Best Histology Books and/or Atlases and Why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post what you think are the best histology atlases and/or books and why
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

At our school we have laserdiscs called "Histotime" that are absolutely exhaustive slide reviews of histology. No one goes to lecture any more. We all just cram in front of Histotime before the exams! They are supposedly working on a CD ROM of Histotime, but I wouldn't hold my breath for seeing it this year. Next year, it should be ready to go. Get this and share it with some friends, if/when it's available.

OK - I see a theme here. When I answered your first post, I didn't see all the others. But, what the heck - I have some free time - so I'll play...

Our school used the "Visual Histology" video series - hosted by a groovy guy we affectionately refer to as Doctor Dave. After about a month, we all quit looking at our microscopes and saw all the videos again right before the exam. The exam slides came from a video disk - so each example was a good example of what we were being asked to see. Made fussing around with 20 year old slides sort of useless. Also, we used Wheater for the pictures (I think there was a new edition last year - I used the older one and it was fine). Junquiera is really good for the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Color Atlas Of Histology
by Leslie P. Gartner and James L. Hiatt (second edition).

Excellent atlas!

My vote's for Wheater's Functional Histology (Text and Atlas) by Young and Heath. It includes a CD-ROM that has all the pictures in the atlas so you can make your own slide shows. The only downside is the British spellings (i.e. "oesophagus", "haemoglobin", and "neurone")
smile.gif

There is no good book for Histology. None of them help. Just my humble opinion..

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by WingZero:
My vote's for Wheater's Functional Histology (Text and Atlas) by Young and Heath. It includes a CD-ROM that has all the pictures in the atlas so you can make your own slide shows. The only downside is the British spellings i.e., "oesophagus", "haemoglobin", and "neurone")
smile.gif

Gee - how do YOU spell those words?!
wink.gif
My theory is that the addition of "o" and "a" in many words is the reason why the international version of Harrison's is so much longer.

At any rate, I agree if you use a text Wheater is the best - make sure you also pick up his HistoPath text as well.