Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Best Gross Anatomy text?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by jjash, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jjash

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've looked through the old threads but I wanted to hear some fresh thoughts on subject. In your opinion what is the best gross anatomy text (ex. Gray's, Netters, etc)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Oracle DMD

Oracle DMD Chuck NOracle DMD
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
  4. denticus

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    "Netter's is Better"

5. redroulette

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try achaland video and lecture notes
    with the almighty grays

6. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Netter's is an awesome atlas.
    If you're doing dissections too, McMinn's (I think) has fantastic pictures of actual corpses.

7. If you can find the CD rom version of Netter's Atlas, that is the ONLY thing I used and aced the class when others in my class struggled their butts off to get good grades. Granted, I only needed to use it for lab portion since everythig for the didactic portion of the class was given to us in lecture. So, if you need a text book for explaining things, it wouldn't help you. But if you just need it for the atlas portoin, the Netter's Atlas on CD ROM is perfect since you can link every picture related of any anatomical feature to each other and view them from different perspectives with one click of a button. You can get small explanations. You can set up quizzes for yourself. I would never spend the entire lab session in the gross lab and never come in the lab to study before a lab practical unless someone wanted me to teach them.

You are going to get a bunch of suggestions to choose from here. My suggestion is nice in tht you don't have to lug around another book. Just place it in a pocket of a binder and off you go.

8. jmick101

jmick101 Kung Fu DDS
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Rohens Color Atlas of Anatomy. Netters is also good, but for practical exams, nothing is as good as Rohens. It is full color actual cadavers dissected by the dissecting gods themselves. This book is money. Trust me and buy this book, worth every penny.

9. xtractime

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    gonna have to give the +2 on Rohen's. netter's is good for reading along with classnotes to reference yourself. rohen's will prep you well for the lab IDs.

10. DCRedskinsRule

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    anyone know about the Gilroy atlas? I haven't heard much about it...but what I have heard has been pretty good...

11. DrTacoElf

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  12. yorkiepoo

yorkiepoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Netter's is VERY good. It is very useful in conceptualizing anatomy. Rohen's is very good too, especially right before an exam/practical. I bought both, but if I was to do it again, I would buy only Netter and use the Rohen's that's at the library.

13. mamelons

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I liked Netters... but nothing was more helpful than the new dissection videos one of our course directors put together for us last year. Perfectly dissected cadavers with structures zoomed in up close and then shown in relation to other structures... ability to pause and take screen shots, etc.