Best Home buys for UHS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rellik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I have been accepted to UHS for the fall! My wife and I will most likely purchase a home in the KC area and have a few questions;

1. What are the best areas to buy (considering cost (75-100K), proximity to UHS, shopping, etc...)?

2. Any recommendations on a "good" realtor??? (I have had bad ones in the past and would prefer to get started in the right direction.)

3. If there are any general areas, where do other students that own homes live?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

r

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! I too will be attending UHS in the fall. My wife and I are in the same situation that you in regarding housing.

So far I have found out a few good things to do/check out. To get a good feel for the area and prices check out realtor.com. We found that most of Johnson county is pretty nice, however I believe there are a number of other good areas that a realtor can help you find. We have just started working with our agent. She was recommended to us by a family member who is realtor in our area (Seattle, WA). If you are interested her name is Jane Sauve (at Coldwell Banker 1-800-403-0945). We will be making a trip to KC May 8-12 to buy a house. If you have any more questions (or insights of your own to share) please e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Best wishes,
Jamison Nielsen

[This message has been edited by jamison (edited March 29, 2001).]

Thanks, Jamison:

I really appreciate the input. As I learn things, I will send you what ever I kind find that might be of assistance. Please keep me in mind as well.

r

Members don't see this ad :)

I too am looking for a good realtor and a house in the same price range. Me and my girlfriend are going to KC tomorrow just to see the school, look at different neighborhoods, etc. I look forward to anymore advice either of you have.
[email protected]

I would like to recommend Jan Pyle from J.D. Reece, if any of you is thinking about looking at properties north of the river (Gladstone and north). Her phone number is:
816-468-8555.

She was our realtor when we were looking for a house in KC. She is extremely helpfull and not pushy at all(like some realtors that try to show you only stuff that is at the upper limit of what you can afford). She worked with us on something that met our price range (also between 80-100k)and which met the long list of specifications we had.

There are many nice areas in Gladstone and just north of Gladstone. Low crime, easy commute to school on 169 or I-29.

Liberty also has some nice areas, but it is a little longer commute. Personally, I would avoid areas that required driving on I-70 or the southern parts of I-435. Traffic is very heavy during rush hour on I-435 and it is generally heavy at all times on I-70 since it is such a major interstate.

Houses in Olathe and Shawnee, which are nice areas, are more expensive than north of the river and you get a lot less for your money. Olathe is easily a 45 min plus commute to UHS, when there isn't an accident on the hwy. Johnson Co. is a mixed bag of great areas and not-so-great-areas, and I would give the later a wide berth.

I have seen a great deal about Gladstone. Does anyone know if the real estate there is a fairly fluid market. I ask b/c my wife and I currently own a home in an area that afforded us more home for the $, but will be harder to sell quickly.

Some unsolicited and controversial advice is to purchase in a highly fluid market (which typically translates into higher cost, less home for the $). In this situation, you are more likley to realize a greater appreciation of the home's value over the years while in med school. Once you need to sell, you should be able to unload the home easier and for (hopefuly) a profit. Not too many med students I know can float two mortagages at the same time
smile.gif

Holding that this is NOT always true, it is correct a great deal of the time. Someone once told me that you make money in real estate on the "buy" rather than the sell. I guess it means to buy an older home in need of refurb (but who will have time to do that???) or purchase in a moving market.

I only wish I had know this a few years ago. It is amazing what experience teaches you. Hats off to those that were more savy than I their first time around!

I cannot speak about Gladstone in terms of buy/sale/resale as I live a few miles north of Gladstone. The house we bought had been in the market for only 2 weeks before we decided to buy it. In the 3 years we have been here, there were 3 houses that went up for sale on our street. The cheapest was around 115k. They all sold in less than 2 months.

KC is really expanding. The reason why real estate is generally cheaper north of the river is that 10 years ago, all this was farmland. People used to think that KCI (the main airport) was waaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere. So, there is a certain misconception. Now KC is densely populated between the river and the airport,with a tremendous amount of development north of the airport too.