are probably a bit higher here than most places....

Originally posted by batman123
Stanford, especially for students who aren't under extreme financial hardship

Stanford really does have great finacial aid for students who would not typically qualify for need. They call it "middle income" aid, and if you qualify for $o.o1 of need based on their formula, you automatically get 20K. I believe the cutoff for income is about 180K, so if your parents make less than that (or you/spouse if you are over 30 yrs) you qualify. Beyond that, they will gve you a 12K tuition credit for doing just about anything-ie research project, TA'ing etc.

Wake Forest for disadvantaged students

Originally posted by Trix
Stanford really does have great finacial aid for students who would not typically qualify for need. They call it "middle income" aid, and if you qualify for $o.o1 of need based on their formula, you automatically get 20K. I believe the cutoff for income is about 180K, so if your parents make less than that (or you/spouse if you are over 30 yrs) you qualify. Beyond that, they will gve you a 12K tuition credit for doing just about anything-ie research project, TA'ing etc.

I think it's $1

If you have at least $1 of need, you qualify for "middle income" aid

I thought it was a matching program for middle-income families. Stanford is willing to match your parental contribution up to 20000, but i don't think they will automatically give you 20000 regardless. Still, can't think of a school that gives better aid than stanford.

Any one know which other schools have merit scholarships? What type and how many? To my joy, I just found out that Pitt has merit scholarships. How come I didn't know that earlier?

Case Western has merit scholarships. I think it they offer 21, either $15,000 or $20,000 per year. 15 are pure merit, the rest are a mixture of merit/need with some specific requirements.

Colorado has a few too, I recently found out, but I don't really know the details. They have merit, diversity, Colorado Medical Society scholarships (for rural/urban exposure or interest) and a scholarship for graduates of CU.

Originally posted by ephgirl
Any one know which other schools have merit scholarships? What type and how many? To my joy, I just found out that Pitt has merit scholarships. How come I didn't know that earlier?

You may also consider state university medical schools. Not only are the educations also excellent, many have great financial aid resources, and once you establish state residency the tuition can go way down.

Just a thought, from one Eph to another...

Originally posted by starryeye81
Still, can't think of a school that gives better aid than stanford.

Must be all that money they make off of charging a secondary application fee (what was it, $100?) and then using a computer to decide who gets secondaries.