Best for General Anatomy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiologyman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most gross anatomy books have an introduction chapter dedicated to General Anatomy but my school makes me study General Anatomy in a lot more detail than is written in the introduction so I was wondering if any one knows a good book with in depth General Anatomy other than Gray's Anatomy which is way to dense and spread out to read. Does anyone know about a good General Anatomy book dedicated only to that specific subject???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "general anatomy". That said, the introductory chapter in Big Moore is about seventy pages.

Might want to ask some vet students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd ask the course director.

I know that most gross anatomy books have an introduction chapter dedicated to General Anatomy but my school makes me study General Anatomy in a lot more detail than is written in the introduction so I was wondering if any one knows a good book with in depth General Anatomy other than Gray's Anatomy which is way to dense and spread out to read. Does anyone know about a good General Anatomy book dedicated only to that specific subject???

Like others, I have no idea what you mean when you say "general anatomy." I see that you are pre-med, so I'm assuming that you want to get a head start on gross before you start med school even though you haven't gotten in yet. Don't bother; enjoy your life while you still have one. Even if you do try to learn any anatomy you'll forget it and all that you learn is going to have to be learned in one day anyway, so don't bother.

I would also note that if you school covers "general anatomy" is much more detail than whats in the texbooks, that all the additional information you would need should be in your syllabus.

I would also note that if you school covers "general anatomy" is much more detail than whats in the texbooks, that all the additional information you would need should be in your syllabus.

If your school covers anatomy more than what's in Moore & Dailey, you should consider transfer or quit before your brain gets totally burned out.

yea actually my school does becasue im an FMG student and it covers General Anatomy the 1st chapter of KLM in a lot more detail with supplementary books so what I mean is like

1.classification of joints: fibrous and the further classification of fibrous joints into the suture types
2.the lines present on the skin like Langer lines and etc
3.the classifiacation of all the muscles into what types they are like multipennate bipennate tricipital digastric and etc

so does anyone know of another book which has GA in more depth than KLM kind of like the Gray's Anatomy version of GA??

1. That one was covered within the first lecture of my anatomy course
2. Lines present on the skin? Do you mean palmar creases etc.?
3. Well, you can pretty much tell the classification of muscles by looking at them... not that complicated...

Those are only theoretical "lines." They're more important when planning incisions and the like.
yes, you are right, but the pre-clinical student should take a general idea about these lines.
Anyway, " physiologyman ";
When I was in the first year, I studied "General Anatomy", and I used "snell" as a textbook, the chapter was about 70 pages, and I think it was enough to cover "GA", so if your school teaches it in more details, you gotta make notes during lectures, and as"EMH" said; ask your course director about the resources.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
The textbook that I used for my undergrad anatomy course covered the topics you're looking for pretty well...the author was Martini, and I was able to get it at my uni library, so you might be able to find it without having to buy it (it was upwards of $200). It had chapters devoted to explaining the joint and muscle classifications, and actually wasn't too horribly dry to read through.

are u serious that book is like 700 pages i need something less dense than that I think the GA in that is more than that in all of Gray's Anatomy

Martini is an introductory Anatomy and Physiology textbook, there's lots of stuff in there but at a basic level. There is much more gross anatomy in Gray's For Students and a lot more physiology in pretty much any dedicated physiology textbook.

Why don't you just ask some second years at your school what book to get? They'll have a better idea of what material is covered than you or any of us will.