Best installation in Korea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For lack of a better term, what is the all-around "best" army installation in Korea? i.e. access to modern amenities, close to recreation (beach, mountains, etc)

I know they are closing up shop at Yongsan in Seoul, but is anywhere else pretty nice?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard do you want to work ? The more amenities, the higher the pt load, dependents, command BS.

Soft living attracts REMFs and their accompanying BS like flies to manure

turkish said:
For lack of a better term, what is the all-around "best" army installation in Korea? i.e. access to modern amenities, close to recreation (beach, mountains, etc)

I know they are closing up shop at Yongsan in Seoul, but is anywhere else pretty nice?

from my time there, i would say that the camp walker or camp carroll would be the best place to go for new doctors.

the camps near seoul are very congested and the lifestyle is hetic. also, there are too many senior officers for my liking. i think you'll a little more autonomy and less stress.

taegu is very close the great beaches of the sea of japan and near some of the best mountains in korea.

i hear yongsan is tough to get if you're right out of school

Members don't see this ad :)
Osan AB or Camp Humphreys in/around Pyongtek have a good quality of life. Most of the functions and associated goodies from Yonsan in Seoul are going to Pyongtek area.

Camp Stanley, in Uijongbu. They're close to the subway down to Seoul. 15 minutes from downtown Uijongbu by bus.

They have aviation and division artillery. You can fly all you want. great hiking up a mountain, park attached to the back of the camp. Buddist temple at the back door. Superhootches for 0-3 and up.

Far enough away from the flagpole at CRC minimum of command crap. Just keep the Divarty and AVN commander happy and you got it made. Minimum of dependents to mess with (probably changing now) unless you like neurotic desperate housewives.

The docs went to Okinawa, China, Thailand on the weekend. The camp is being upgraded facility wise. They had a really cool old-style officers club with a lot of character, but they tore it down and probably replaced it with something sterile and generic looking by now

Downside: Freak-show in Saigon-like "me so hoowney" ville attached to the gate. You'll spend the usual payday weekend cutting, sewing and dragging your soldiers out of the bar and trying keep them from marrying Russian ******.

If you have seen my other posts, you know I don't have much good to say about the big green machine, but if you gotta go to Korea... this is the best place for a doc to take a break , I heard K-16 is the absolute best, but you gotta make dope deals to get it, like bite off a second tour.

Awesome, thanks to everyone for the responses.

How is Busan (pusan)? Looks nice and big, near the water, etc.

Does anyone know the number to call for assignments/openings? I can't find it anywhere on the net.

I just spent 2 year in Korea before just starting Residency. The info you are getting is a bit outdated. I was a brigade surgeon in the Camp Casey/Hovey Enclave. We were the biggest unit in Korea and the most important unit there- We had all the tanks and infantry. I was the Doctor for all the trigger pullers.

the Aviation units have moved to Humphreys and the DIVARTY have has moved to Casey(they are much smaller now- less BN's). yongsan is all about shamming.

In terms of busy posts- Casey is the busiest post in Korea. There is so much army **** going on there. There are units in the field all the time. It is a train ride to Seoul- not too long, but you can only really go on weekends.

Any more questions about Korea- I will be more that willing to answer.

alpha62 said:
Camp Stanley, in Uijongbu. They're close to the subway down to Seoul. 15 minutes from downtown Uijongbu by bus.

They have aviation and division artillery. You can fly all you want. great hiking up a mountain, park attached to the back of the camp. Buddist temple at the back door. Superhootches for 0-3 and up.

Far enough away from the flagpole at CRC minimum of command crap. Just keep the Divarty and AVN commander happy and you got it made. Minimum of dependents to mess with (probably changing now) unless you like neurotic desperate housewives.

The docs went to Okinawa, China, Thailand on the weekend. The camp is being upgraded facility wise. They had a really cool old-style officers club with a lot of character, but they tore it down and probably replaced it with something sterile and generic looking by now

Downside: Freak-show in Saigon-like "me so hoowney" ville attached to the gate. You'll spend the usual payday weekend cutting, sewing and dragging your soldiers out of the bar and trying keep them from marrying Russian ******.

If you have seen my other posts, you know I don't have much good to say about the big green machine, but if you gotta go to Korea... this is the best place for a doc to take a break , I heard K-16 is the absolute best, but you gotta make dope deals to get it, like bite off a second tour.

What do they have at Stanley now ? If DIVARTY and 2/2 and that pain in the ass ASB is gone, the quality of life should be even better there now for medical? They have lots of unsponsored dependents moving in there too then ?

hosskp1 said:
I just spent 2 year in Korea before just starting Residency. The info you are getting is a bit outdated. I was a brigade surgeon in the Camp Casey/Hovey Enclave. We were the biggest unit in Korea and the most important unit there- We had all the tanks and infantry. I was the Doctor for all the trigger pullers.

the Aviation units have moved to Humphreys and the DIVARTY have has moved to Casey(they are much smaller now- less BN's). yongsan is all about shamming.

In terms of busy posts- Casey is the busiest post in Korea. There is so much army **** going on there. There are units in the field all the time. It is a train ride to Seoul- not too long, but you can only really go on weekends.

Any more questions about Korea- I will be more that willing to answer.

If you're going to Korea, then you might as well do it up right and try to live as close to seoul as possible. The people I know who did GMO tours near seoul all had very good things to say about it. Whereas, the people I know who did GMO tours elsewhere didn't have the same positive attitude (in fact, many had a seriously negative attitude).

BTW, are you married? If you're single, Seoul is a great place to live for a couple years. I wouldn't worry about clinic schedule. You're better off being a cool city and working hard than being bored as hell in the boonies.

We set it up nicely and had way more free time at Stanley than people in Seoul had. But things do appear to be changing. Any good deal in the army is bound to get ruined before too long.

Mirror Form said:
If you're going to Korea, then you might as well do it up right and try to live as close to seoul as possible. The people I know who did GMO tours near seoul all had very good things to say about it. Whereas, the people I know who did GMO tours elsewhere didn't have the same positive attitude (in fact, many had a seriously negative attitude).

BTW, are you married? If you're single, Seoul is a great place to live for a couple years. I wouldn't worry about clinic schedule. You're better off being a cool city and working hard than being bored as hell in the boonies.