Best Financial Schools - Details Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools dish out the most free money, *particularly* need-based aid? Please include details on your package.

(Most interested in private school financial aid, since I assume publics are cheep)

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that Med schools don't give crap for financial aid. Thats why the choice between UMass and Harvard is a big decision for some students in MA. But of course, I really don't know to much since I am not to the level of applying yet.

wash u boasts about its students having less debt than other private schools but it gives out a lot of full rides. so most of the financial aid goes to select individuals. harvard doesnt give out much beyond the usual loans and a little bit of free money. most schools have something written about their financial aid on their websites or in the msar. it is a good indication of how the schools hand out money. key word: *generous*

Members don't see this ad :)
CCLCM (Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine) at CWRU that is just starting this year plans on being extremely generous with its "needs-based" investigator-training grants. Depending on how much your parents/you make, you can get avg 25k/yr grant on a 55k price tag. They state that their goal is that no medical students enrolled at their school should have to take more than $17,500 - 25,000 a year in loans. So it's pretty cool.

-KT

CCLCM Class of 2009

Stanford's aid is entirely need-based, and if you're looking for generous, then you won't find too many places better than SMS. They start you off with a $10K unit loan, after which the grant-to-loan ratio is 60:40. There's a nifty little chart on their homepage (http://med.stanford.edu/md/financial_aid/index.html) that compares their aid with other private schools. The grants max out at $29K, after which there are definitely subsidized loans to cover the rest. There's also a middle income assistance program for families with incomes over $120K, where the university matches every dollar you pay with a grant dollar, up to $20K. In addition, the Med Scholars program offers $12K research grants (you can apply twice, as well as once for a $2500 traveling grant) and if you TA or RA, you can get up to $12K a quarter for a 100% TA- or RAship (I think pay rate is $56/hour). So even though the tuition and cost of living is a bit hefty, the average indebtedness of Stanford students is pretty low (less than $70K in 1999, as compared to over $100K at other private institutions). That makes it a really desirable option, especially for Oregonians like me, who face a state school that has $25K+ tuition rates!!

Mayo gives lots of half or full rides. Their full tuition is lower than many state schools' in-state tuition

Baylor is extremely cheap both in ($6,550) and out of state ($19,650)

Duke is cheaper because a lot of times grants will help cover the third year.

Mayo is very cheap to begin with as well.

Through needs analysis, Duke gives a flat out GRANT for 60% of your demonstrated need. No unit loan figured in before this.

CCW

Originally posted by Gleevec
Baylor is extremely cheap both in ($6,550) and out of state ($19,650)

Duke is cheaper because a lot of times grants will help cover the third year.

Mayo is very cheap to begin with as well.

man!! baylor's out of state is cheaper than my state schools' in state!! this is why i have no qualms about attending a private school...i will be so profoundly in debt if i do go to a state school anyway (i figured i'd be about $160,000 in debt if i go to ohio state or cinci), so what's another $60,000 for a private education?