Best ICU pocketbook?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by docmanphilly, Jun 29, 2002.

1. docmanphilly

docmanphilly Junior Member

What do people recommend as a good pocketbook for ICU/Critical Care?

I already have a good text, but am looking for something to reference in the units.

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The "Gold Standard" is the Marino paperback, but it's not pocketbook size, but I believe a lot of MICUs have at least one copy on hand at all times. Hope this helps.

4. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I agree. The ICU Book by Marino is great. After reading it, I felt that it had more of his "opinions" than actual standard of care. But after asking two pulmonologists about it, they both said it was a great book for my level (as a 4th year). Plus, its pretty easy to read. I bought mine used on Amazon for 30 something. It is too big to put in your labcoat but ok to carry around on top of a clipboard.
    Q

5. Becket

Becket Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Handbook of Evidence-Based Critical Care by Paul Marik covers most topics that are relevant for the ICU in pretty good detail. And it will fit in your pocket!

6. neutropeniaboy

neutropeniaboy Blasted ENT Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NuMD97:
    <strong>The "Gold Standard" is the Marino paperback, but it's not pocketbook size, but I believe a lot of MICUs have at least one copy on hand at all times. Hope this helps.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No pocket possessed by an intern or medical student is too small...

7. The Tarascon Handbook of Internal Medicine and Critical Care is small and chocked full of good stuff.

8. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Originally posted by Neutropeniaboy:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> No pocket possessed by an intern or medical student is too small... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Also true. :) I was disappointed that the new lab coats are very small pocket-wise. Oftentimes the women opt for the men's coats just for the ample pocket space.

Have you noticed that some paperbacks are tailoring their shapes for just such use? The Ferri is one and there's a neat opthalmo book that has curved corners for easy slipping in and out of pockets. Never seen another book like that one.